Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

What about those affected by the Black Death in 1665 and the Great Fire of London in 1666. They were the toughest generation!

I guess both those premiership years have an asterisk then.

In the words of Juan Antonio Samaranch the winner is Sydney Melbourne not just the AFL flag but the world leader in lockdown days. Congratulations to Captain Dan for creating a record never to be broken

The great plague of London killed 25% of the population outright.
Having a deep list would have been handy.
The greatest generation ? It's a toss up between
(a) WW11 gen. They copped growing up amid the trauma of parents damaged by WW1 experience, the Depression and WW11 yet still brought up the Boomer gen which changed Aus forever;
(b) Settlers/Pioneers, many of whom had survived the Famine yet opened up the country and established it.

Last edited:
The greatest generation ? It's a toss up between
(a) WW11 gen. They copped growing up amid the trauma of parents damaged by WW1 experience, the Depression and WW11 yet still brought up the Boomer gen which changed Aus forever;
(b) Settlers/Pioneers, many of whom had survived the Famine yet opened up the country and established it.

Those generations are both complete wimps compared to the first generation of Australians who arrived here 50,000 years ago. Those guys had to contend with megafauna with nothing but rocks and sticks.

Those generations are both complete wimps compared to the first generation of Australians who arrived here 50,000 years ...
A leisurely stroll down from New Guinea into the land of the Diprotodon, ambulatory butcher shops. Millenniums are that tough.

Lol.
Annastacia: “Everyone attending the NRL grand final must wear a mask at all times, except while eating or drinking.”
Every shot of the crowd: 99% not wearing masks.
They do spend a lot of their waking moments drinking in Queensland.

Would AFL fans or fans anywhere wear masks during a grand final? I think not.
Impossible to enforce in any practical way. I think they knew this. They just had to be seen to be saying the right things.

For those calling for opening up, no masks and so on it's very sobering to look at the situation in Israel.

Probably the most vaccinated nation on earth, after reaching peak rates of jabs, has now had to completely reassess its strategy.

According to an article in today's News.com.au (yeah, I know it's a Murdoch rag):

"Over 60 per cent of Israel’s population has received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine and nearly 3.5 million of Israel’s 9.3 million citizens have received a booster dose of the vaccine.
"When daily case numbers hovered around zero at the beginning of their summer, Israel’s businesses reopened, mass gatherings resumed, and face masks were tossed away as people flocked to beaches and restaurants.
"The optimism didn’t last long. By the beginning of September, cases had climbed to more than 20,000 a day, hospitalisations were rising and more than 50 deaths a day were being recorded."

20,000 cases a day in a nation of 9.3 million! Now the government is wanting people to have a booster on top of double vaccinations just to stem the tide.

This Delta variety is a very formidable enemy. The Israel experience also demonstrates that the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine fell by 22 per cent per month, with protection beginning to decline after about four months.

I hate to say it but to recall Churchill's words of WW11, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Last edited:
Is Victoria cursed or something? With our current level of vaccination combined with the lockdown shouldn’t the case numbers be going down already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Victoria cursed or something? With our current level of vaccination combined with the lockdown shouldn’t the case numbers be going down already?
Restrictions don't mean much if people aren't complying. The virus has spread right through pretty much every LGA in Melbourne now after a heap of people breached restrictions and had home visits over GF weekend etc. Look at the percentage of cases in Hume compared to elsewhere - its gone down a lot. 73 cases across 18 different regional LGAs.... It's on track to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. It's floored me today, couldn't sleep all night. Was getting random pains in my shoulder and quad, huge headache and back aches (similar to what you get with the flu).

Anyone else had these symptoms that can tell me how long I should expect it to last?

Restrictions don't mean much if people aren't complying. The virus has spread right through pretty much every LGA in Melbourne now after a heap of people breached restrictions and had home visits over GF weekend etc. Look at the percentage of cases in Hume compared to elsewhere - its gone down a lot. 73 cases across 18 different regional LGAs.... It's on track to get a lot worse before it gets better.

We will probably peak this year in the 3,000 range. Next year, easily in the 10k range maybe 15k.
Compliance is sporadic. Some people do a good job 90% of the time but few do it 100%. On our street, I would say that there are no longer any 100% households. I would say that 90% of households would comply 99% of the time…. The other 10% are mostly non-compliance except for masks while shopping.

For those calling for opening up, no masks and so on it's very sobering to look at the situation in Israel.

Probably the most vaccinated nation on earth, after reaching peak rates of jabs, has now had to completely reassess its strategy.

According to an article in today's News.com.au (yeah, I know it's a Murdoch rag):

"Over 60 per cent of Israel’s population has received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine and nearly 3.5 million of Israel’s 9.3 million citizens have received a booster dose of the vaccine.
"When daily case numbers hovered around zero at the beginning of their summer, Israel’s businesses reopened, mass gatherings resumed, and face masks were tossed away as people flocked to beaches and restaurants.
"The optimism didn’t last long. By the beginning of September, cases had climbed to more than 20,000 a day, hospitalisations were rising and more than 50 deaths a day were being recorded."

20,000 cases a day in a nation of 9.3 million! Now the government is wanting people to have a booster on top of double vaccinations just to stem the tide.

This Delta variety is a very formidable enemy. The Israel experience also demonstrates that the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine fell by 22 per cent per month, with protection beginning to decline after about four months.

I hate to say it but to recall Churchill's words of WW11, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Turns out the Astra Zeneca vaccine is not so bad after all. In Britain which uses AZ, vaccine immunity is holding up much better over time.

Had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. It's floored me today, couldn't sleep all night. Was getting random pains in my shoulder and quad, huge headache and back aches (similar to what you get with the flu).

Anyone else had these symptoms that can tell me how long I should expect it to last?
Anecdotally, the 1st shot of AZ is worse for flu-like symptoms while 2nd dose of Pfizer is worse. From what I've read, it's usually around 24 hrs. 36 if you're unlucky.

I’ve heard the first AZ is worse than the second (I found this to be so) and the other way round with Pfizer. Maybe a day or so.

I just had a sore arm with both my Pfizer jabs. And some mild tiredness after 4 beers.

Damn dude. Did you experience anything from the first one? I actually got the weird pains in my shoulder/trap area and calves after the first dose. It was a weird pinching feeling. I've got my second dose in 9 days and I'm kinda dreading it now.

Damn dude. Did you experience anything from the first one? I actually got the weird pains in my shoulder/trap area and calves after the first dose. It was a weird pinching feeling. I've got my second dose in 9 days and I'm kinda dreading it now.
Nothing really from the first one, just a bit of a numb arm where the needle went in (like I'd been corked). I expected that I'd get side effects from both tbh, my immune system is pretty average and always has been. Was dreading getting the second shot especially but just wanted to see how long the symptoms are expected to last. Sounds like it's a bit like a typical "24 hour flu".

Was mainly surprised by the pain in my quad last night. It was enough to wake me up and keep me up for an hour or two, but now there's literally no pain in that spot at all. Just odd and not a side effect I was expecting

I had very (very) similar symptoms after my second Pfizer. 36 hours later I was 89% better (which I believe is the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine).

Had my Pfizer shots in May/July, no after effects at all after either of them.

Hopefully you’re feeling better soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back