Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton’s tier 1 is better, Carlton’s tier 2 is better, Freo have better youth - although that could also just be a product of having more exposure at AFL level.

Carlton also have a more balanced list with at least 1 elite player in each area of the ground.
Yet we finished with more wins with a worst injury toll and less home games.

So you claim that Freo's youth 'destroys' Carlton's? Let's break this down step by step...

What about players born between 2001 and 2003?

Blues have Kemp, Philp, Honey and Durin who have played a total of 17 vs Fremantle having Serong, Young, Chapman, Treacy, Western and Walker combining for 104 games.

So just because Freo's 1st and 2nd year players have played more games, mean's that Freo's youth destroys Carlton's? Interesting analysis...

This draft Fremantle have 6,8,19 vs the Blues with pick 25.

That's massive and Fremantle has the better potential.

Yes, potential, that's all this is. Instead of speculating on future players, Carlton have picked up one of the best young mids in the comp for very cheap.

We invested very heavily into the draft over 2015-18, so for the last 3 years we've managed to snag Martin, Saad, Williams, Cerra and Hewett. No wonder we haven't used as many draft picks!

Stocker, Dow and Settlefield are inside mids but with Cripps, Cerra and Walsh you have only one spot for another inside midfielder.

Neither Walsh nor Cerra are pure inside mids, both will spend significant time on the wings. Stocker will also start in a back pocket, only to rotate through the middle at this stage.

Fremantle 1-5 year players totally destroys Carlton.

What about 1-6 year players? Or did you want to skip over the fact that McKay, Weitering, Curnow and Silvagni are only 23 years old?

More excuses, or shall we stick with the facts?

Better back line - Carlton
Better midfield - Carlton
Better rucks - Freo
Better forward line - Carlton by the Flemington straight

This thread is to look into the future and speculate on who the better team is going to be.

The Dockers also haven’t been Carlton since 2018 and have just released one of their few high quality players to the Blues.

Kind of depends where you draw the divisions on ‘youth’ for both sides.

Walsh wasn’t included in a previous set of young players, yet he is only 20. Add another year and you’re including Brayshaw and Cerra - they are still young guys.

I think there’s a bit of scrapping but it’s mainly the volume of young players that is impressive for Freo, but they’ve also had to play young guys out of necessity due to injuries. Teague on the other hand was very reluctant to play youth, instead opting to play limited role players or a cooked Marc Murphy.

Reckon Kemp, Honey, Durdin and Carroll will play plenty of footy in 2022.

"For starters Carlton have three genuine AA quality players in Weitering, McKay and Walsh. All young.

Freo have none."

Mate, you aren't even aware Luke Ryan was literally an AA 12 months ago. Just admit you have no idea so we can all move on.
So salty.
So defensive.
I've said five times I like Ur defence.

Simple question

Who is your best fwd? Let's just start there.

Nobody can answer this simple question.

All I get is personal attacks and deflection.

I think the answer is Tabs. And if Tabs is your best fwd you have a serious problem.

Last edited:
Freo have been using injuries an excuse every year for the last five.
It's getting tiring
Fremantle won't getting anywhere if we don't get our injury toll.

You still don't get it, Freo had more wins and the Blues can't use injury as a reason.

In the last 5 years, Dockers had more wins than Carlton each year except 1 year it was equal.

Using injuries as a reason for not playing to your potential is fine, but when you really break it down the guys who are missing in comparison to the kind of players you have available is negligible.

Freo fans will point out missing Hamling and A. Pearce is a sticking point, yet they have guys available to cover and play a regimented game plan that emphasises dropping numbers back to help cover. Not sure missing an A-grade defender matters much when you’ve get a B+ defender available, and the option of adjusting your setup. Luke Ryan can and has readily covered a lot of those gaps.

Yeh it’s not ideal, but losing someone like Darcy would be far, far worse. Same if Carlton lost McKay for an extended period. That being said Curnow coming back in would lessen the impact a little bit, and we’d just have to play with him McGovern and JSOS.

