Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably they're not real Muslims, right?

This decision has absolutely nothing to do with their belief system, right?

JackOutback Lsta062 JayJ20 tell everyone how the Taliban aren't sufficiently Islamic for this decision to be attributable to their religious beliefs.

Last edited:

The bible doesn't explicitly ban the use of condoms, yet the Catholic church has (and possibly still does).

Religious texts are open to interpretation. If someone reads the qu'ran and believes the words instruct them to kill unbelievers, their actions are undoubtedly caused by their faith.
Does this extend to when people read other books like The Catcher in the Rye and decide to murder people?

The mainstream Christian organizations have been forced to change some of their views and practises in line with modern standards.
Groups from certain other religions seem to take more of the approach that they should gain control of sections of society and force them back into barbaric ways.

For example, its unlikely that Gay couples or transgender people will cope well in Afghanistan in the near future.

Are they striving towards bettering the human race?
No they are not, but what is your point?

Some folks argue that "all cultures are equal".

I'm sorry but any culture that bans half the population from playing sport doesn't deserve to be defended by Western apologists.

And for folks who would claim "it's got nothing to do with Islam", consider the Taliban's reasons and justifications for such a ban. But of course, the belief system is not a factor. It's never a factor. It's because of "geopolitical factors". Or something. Ask JackOutback.

The Taliban is grotesque and religious doctrine is central to its worldview. And some folks say this doctrine is not incompatible with 21st-century, liberal, secular society?

This is medieval bullshit.

Personally I think it’s horrific, but what are you trying to convey?

Does this extend to when people read other books like The Catcher in the Rye and decide to murder people?

Do the authors and fans/followers of such books claim the text contained within them is the Word of an all-encompassing God?

Do the authors and fans/followers of such books claim the text contained within them is the Word of an all-encompassing God?

Can a non-Muslim claim the Koran made them do it? If not, why not?
Is there anything that stops a non-Muslim from claiming the Koran made them do it?
Is it automatically more believable when a Muslim does it as opposed to a non-Muslim?
Do you necessarily have to be a believer to act on the word of God?

Can a non-Muslim claim the Koran made them do it? If not, why not?

Non Muslims do not subscribe to the claim that the words contained in the Quran are the words of God and should be adhered to. The Quran does says, "With the truth we (God) have sent it down and with the truth it has come down.", so we assume that believers assume that what is contained in the Quran is 'truth'. The Quran also frequently asserts in its text that it is divinely ordained to the point where it is believed that it is the literal word of God.

Verse 59 of Surah An-Nisa in the Quran orders believers to obey Allah (the words of Allah are in the Quran) and obey the prophet. "And if you obey him, you will be rightly guided."

I of course believe in no such thing.

Is there anything that stops a non-Muslim from claiming the Koran made them do it?

Lack of belief that the Quran establishes 'truth'? Certainly whatever action I take in my life is not influenced by the words contained in the Quran.

Do you necessarily have to be a believer to act on the word of God?

I personally take no notice of what is purported to be the Word of God by adherents of whatever faith claims such. If someone chooses to act on the words contained in a religious text, then they are either a believer in the truth of such a text, or they are looking for some other sort of easy justification for their action.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Non Muslims do not subscribe to the claim that the words contained in the Quran are the words of God and should be adhered to. The Quran does says, "With the truth we (God) have sent it down and with the truth it has come down.", so we assume that believers assume that what is containd in the Quran is 'truth'. The Quran also frequently asserts in its text that it is divinely ordained to the point where it is believed that it is the literal word of God.

Verse 59 of Surah An-Nisa in the Quran orders believers to obey Allah (the words of Allah are in the Quran) and obey the prophet. "And if you obey him, you will be rightly guided."

I of course believe in no such thing.

Lack of belief that the Quran establishes 'truth'? Certainly whatever action I take in my life is not influenced by the words contained in the Quran.

I personally take no notice of what is purported to be the Word of God by adherents of whatever faith claims such. If someone chooses to act on the words contained in a religious text, then they are either a believer in the truth of such a text, or they are looking for some other sort of easy justification for their action.

The questions were simple.
Going by your logic it shouldn't matter if the person is Muslim or not.

All you have done is demonstrate the logical fallacy of your bullshit.

The questions were simple.

And I answered them.

I personally take no notice of what is purported to be the Word of God by adherents of whatever faith claims such. Whatever action I take in my life is not influenced by the words contained in the Quran.

Going by your logic it shouldn't matter if the person is Muslim or not.

I personally take no notice of what is purported to be the Word of God by adherents of whatever faith claims such. Whatever action I take in my life is not influenced by the words contained in the Quran.

All you have done is demonstrate the logical fallacy of your bullshit.

