Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

The usual then?

Well there was also the period when Ando tried to make the default language of the board Greek.

And the short period when Freighty became Cargo_Ship, that sank faster than the Titanic.

And of course when Scorch was handing out the ban hammer like a mad man.

Oh and the period when Nato and Calo tried to pull a Parent Trap on us.

Plus of course as Nato said, the whole Prison Bar fights.

Fun times.

Well there was also the period when Ando tried to make the default language of the board Greek.
Περίμενε - δεν δούλευε? Γιατί δεν μπορώ να μιλάω Αγγλικά?!

Last edited:
Hey lads, I'm doing movember this year and trying to raise £250!

If you can spare a few bucks here or there please donate!

The Victorian any chance of a live reaction to the Hugh Greenwood news?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor on Hugh and North here. I’m not blaming the club here.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

miscusi?? Not North's fault a bloke didn't wanna go back to the club that delisted him. Especially if the next club to come knocking is winning 5 flags between 2022 - 2027.

Your not blaming GC for delisting a senior and required player?
It was an agreement between both parties that we were redrafting him. We had to draft 3 players but only needed 1 so that is where Hugh was delisted. Being the “clubman” that he is, he agreed to do so to allow us to meet the AFL requirements then he goes and does his stabbing us in the back in the process. It’s not just the suns that do this in terms of delisting then going to redraft.

just once i'd like an offseason where the suns don't make news for the wrong reasons.

don't care who was driving the outcome, just should not have even been a possibility in the first place. ****ed day.

just once i'd like an offseason where the suns don't make news for the wrong reasons.

don't care who was driving the outcome, just should not have even been a possibility in the first place. f’ed day.
Every day I feel sorry for the Suns, it feels wrong that the Giants have done good and Suns have done nothing. But really they do things like this and throw good players away, makes me rethink why I felt sorry in the first place.

It was an agreement between both parties that we were redrafting him. We had to draft 3 players but only needed 1 so that is where Hugh was delisted. Being the “clubman” that he is, he agreed to do so to allow us to meet the AFL requirements then he goes and does his stabbing us in the back in the process. It’s not just the suns that do this in terms of delisting then going to redraft.
Other clubs do this with out of contract fringe players or rookies where they re-rookie them in the rookie draft. Can't think of many clubs that delist a contracted first 22 player because they can't meet their minimum open list spots going into the draft. A complete list management failure by the Suns, regardless of whether or not you think Greenwood did the right thing.

Every day I feel sorry for the Suns, it feels wrong that the Giants have done good and Suns have done nothing. But really they do things like this and throw good players away, makes me rethink why I felt sorry in the first place.
there really has been a large number of controversial decisions & events over the years at the gold coast suns.

• made gary ablett jnr captain (led from the front on field, but probably pushed into the role as we had no one else)
  • went for super young list strategy early on, a couple aging mature recruits other than gaz.
  • guy mckenna inaugural head coach (no prior experience)
  • harley bennell dropped for disciplinary reasons multiple times throughout season
  • campbell brown removed from leadership group after being detained after bar fight in thailand (3 other players involved)
  • reportedly spending $400k less on club staff than league average (reported in 2018 - under-resourced in critical football department)

• harley bennell caught with illicit drugs in tassie
  • joel wilkinson racially vilified by teammates at wacky wednesday
  • campbell brown sacked (punched steven may in USA)

• 7 suns players reportely did cocaine at party in august
  • drug use continued at mad monday lunch on gold coast in september
  • a week later, 12 players went on 4 day golf trip and did cocaine
  • lack of leadership let playing group become divided around 2013 (god squad, crack heads)
  • guy mckenna fired / rodney eade hired

• karmichael hunt arrested for cocaine use
  • harley bennell has drunken altercation and is traded to freo
  • charlie dixon leaves as free agent

• jaeger o'meara leaves as free agent, after missing 2015 & 2016 through injury
  • dion prestia leaves as free agent

• gary ablett jnr leaves as free agent (current club captain)
  • rodney eade fired / stuart dew hired
  • jarrod harbrow loses license after drink driving

• jon haines films stuart dew pissing outside a pub (news released in 2020)
  • tom lynch leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • steven may leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • jarryd lyons delisted (salary cap issues supposedly)

• brayden crossley suspended for 12 months for anti-doping violation (cocaine)
  • jack martin leaves club after failing to come to trade agreement with carlton (no compensation)

• signed rory atkins to massive deal (turned up to preseason out of shape, lack of professionalism, etc.).
  • peter wright traded for future 4th rd pick (former pick 8, failed development)

• hugh greenwood delisted with intention to re-list in rookie draft, signed by north melbourne

can't remember any others at this point, but yeah we've got history of at least one * up per year.

Last edited:
I know the AFL needs a 2nd team in Queensland and Gold Coast should be given a chance to right their wrongs and get back on track, but at this rate, the club needs to be given an ultimatum by the league.

If you can't make finals in the next 2 or 3 years, we're taking your AFL licence and giving it to another city. (Tassie? Canberra?)

I agree that GC have had a fair share of * ups, but we're not yet at the point where we can determine if it's been a failure or a success. To me the benchmark is 25 years. You'd hope to have a premiership in that time, but more importantly, there's an entire generation that's grown up with a local team they otherwise would not have, and that determines how stable a fanbase they can have. Obviously success is a big thing but it's foolish to act like that's the only thing they need.

I agree that GC have had a fair share of fu** ups, but we're not yet at the point where we can determine if it's been a failure or a success. To me the benchmark is 25 years. You'd hope to have a premiership in that time, but more importantly, there's an entire generation that's grown up with a local team they otherwise would not have, and that determines how stable a fanbase they can have. Obviously success is a big thing but it's foolish to act like that's the only thing they need.
As I said, the fact that giants did alright has just left this effect on Gold Coast making people think that'll never recover because they are new, aren't from tassie or canberra, and do silly things like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back