Injuries are only as bad as the depth you’ve got available.

You still don't get it, Freo had more wins and the Blues can't use injury as a reason.

In the last 5 years, Dockers had more wins than Carlton each year except 1 year it was equal.
I get it.
I still think Carlton have a better list.

Freo need to go and nail this draft and get another mid and another young fwd.

Blues had a stinking season and the wheels fell of with the coach.

Using injuries as a reason for not playing to your potential is fine, but when you really break it down the guys who are missing in comparison to the kind of players you have available is negligible.

Freo fans will point out missing Hamling and A. Pearce is a sticking point, yet they have guys available to cover and play a regimented game plan that emphasises dropping numbers back to help cover. Not sure missing an A-grade defender matters much when you’ve get a B+ defender available, and the option of adjusting your setup. Luke Ryan can and has readily covered a lot of those gaps.

Yeh it’s not ideal, but losing someone like Darcy would be far, far worse. Same if Carlton lost McKay for an extended period. That being said Curnow coming back in would lessen the impact a little bit, and we’d just have to play with him McGovern and JSOS.

Injuries are only as bad as the depth you’ve got available.
Cox, and Logue were injured at times as well.

Half of the last year we had only 1 key back.

I get it.
I still think Carlton have a better list.

Freo need to go and nail this draft and get another mid and another young fwd.

Blues had a stinking season and the wheels fell of with the coach.
They still need to prove that they can play solid football and Fremantle need to prove that they can get their best 22 on the park.

Is the coaches that held down the Blues or is it the character of the team?

We will know in 2023, as 2022 will get the new coach lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox, and Logue were injured at times as well.

Half of the last year we had only 1 key back.

But again, that can be covered by dropping numbers back and having players who are used in much looser roles play tighter on an opponent.

It’s really not as big a setback as you’re suggesting.

So salty.
So defensive.
I've said five times I like Ur defence.

Simple question

Who is your best fwd? Let's just start there.

Nobody can answer this simple question.

All I get is personal attacks and deflection.

I think the answer is Tabs. And if Tabs is your best fwd you have a serious problem.
Please, just stop.

You don't know who Luke Ryan is, you don't know Fremantle's players, and you clearly don't watch them.

So you've found Luke Ryan is an AA?
Yes he was in 2020. Won't be in the future. And this is a thread about future prospects.

Who is your best fwd??

I'm asking you because U obviously know freos players better than me .

So it should be an easy question to answer right?

For a self proclaimed expert like yourself?

Who is your best fwd??
This is what your wrote:
"For starters Carlton have three genuine AA quality players in Weitering, McKay and Walsh. All young.

Freo have none."

Now, you say you know who Luke Ryan is, where before you obviously didn't or you would have known he was an AA.

Typing "who is you're best fwd" is irrelevant and quite frankly a little embarrassing.

This is what your wrote:

Freo have none."

Now, you say you know who Luke Ryan is, where before you obviously didn't or you would have known he was an AA.

Typing "who is you're best fwd" is irrelevant and quite frankly a little embarrassing.

How is it irrelevant to ask about freos fwd line in a thread about freos future prospects???

If U can't answer it and refuse to Ur just a total douche bag.

It's a reasonable and relevant question in this thread.

All U want to talk about is Luke Ryan. Who gives a s**t he was AA in 2020. He won't be again. Add to that I've said 100 times I like Ur defence.

I want to to talk about the fwd line and for some childish reason you are sticking your head in the sand and refusing saying "but little Johnny was mean to Luke Ryan. Waaahhh. Waaahhh".

Absolute baby.

I'll give U another chance to be an adult

Who is your best fwd do u think? Or Ur top 3?

This is what your wrote:

Freo have none."

How is asking about ur fwd line in a thread bout Ur future prospects embarrassing or irrelevant? It's extremely relevant.

Just answer the question U little toddler

Back