Ooooo. "Strawman"? Go on. You know you want to. Must be a couple of months now.

And I answered them.

Ooooo. "Strawman"? Go on. You know you want to. Must be a couple of months now.

Yeah nah, you didn't.
You tried to twist it into some other bullshit as you always do whenever it doesn't suit your bullshit.

The simple answer is you wouldn't automatically lay blame for the actions of a non-Muslim on a Muslim book even if that person cited the book as their motivation.

Yeah nah, you didn't.

Err, yeah I did.

The simple answer is you wouldn't automatically lay blame for the actions of a non-Muslim on a Muslim book even if that person cited the book as their motivation.

What's your point exactly?

As I said, non-Muslims do not subscribe to the claim that the words contained in the Quran are the words of God and should be adhered to. Muslims assume that what is contained in the Quran is 'truth' and as such that 'truth' could be used as a possible justification for various actions.

If non-Muslims are using the Quran as justification or explanation for their actions (which I find highly unlikely) then they often do so for reasons other than what might be in that particular text or rely on a extreme and often obscure interpretation of a section of that text or character that supposedly 'inspires' them.

For example the obsessive Mark Chapman, a recently converted Christian, took offense to John Lennon’s atheism. According to one interpretation he saw John Lennon as a phony, because Chapman saw God as real and also because Lennon preached 'imagine no possessions' yet was a millionaire. By killing Lennon, Chapman hoped to save children from emulating Lennon’s godless ways. The main character of 'Catcher in the Rye' Holden Caulfield was to be the "catcher in the rye" who saved children from falling over "some crazy cliff" in which one interpretation symbolised falling into the world of adults mostly made up of the "phonies" (like Lennon) that the main character hated. Chapman supposedly saw himself as the catcher in the rye of his generation, likening himself to Holden Caulfield in a book, which he knew was fiction and not necessarily was the literal 'truth'.

Then again Chapman may have just craved notoriety by killing someone famous, as apparently Paul McCartney, Johnny Carson and Ronald Reagan were also considered as possible targets, but as Chapman said in 2010, Lennon was chosen just out of convenience.

Last edited:
Err, yeah I did.

What's your point exactly?

As I said, non-Muslims do not subscribe to the claim that the words contained in the Quran are the words of God and should be adhered to. Muslims assume that what is contained in the Quran is 'truth' and as such that 'truth' could be used as a possible justification for various actions.

If non-Muslims are using the Quran as justification or explanation for their actions (which I find highly unlikely) then they often do so for reasons other than what might be in that particular text or rely on a extreme and often obscure interpretation of a section of that text or character that supposedly 'inspires' them.

For example the obsessive Mark Chapman, a recently converted Christian, took offense to John Lennon’s atheism. According to one interpretation he saw John Lennon as a phony, because Chapman saw God as real and also because Lennon preached 'imagine no possessions' yet was a millionaire. By killing Lennon, Chapman hoped to save children from emulating Lennon’s godless ways. The main character of 'Catcher in the Rye' Holden Caulfield was to be the "catcher in the rye" who saved children from falling over "some crazy cliff" in which one interpretation symbolised falling into the world of adults mostly made up of the "phonies" (like Lennon) that the main character hated. Chapman supposedly saw himself as the catcher in the rye of his generation, likening himself to Holden Caulfield in a book, which he knew was fiction and not necessarily was the literal 'truth'.

Then again Chapman may have just craved notoriety by killing someone famous, as apparently Paul McCartney, Johnny Carson and Ronald Reagan were also considered as possible targets, but as Chapman said in 2010, Lennon was chosen just out of convenience.

You are making an argument against your own argument by demonstrating that there isn't necessarily/always a direct link between what a book might say and what someone might do based on what they think the book said.
That's one part of it.

Another part is every Muslim I know takes their guidance from the Koran AND the Hadith, together.

You are making an argument against your own argument by demonstrating that there isn't necessarily/always a direct link between what a book might say and what someone might do based on what they think the book said.

I never said there was always a direct link between "what a book might say and what someone might do based on what they think the book said". I merely commented on the difference between the fiction story of 'Catcher in the Rye' and a work such as 'Quran', whose followers believe is the literal word of their God.

Dare I say it? Str..wm...n ?

Another part is every Muslim I know takes their guidance from the Koran AND the Hadith, together.

Well yes. So?

Last edited:
I never said there was always a direct link between "what a book might say and what someone might do based on what they think the book said". I merely commented on the difference between the fiction story of 'Catcher in the Rye' and a work such as 'Quran', whose followrs believe is the literal word of their God.

Dare I say it? Str..wm...n ?

Well yes. So?

You are as bad as, if not worse than, Sweet Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back