Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should he be any different.
What would be if he retired because of an injury related issue.
It's a matter of timing.
If he'd retired a few days earlier it would have been before the list lodgement and we'd have an extra list spot to fill at the draft.
So all we're really asking for is concession to backdate his retirement or at least submit an amended list before the draft.

I think part of our argument would be that it would have been unreasonable to have pressured Liam to retire before the list lodgement date given we were attempting to give him every opportunity to explore options, reconsider, etc.

Last edited:

Does it really matter? Jones has made a decision not to get the jab.

Have any of your loved ones, close friends, decided not to get vaccinated?
My sister is not planning on getting vaccinated. And she'll probably be out of a job in the near future.

But then again, my sister is a qanon level conspiracy theory nutter who thinks that UFO's exist and that following the vaccine mandate is akin to the Germans doing nothing while the nazis took over Germany.

My mum, suffering from small cell lung cancer, COPD, and blood clots in her lungs from her chemo treatment and is immunocompromised decided she was going to get the vaxx with me last week. She is going great guns after getting the jab. She had fewer side effects than I did.

I had a friend who got covid. He spent 2 weeks in ICU with organ failure. He managed to recover and got out of hospital. Was home for a week with his wife and suffered a massive heart attack he probably wouldn't have had, if he hadn't gotten covid. He passed about 5 days later.

As for Jones, his reasons for not getting the jab are his own until such times as decides to make his point of view public. The reasons behind his retirement are also his own.

All we can really do is thank Liam for his service to the club and wish him all the best for the future!

Seriously Carlton is cursed. 18 clubs this could happen to but yes it happens to Carlton.

45 players on the list and the player is in the best 22, probably in our best 10 players in a position we have the least depth.

Jones last 100 one on one contest he was only out marked once. Will be harder to replace than most think.
From what I've heard, there are a number of players at the weagles who haven't been vaxxed yet.

It's a matter of timing.
If he'd retired a few days earlier it would have been before the list lodgement and we'd have an extra list spot to fill at the draft.
Apparently he did, and it's the club that was delaying announcements in the hope of turning him around.

From what I've heard, there are a number of players at the weagles who haven't been vaxxed yet.

They have until January 21st to have their first shot, so it's not really a concern for them yet.

My sister is not planning on getting vaccinated. And she'll probably be out of a job in the near future.

But then again, my sister is a qanon level conspiracy theory nutter who thinks that UFO's exist and that following the vaccine mandate is akin to the Germans doing nothing while the nazis took over Germany.

My mum, suffering from small cell lung cancer, COPD, and blood clots in her lungs from her chemo treatment and is immunocompromised decided she was going to get the vaxx with me last week. She is going great guns after getting the jab. She had fewer side effects than I did.

I had a friend who got covid. He spent 2 weeks in ICU with organ failure. He managed to recover and got out of hospital. Was home for a week with his wife and suffered a massive heart attack he probably wouldn't have had, if he hadn't gotten covid. He passed about 5 days later.

As for Jones, his reasons for not getting the jab are his own until such times as decides to make his point of view public. The reasons behind his retirement are also his own.

All we can really do is thank Liam for his service to the club and wish him all the best for the future!
Sorry to hear about your friend amd best wishes to your mum x

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At about 5.75Billion people (I think), herd immunity will start kicking in.
Jeez I hope so I’ve got two kids ineligible for vax
2 weeks ago was freedom day we got the email that night my 4 year old was a close contact 2 teachers 7 kids got covid he had to isolate for 2 weeks
We didn’t have to but kept the 9 year old out of school for a week and had him tested 3 times
We still got judged on what’s app we just get our son to come out to the car at pick up
I went down some rabbit holes and was Vax hesitant 1 year ago but did some deep research to find the benefits out way the risk
When it comes to my kids I’m still vax hesitant till I’ve got more information
The fewer people that are vaccinated affects me directly so I’m disappointed with Liam’s decision
The heat over time he will receive if he doesn’t have a valid statement will be significant
It does feel that Covid has separated people Liam from the club but also parents and family
It’s a massive decision Liam has made beyond his football career
People are looking for scapegoats
You might be able to slide a bit if you aren’t a public figure
Some venues ask for proof of vax some don’t the fines are significant
But if anyone sees Liam any where you not supposed to be unvaccinated it will be news
I hope he can fade away but suspect not

Last edited:
AFL policy has seen a grand finalist recieve consecutive top 3 draft talents at a discount.

