List Mgmt. Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By us saying we will match any offer, doesn't it guarantee that North will pick him at #1? Couldn't we have possibly saved a few points by saying nothing and potentially having to match a (slightly) lower bid? Or was it all but guaranteed he'd go #1 anyway?
The whole world knew we would match any offer. Or are you saying clubs would believe we were stupid enough to pass on a bid at 1 in favour of retaining pick 30 something?

The confirmation we’d match any bid changes absolutely nothing.

If North have Daicos as Number 1 on their draft board…they will pick him.
We just need to bank some more points…to cover the bid & hope that Dib stays outside top 40.
If Dib is outside top 40, then we can match with our next pick even if its pick 70

For those undecided about Daics Snr the following video should be conclusive.

Look especially for the contest between Daics and Gastev. Daics in the right fwd pocket right on the boundary, tackled and dragged backwards away from goal. Whilst being dragged down backwards he deliberately turns the ball and angles it through for a goal.

He wasn't called the master for nothing.

I don't think Nick Daicos will play particularly like either Peter or Didak (both of whom were stars - Dids averaged 25 touches and kicked 41 goals in our flag year!). He is much more of an accumulator than either of they were.

His absolute best case is a GAJ type (not saying this is likely, before anyone tears my head off). That kind of accumulating mid who knows where the goals are. I think his nose for the ball will translate immediately much like Sam Walsh's did, but I don't think he'll get as much midfield run immediately compared to Walsh.

More of a medium sized forward. Daics was not small.

You're right, he didn't play small. Like Jezza and Baldock Daics was a superb BODY player and he read the ball both in flight and off the deck better than anyone I've ever seen. That coupled with a brilliant reflexes and skills honed to perfection meant he only ever needed "half a chance" to turn nothings into goals.

You're right, he didn't play small. Like Jezza and Baldock Daics was a superb BODY player and he read the ball both in flight and off the deck better than anyone I've ever seen. That coupled with a brilliant reflexes and skills honed to perfection meant he only ever needed "half a chance" to turn nothings into goals.
Yes a vastly underrated contested mark, overshadowed by his truly astonishing goal kicking.

For those undecided about Daics Snr the following video should be conclusive.

Look especially for the contest between Daics and Gastev. Daics in the right fwd pocket right on the boundary, tackled and dragged backwards away from goal. Whilst being dragged down backwards he deliberately turns the ball and angles it through for a goal.

He wasn't called the master for nothing.

Thanks for the memories....again!
Geez he was a ripper eh?

I spoke to him at a footy club night about 6 years ago and told him I actually got emotional watching him perform his magic and even occasionally shed tears. His response was so kind I've never forgotten it. He is a beautiful human being.

Interesting to hear that Daic's spoke to Gold Coast, and then considered entering the draft as an open draftee. Apparently the pressure of playing with the Daicos name at Collingwood, was making him consider his options in the draft.
Great to see he stuck with the Pies, and he will be given all support from the club, members and supporters in the early years of his career. He would’ve regretted not playing at the Pies, alongside his brother, and the club of his dad.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to hear that Daic's spoke to Gold Coast, and then considered entering the draft as an open draftee. Apparently the pressure of playing with the Daicos name at Collingwood, was making him consider his options in the draft.
Great to see he stuck with the Pies, and he will be given all support from the club, members and supporters in the early years of his career. He would’ve regretted not playing at the Pies, alongside his brother, and the club of his dad.....
where did you hear that? Well fair enough he considered his options, but I think at the end of the day, he knew what was best for him. he would have ended up at north or still picked by us in the open draft.

I can't imagine he is bothered by pressure. Feels like he would thrive on it.

eta:

Nevermind I see it.

I think this would have been a very brief thought, maybe during the bucks/ed drama earlier in the year. On field didn't help, but I think he would have seen in the 2nd part of the year there was a lot to be excited about.

I did notice he had followed the suns recruiting manager on insta for a few weeks... this would have been april-may, but then he unfollowed him, so that would have been when he changed his mind. Prob mid year.

Last edited:
where did you hear that? Well fair enough he considered his options, but I think at the end of the day, he knew what was best for him. he would have ended up at north or still picked by us in the open draft.

I can't imagine he is bothered by pressure. Feels like he would thrive on it.

eta:

Nevermind I see it.

I think this would have been a very brief thought, maybe during the bucks/ed drama earlier in the year. On field didn't help, but I think he would have seen in the 2nd part of the year there was a lot to be excited about.

I did notice he had followed the suns recruiting manager on insta for a few weeks... this would have been april-may, but then he unfollowed him, so that would have been when he changed his mind. Prob mid year.

Reckon a few Bottom Sides had Words with at least Nicks Mangement

Doesn't matter now of course, he made the right decision.

Father-son draft prospect Nick Daicos was tempted to play for the Gold Coast Suns to avoid the expectation that would come from going to Collingwood, according to SEN's Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund.

Daicos, whose father is Collingwood royalty Peter Daicos, has long been touted as a potential number one draft pick after impressing in the NAB League for the Oakleigh Chargers and at Collingwood during the 2021 pre-season.

He recently committed to becoming a Magpie as a father-son selection in this year's National Draft.

However, despite the lure to represent his father’s club and play alongside brother Josh, Edmund understands the Suns made a strong pitch to the 18-year-old.

“He was tempted by a presentation from the Gold Coast before nominating Collingwood,” Edmund told SEN’s Whateley.

“But he had doubts for a time whether he would nominate as a father-son.

“He was weary of the expectation and pressure of following in his father’s footsteps at a big club and for a time the teenager contemplated whether just to back himself in and go to the draft, and that consideration was fuelled in part by a mid-season meeting with Gold coast, in which Daicos was impressed with the fledging club.”

Being a Carey Grammar student, Daicos has ties to the Suns with former school mates Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson departing for the Sunshine State following the 2019 draft.

Despite the pitch and the ideology behind it, it’s not certain how Gold Coast would have been able to secure Daicos.

“It was unclear how the Suns would have got him in the door at the draft given their first pick doesn’t come until after North Melbourne and GWS,” Edmund said.

“Collingwood have promised to match any bid that comes Daicos’ way.

“There were a number of other clubs that did privately discuss whether to put in some really lucrative deals just so he wouldn’t nominate Collingwood.”

If North Melbourne choose to bid on Daicos at pick one and Collingwood match it as promised, he will be the Pies’ first number one draft pick since 1999.

Any truth or bit of a media bs?
No idea, but there was rumours earlier/mid-season. He did follow the suns recruiting manager for a few weeks. I was a bit nervous for a time.

But Nick doesn't appear to me as someone that would care about pressure. But nevertheless, he is happy with his choice, that's all that matters.

Gee whiz. That's probably the sort of thing he was considering trying to avoid 😳😳😳

No idea, but there was rumours earlier/mid-season. He did follow the suns recruiting manager for a few weeks. I was a bit nervous for a time.

But Nick doesn't appear to me as someone that would care about pressure. But nevertheless, he is happy with his choice, that's all that matters.

The rumour is a bit odd though, as The Suns have never been expected to have one of the really early picks necessary for ND. I'd understand it if it was North or Hawthorn.

The rumour is a bit odd though, as The Suns have never been expected to have one of the really early picks necessary for ND. I'd understand it if it was North or Hawthorn.
Yeah, would have strugged to get there. Would have had to get through North and GWS (our pick) also another midfielder is not what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back