List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

With the power of hindsight I think we should've drafted Allen at 13 and Kelly at 21. I felt we drafted Brander four years too early with the idea of replacing JK when JK came off a really strong 2017 which he would've won the Coleman had he not been injured for those 6 games. Also average three goals a game in an injury affected 2018 season, was pretty good in 2019 when he started to decline, was alright in 2020 in shortened games and is still one of our best forwards this year.

I think JK has one more year left imo so if a Brander type KPP player came along then we should draft a player like him since JK is well and truly almost finished and if JK takes another year then it would be perfect as that player can develop in 2s for a year and get him AFL ready. Drafting him in hindsight was an error that we had to turn him into a winger when there was too many KPFs in the side.

He would've been much better off at Richmond since they were keen on Brander in 2017 since they needed a athletic mobile tall to partner Jack in the forward line while still being able to implement their forward pressure game I think he's even more mobile than T.Lynch (GC/Rich) and he would've played as a KPF there, probably they wouldn't need to get T.Lynch from the Suns via free agency or they might actually. But they took Higgins once we took Brander.

With the power of hindsight I think we should've drafted Allen at 13 and Kelly at 21. I felt we drafted Brander four years too early with the idea of replacing JK when JK came off a really strong 2017 which he would've won the Coleman had he not been injured for those 6 games. Also average three goals a game in an injury affected 2018 season, was pretty good in 2019 when he started to decline, was alright in 2020 in shortened games and is still one of our best forwards this year.

I think JK has one more year left imo so if a Brander type KPP player came along then we should draft a player like him since JK is well and truly almost finished and if JK takes another year then it would be perfect as that player can develop in 2s for a year and get him AFL ready. Drafting him in hindsight was an error that we had to turn him into a winger when there was too many KPFs in the side.

He would've been much better off at Richmond since they were keen on Brander in 2017 since they needed a athletic mobile tall to partner Jack in the forward line while still being able to implement their forward pressure game I think he's even more mobile than T.Lynch (GC/Rich) and he would've played as a KPF there, probably they wouldn't need to get T.Lynch from the Suns via free agency or they might actually. But they took Higgins once we took Brander.
1634398927024.png

Do you mean draft a forward this year?

If so I don't think it's necessary, maybe next year. Darling probably has another 3-4 years in him. Allen should be in his prime by then, so too Waterman. Need to avoid a logjam again.

Back line and forward line are sorted in the nearish term. Need to get some high talent young midfielders in taking less of the cap and being in their 3rd-4th season when Darling, Yeo, Sheed etc are coming towards the end.

With the talent on our list and some handy drafting/acquisitions I don't think things are as dire as some. Next year and 2024-25 being our best chances to strike for the flag. After that we'll need to rebuild for a few years to have another shot towards the end of Allen's career.

I remember those few games he got at the start in his first couple of years. The odd game here and there that was...
Sydney @ SCG
Brisbane @ Gabba
Geelong @ GMBHA

3 games in 2 years and that was the lineup.
mmn and the defensive games in the WAFL where he was soft as butter as he was on the wing. Its still his problem not ours.

In the games i watched of him in the WAFL where he racked up heaps of the ball was not that impressive. He would be down back a bit getting the ball and then instead of taking it on he would look to just handball it off or kick backwards.

Compared to say Waterman who when he plays in the WAFL he plays like he is a step above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clusterF**k

well done west coast
Yeah I've gotta say I'm usually reasonable supportive of the clubs recruiting given the fact we've been in finals contention mostly and when we did bottom out it coincided with the freebies given to GWS and GC so we didn't get good picks. This however, is ridiculous. Brander was recruited with our first pick and we risked losing Oscar and did lose Kelly which cost us dearly within a couple of years. In addition its not all that long ago we recruited Lamb who also left early. It's bad enough we make poor choices but then to drive the value of the players down so we can't even trade them is unforgivable. Compare this to Peter Bell who has traded both picks and players brilliantly over the last few years and it seems we desperately need to review our football department.

Do you mean draft a forward this year?

If so I don't think it's necessary, maybe next year. Darling probably has another 3-4 years in him. Allen should be in his prime by then, so too Waterman. Need to avoid a logjam again.

Back line and forward line are sorted in the nearish term. Need to get some high talent young midfielders in taking less of the cap and being in their 3rd-4th season when Darling, Yeo, Sheed etc are coming towards the end.

With the talent on our list and some handy drafting/acquisitions I don't think things are as dire as some. Next year and 2024-25 being our best chances to strike for the flag. After that we'll need to rebuild for a few years to have another shot towards the end of Allen's career.

Its getting kids through that has been our problem. Of the 8 debutants in 2018, Ryan and Rioli played in the flag & are still around, with Venables simply unfortunate. Allen has established himself with Petrucelle & Waterman yet to nail down a regular spot, Brander with a big question mark & Ainsworth delisted.

Debutants is a clearer way of exposing where we stand.

no biggie. High draft picks dont always work out, and trying to force them to work out for the sake of validating the high draft pick choice does more harm then good. Every club has failed high draft picks.

Unfortunately he goes in the group alongside Notte, Swift, Weedon, Stevens, and Newman. Which is not too bad considering that over a span of about 13 years.

Last edited:
clusterF**k

well done west coast

Poor list management and more pressingly poor player management.

Brander, Cameron in the one season alongside the mistakes made around Rioli.

Throw on top of bad luck with Venables and selling the farm for Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor list management and more pressingly poor player management.

Brander, Cameron in the one season alongside the mistakes made around Rioli.

Throw on top of bad luck with Venables and selling the farm for Kelly.

great list management - make the tough decisions and free up list space.

In the end I gather he was a bit of a Jack Watts where even though very athletic for his size which is seductive from a drafting POV he didn't have the attributes to be a key position player at AFL level.

Better a player who can play a few different roles than persisting with a player who can’t play any.

I said at the beginning of 2021 that we needed to play Brander no matter what and we’d have been no worse off for doing so.

We’re losing an unexamined first round pick for nothing who has substantially more talent than most of our list.

If SPS was good business then this is at best cancelling it out and at worse a massive loss making exercise.

Yeah I've gotta say I'm usually reasonable supportive of the clubs recruiting given the fact we've been in finals contention mostly and when we did bottom out it coincided with the freebies given to GWS and GC so we didn't get good picks. This however, is ridiculous. Brander was recruited with our first pick and we risked losing Oscar and did lose Kelly which cost us dearly within a couple of years. In addition its not all that long ago we recruited Lamb who also left early. It's bad enough we make poor choices but then to drive the value of the players down so we can't even trade them is unforgivable. Compare this to Peter Bell who has traded both picks and players brilliantly over the last few years and it seems we desperately need to review our football department.
On the flip side, Bell's decision to recruit Hogan and then see him out the door after 2 seasons was pretty bad.

It hasn't been all sunshine and Rainbows for Peter, especially with so many players wanting out.

WCE has always been conservative when it comes to trading, sans Kelly, so whilst it's a pretty boring strategy we're at least not continually having a revolving door of players constantly in and out. Especially those players who we'd actively tried to recruit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back