It has seen the reigning premiers recieve a second round draft pick for a guy that chose to leave the club after playing 31 games in 6 years.

A team that has lost a meagre 2.5 games more than us over the last 8 years (and 1 less wooden spoon) be given picks 1, 11, 19 and whatever else due to their uncompetitiveness.

Meanwhile a policy that didn't exist 6 months ago has seen us lose a best 22 player in a key position, and you have its own supporter base believing it wouldn't be fair for us to receive any compensation.

The competition has never been based on fairness, and it's this type of bs that will see us roll onto 9 years in the wilderness.

In Covid-19 we’ve had 2 AFL seasons of teams relocating interstate in bubbles, crowd less games, 2 grand finals played outside Victoria.

Like lots of other businesses to get things moving again, AFL introduces mandatory vax.

An individual player decides not to get vaxed and retires. Retires. Players retire for different reasons all the time. Bad luck for us, but not a compensation pick for mine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cas has said that he would be willing to take another vaccine brand if the Novavax vaccine isn't available.

The one that isn’t TGA approved, and struggling to do so.

Could be good night CAS too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In Covid-19 we’ve had 2 AFL seasons of teams relocating interstate in bubbles, crowd less games, 2 grand finals played outside Victoria.

Like lots of other businesses to get things moving again, AFL introduces mandatory vax.

An individual player decides not to get vaxed and retires. Retires. Players retire for different reasons all the time. Bad luck for us, but not a compensation pick for mine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think we deserve a compensation pick but I do think there's a good case for a retrospective list lodgement

AFL policy has seen a grand finalist recieve consecutive top 3 draft talents at a discount.

It has seen the reigning premiers recieve a second round draft pick for a guy that chose to leave the club after playing 31 games in 6 years.

A team that has lost a meagre 2.5 games more than us over the last 8 years (and 1 less wooden spoon) be given picks 1, 11, 19 and whatever else due to their uncompetitiveness.

Meanwhile a policy that didn't exist 6 months ago has seen us lose a best 22 player in a key position, and you have its own supporter base believing it wouldn't be fair for us to receive any compensation.

The competition has never been based on fairness, and it's this type of bs that will see us roll onto 9 years in the wilderness.

Be angry at Jones then, not the AFL. Jones is the one who quit the club. No compensation required.

I think you make good points honestly, probably right up until the last. Jones absolutely kills us in the short term and badly affects our prospects in 2022, but it's not a doomsday scenario that will have long lasting affects like the salary cap punishments, that's a bit over the top.

We are however one injury away to someone else (don't even want to mention his name) from having 100 points kicked on us every week. Most of that blame has to land on the club, although they somewhat mitigated it by picking up Young, I'm just not sure he's ready for the rigorus of 22 AFL games as a key man. We probably should have had someone else developing for the past year or two and many have thought that for some time even before Jones. What's done is done now though.

My view is we probably need to pick up a mature KPD and I don't know if there are many real answers here. Dan Talia seems set on retirement and there are reports he is a bit cooked body wise. Blake Schlensog may not get to us if we are unable to select him as a DFA (not sure what the AFL will let us do). Jack Maibaum (23) and Jack Leslie (26) are both former AFL listed players who filled the KPD spots in the VFL team of the year, but I'm not totally sure they are up to it, others may be able to fill us in on that. I haven't heard of any other 'buzz' matures in the state leagues outside of Sam Skinner, who was duly picked up by Port before Jones retired. I said initially when the Jones news broke I'd like us to chat to Rory Thompson, but we kind of got pipped on the swoop by North (lol) and we'd want to be confident his body is good after such a long time out with injury. He probably remains my biggest hope that we target - don't know whether to laugh or cry about that.

It's a bit of a worry to be honest.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back