Universal Love Welcome BACK to Hawthorn: Andy Collins - Head of development

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping strategy isn't his job then!

*did playing that way get them to the GF & 3rd when they otherwise wouldn't have though?

You could argue that point. All I know is with the teams Norwood fielded, especially in 2012, Norwood Coach Nathan Bassett had a masterful defensive structure, one being deployed in the AFL at the time but relatively new to SANFL, and you had to find ways around it. IMHO, Collins didn't appear to make much effort to penetrate it. Once again, that's my opinion, not necessarily fact. I did get the feeling people at West Adelaide were quite happy with him overall, but not all that upset when he moved on.

In the 1996 Merger game Alastair Clarkson played for Melbourne in the back Pocket. Andy Collins played for Hawthorn in the back pocket.
And Collins was also strongly on the side of the No Vote along with Chris Langford (whom I would also love to see back at the club).
Just wish Kennett, Dunstall, Crawford and Holland had a little more faith - although Bung has done some great things for the club since then.

‘it was pretty much the Victorian boys against the merger

Always good to see a former Hawks champion return to the fold. The only thing I'm concerned about was when he coached West Adelaide in the SANFL, he was far too negative. Still, this is a different role and I wish him well.

He's a development coach, not a head coach or line coach so that doesn't really matter. That said, he took them from not playing finals to challenging, and they dropped immediately back down after he left.

He coached West Adelaide from 2009 to 2013. Had reasonable success getting them to a Grand Final in 2012 and third in 2013, but in the three finals he played against my club Norwood, I thought he didn't help himself by being way too defensive. In the 2012 2nd Semi, they kicked 2-5 to 8-13, and in the Grand Final kicked 3-12 to 12-7. The following year in the 2nd semi, they kicked 6-8 to 14-16.

A former work colleague of mine back in 2012 ran water or something at West Adelaide. The night of the Grand Final he called to say hi and he had someone with him who wanted to say hi........it was Andy Collins. He indulged my tool of a work mate and spent a few minutes chatting to some numptie he had never met just hours after coaching Westies to a GF loss.

Champ of a bloke and I hope I get the chance to say Gday in person some day.

You could argue that point. All I know is with the teams Norwood fielded, especially in 2012, Norwood Coach Nathan Bassett had a masterful defensive structure, one being deployed in the AFL at the time but relatively new to SANFL, and you had to find ways around it. IMHO, Collins didn't appear to make much effort to penetrate it. Once again, that's my opinion, not necessarily fact. I did get the feeling people at West Adelaide were quite happy with him overall, but not all that upset when he moved on.
He coached an unaffiliated VFL side to a premiership, which is a tough ask.

An interview with Andy Collins.

He has spoken about how he joined the Hawks, his talent identification, his excitement about our youngsters and he has also spoken about how DGB is tracking in terms of his development and where he's at (at 16:50).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back