Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was he the same caller who last week said it was Yze/chocco Williams team?

I guess if you throw enough darts one will land

Not sure, the two statements I can recall were Mitchell won't be in consideration and Don Pyke was out of the race for head coach.

Personally I'd prefer us stay clear of Clarko, I think there's too much hype with his name and this comes with $$$.

Also there hasn't been a lot of news around the coaching position, typically we have leaks everywhere. Hopefully the coaching decision panel are able to keep everything under wrap.

On exposed ability/form Tapping is way behind the lead pack - so why are you sold on him?
Just on Tapping, no idea if he’d make a good AFL head coach (how do you know w anyone the first time?) but I will say I loved watching the VLF when he was running the show
Had the respect of the players, they were always alert when he addressed them, and he also had a bit of fire to command respect as well
I think he was also in Brisbane when they started turning things around
I like the idea of older state-league type coaches

However… just to be clear, I have no idea who we should be getting
Don’t care about “name” - just want results

Wasn’t he a development coach for us a while back?

Yes.

1995–1996 Brisbane Bears Player
1997–2004 Brisbane Lions Player - 3 x Premiership player
2007-2009 Player Development Coach with the Richmond Football Club
2009 VFL Coach Coburg
2010 Development coach Brisbane Lions
2011- 2015 Head of Development Collingwood
2016 -2019 Richmond VFL Coach - 2019 VFL premiership
2020 Richmond Assistant coach - Forward Line
2021 Hawthorn Assistant Coach

• AFLCA Development Coach of the Year 2012
  • VFL Premiership Coach: 2019
  • VFL Coach of the Year: 2019
  • AFLCA Assistant Coach of the Year: 2019

Yes.

1995–1996 Brisbane Bears Player
1997–2004 Brisbane Lions Player - 3 x Premiership player
2007-2009 Player Development Coach with the Richmond Football Club
2009 VFL Coach Coburg
2010 Development coach Brisbane Lions
2011- 2015 Head of Development Collingwood
2016 -2019 Richmond VFL Coach - 2019 VFL premiership
2020 Richmond Assistant coach - Forward Line
2021 Hawthorn Assistant Coach

• AFLCA Development Coach of the Year 2012
  • VFL Premiership Coach: 2019
  • VFL Coach of the Year: 2019
  • AFLCA Assistant Coach of the Year: 2019
Impressive CV.
I wonder why he moved from Assistant Coach Richmond (in Premiership mode/window) to Hawthorn (bottoming out/developing).
Thats one question I would ask during interview.

Nah you'd know it by now. Pyke's a good honest "career coach"....is he any more capable than Bucks....nah. Is he tough enough to "do what has to be done" at the Pies (eg: Nuke the joint...lol...let the board (and everybody else at the club) know what they can and can't do..) I don't think he's that guy.
You’re kidding right? He turned Adelaide in to the best drilled team in the comp by a country mile in 2017, he was just unlucky that Richmond had Martin and his players choked on the big stage.
He’s turned Sydney from a perennialy dour defensive side in to one of the most exciting attacking teams in the comp in the space of an off-season. The way they move the ball has his fingerprints all over it.
It’s bizarre that you’d think he’s not capable of doing what needs to be done given his record, and you’ve really got no idea what he’s like as a person outside the snippets you’ve seen in press conferences.

You’re kidding right? He turned Adelaide in to the best drilled team in the comp by a country mile in 2017, he was just unlucky that Richmond had Martin and his players choked on the big stage.
He’s turned Sydney from a perennialy dour defensive side in to one of the most exciting attacking teams in the comp in the space of an off-season. The way they move the ball has his fingerprints all over it.
It’s bizarre that you’d think he’s not capable of doing what needs to be done given his record, and you’ve really got no idea what he’s like as a person outside the snippets you’ve seen in press conferences.

With all due respect Apex, you're making my points for me in what you're saying. Pyke had his Crows well drilled and predictable. That THEY failed at the last hurdle was very reminiscent of the Bobby Rose teams of the 60's and 70's (supreme all year and then failing when the heat was applied in GF's). That's why I want a coach who is non-negotiable, a straight talker and unafraid to lead. The fact that Pyke allowed the silly stuff at the camp to take place showed inexperience but its something I'm pretty sure a Matthews or a Malthouse would have said no to even in their formative coaching years.

His influence at the Swans is showing benefits but would they replace Longmire with him? (I don't think so)

I realise that people sick of the Buckley "dour, defensive side" want an attacking coach and I too enjoy watching players take the game on and use their skills. I believe that a great coach will instil both attacking systems and defensive modes and that is what is working well now at the Swans (as well as having a band of high draft picks playing in the same team) Longmire is defence first and Pyke has helped improve their offensive system.

You're correct in that I've only met the bloke a couple of times and don't know his coaching MO intimately, but IMHO he's an honest footy person with a high footy IQ. Inspirational??? I found him a lot like Bucks to talk to actually...

Of all the novice options Blake Caracella remains the standout candidate for mine.

Has now gained experience and developed his craft under the tutelage of 5 Premiership winning coaches in Malthouse, Thompson, C. Scott, Hardwick and Worsfold.

The coaching panels he has been a part of have won 3 Premierships while there have been another 6 seasons where they guided their side to the Preliminary final.

He was part of 2 Premiership teams as a player.

Caracella is now in his second season at Essendon and alongside Rutten (technically his 1st season as senior coach) they have lifted Essendon from 6.5 wins after 17 games in 2020 to 8 wins at the same stage.

More significantly though their percentage has increased from 79.2 to 104.5 and they're presently the 3rd highest scoring side in the competition (up from 14th last season).
I’m still in the Choco with Caracella, Buddha, Leppa or Scarlett coaching camp if we could get them and they come under our cap.

I’ll put the Cat amongst the Pigeons here and whilst acknowledging Clarko is one of the best of coaches of the modern era, why (other than his flags and killer instinct as others have said here) is he the right fit for Collingwood? Is it more relying on his prestige of three flags? Can he right this ship? How so? Would Hardwick be just as worth chasing if comparing the lineage?

Not saying Clarko wouldn’t be the man if we could get him but wondering why many think he would be our white knight in comparison to others.

It was reported on 3AW today that Clarkson will not be at the Pies.

The attached article by Sam McClure states Clarkson is unlikely to be appointed as Nathan Buckley’s successor at Collingwood, after multiple sources confirmed a falling out between him and his former football boss Graham Wright, who is now at the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was reported on 3AW today that Clarkson will not be at the Pies.

The attached article by Sam McClure states Clarkson is unlikely to be appointed as Nathan Buckley’s successor at Collingwood, after multiple sources confirmed a falling out between him and his former football boss Graham Wright, who is now at the Pies.
Never going to love everyone ya work with, seriously get some cement up ya wrighty

Reckon the Blues will sack Teague for Clarko regardless of where they finish.
So they should. The only concern I had about about Clarko was he may have been to the well enough already but this succession plan has well and truly stoked his fires I think. And not in a MM type way, I can see Clarko burning to show he’s the GOAT and to achieve success at the Pies or the scum would go a long way towards that.
As Dubai said I can’t see Korda letting this opportunity slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back