AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

Where we at a couple years later?
Feels like the game is declining as a spectacle.

I used to watch every game. I still watch most games. Last weekend I turned off every game before it finished - apart from the Hawthorn game which I didnt get to watch until Sunday evening.

I used to watch every game. I still watch most games. Last weekend I turned off every game before it finished - apart from the Hawthorn game which I didnt get to watch until Sunday evening.

Yeh I do the same.
I still can't get my head around the player on the mark rule. I know it has sped up the game but it does not look right at all. It's almost like watching a soccer player move in to take a penalty. And now we have players being penalized for asking questions about umpiring decisions. They are treading water here at the moment.
I'm thinking they don't care too much though as Amazon will come save them for the next decade.

If Basketball didnt explode here when Jordan was at his prime and LeBron lately then it never will here.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Basketball did explode here when jordan was dominating. Going to nbl games became common. The nbl finals would get massive crowds and live to air tv in prime time.

It’s slightly better than the 2019-20 nadir of rolling mauls, but yeah, the still aren’t many classic games by former standards

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is rubbish. There were plenty of garbage games back in the 80’s and the 90’s. People just don’t bother talking about or remembering them because why would they?

Just like there were classic matches back then as there are today. You were probably just more invested in it back then too, and those old rose coloured come out when you think of it.

On this board 15 years ago soccer was poised to take over and overtake AFL sometime in 2020.

Now some A-league matches take place in front of two men and a dog.

AFl is still the greatest game there is, your interest will pick up when your team is in the finals.

Sometimes nostalgia can play a bit of a role, I think in this discussion.

The game I was watching isn’t the game I fell in love with and became obsessed with as a 6 year old, no longer will I watch 6 games a week because it has lost its magic in my eyes. I still will watch, but as the years roll on my emotional investment is dropping.

Players are supreme athletes now, have exceptional skills and no angle is beyond the average footballer when shooting for goal. Players are drilled to an inch of their life their roles. But in that striving for perfection we took so much of the flair, that natural football instinct. Look at the reaction Ginnivan has had this year. Give me characters like that every day of the week, the game really needs them.

But I am sure that the precious generation said that about footy in the 80’s. We do tend to forget that in every generation there will be very good games and some absolute stinkers. We do put rose coloured glasses on when we think about yesteryear.

I do though, appreciate the AFL have a massive challenge of dealing with the generation of tomorrow, and given the money behind it, do have commercial interests to contend with. But head office feels very much like an ivory tower - unwilling to take on feedback that maybe a generation of 30-40 year olds like my bracket genuinely reconsider spending big dollars on their product because with every tinkering move they feel takes away just a bit of the soul of the game that they fell in love with. And then that becomes a generational decline.

This is rubbish. There were plenty of garbage games back in the 80’s and the 90’s. People just don’t bother talking about or remembering them because why would they?

Just like there were classic matches back then as there are today. You were probably just more invested in it back then too, and those old rose coloured come out when you think of it.
also, you only ever saw 1-2 games a week on tv. now every game is broadcast and analysed to death

Sometimes nostalgia can play a bit of a role, I think in this discussion.

The game I was watching isn’t the game I fell in love with and became obsessed with as a 6 year old, no longer will I watch 6 games a week because it has lost its magic in my eyes. I still will watch, but as the years roll on my emotional investment is dropping.

Players are supreme athletes now, have exceptional skills and no angle is beyond the average footballer when shooting for goal. Players are drilled to an inch of their life their roles. But in that striving for perfection we took so much of the flair, that natural football instinct. Look at the reaction Ginnivan has had this year. Give me characters like that every day of the week, the game really needs them.

But I am sure that the precious generation said that about footy in the 80’s. We do tend to forget that in every generation there will be very good games and some absolute stinkers. We do put rose coloured glasses on when we think about yesteryear.

I do though, appreciate the AFL have a massive challenge of dealing with the generation of tomorrow, and given the money behind it, do have commercial interests to contend with. But head office feels very much like an ivory tower - unwilling to take on feedback that maybe a generation of 30-40 year olds like my bracket genuinely reconsider spending big dollars on their product because with every tinkering move they feel takes away just a bit of the soul of the game that they fell in love with. And then that becomes a generational decline.
2017 was the last great year, before big brother moved in with 666, STAND, dissent, blah blah

every year, the AFL telling you more about what you arent allowed to do on the ground.

bland boring rubbish now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 was the last great year, before big brother moved in with 666, STAND, dissent, blah blah

every year, the AFL telling you more about what you arent allowed to do on the ground.

bland boring rubbish now.
The dissent rule is the final straw, you'd have to pay me to go to a game these days

Memberberries "Oh I member"

Christ there's some utter rubbished posted with nostalgic glasses.

nope...

it´s just the truth

the game has never been so bad.

ticky touch, bullshit 50m

outcomes are decided by umpires more than ever

whistles for any contact

back in the day the game was decided by the players

now the players have to tread on egg shells. god forbid they show any emotion, push someone, bump, show aggression, tackle too hard, put their arms in the air, breathe ... will cost goals.

the product is a s**t as it has ever been. you just know the umpires are gona pull some *ing bullshit free out of their arses at any given moment ...and they just love to do it in front of home crowds....phantom free kicks and 50m penalties every minute....So hard to watch.

I think it’s hard to make an assessment on the game overall because right at the moment and for probably five years, there haven’t been the amount of really good sides at the pointy end that there once was. I think it’s more of a current standard thing than a rules or game style thing.

For as long as I’ve been watching footy it has been a game of rivalries:
  • local derbies
  • teams that hate each other
  • 2/3/4 teams at or near the top at a given time who really turn it on and give even neutrals a point of interest

This ISNT a ‘bash Richmond’ post just to be clear.

I don’t think that the tigers’ style as such was that bad.
I think there can be attractiveness in any kind of football

I liked Ross Lyon’s st Kilda because it was tough, with some icing on top with rolls Royce players like Nick Riewoldt. So I don’t have the view that certain styles - defense first/chaos ball/keepings off etc - are intrinsically ugly. But I think they get boring if there aren’t teams who can test it.

Richmond for the most part didn’t have a rival. There wasn’t this season long collision course - Adelaide absolutely were a very good side for most of 2017 and beating them was a great effort but it wasn’t a climactic coming together of two surging forces.

It wasn’t the Sydney West Coast type of era, or the Cats Saints or Cats Pies or Hawthorn Cats or Brisbane Essendon, Brisbane Port type scenarios where there were these powerhouse sides jostling for a shot at each other. I thought midway through last years grand final that we were watching a dress rehearsal for the next few years but the Dogs haven’t played their part in that.

The Lions have been on the precipice for a while.

Even in 2000 when Essendon were destroying everyone, Carlton went on a ridiculous run of their own where they strung together 13 straight wins or something and that idea of the clash between the two - which the Bombers won by 3 goals or something - had the whole afl world drooling.
In 09 the saints cats and dogs all went 8-0 to start the season and that round 13 game between us and the saints - as amazing as it was - was enhanced by the run that both teams were going on beforehand

AFL stirs the most interest when neutral supporters are engaged by a narrative not related to their team. At the moment and for a little while the league hasn’t quite had that. It’s no one’s fault and I’m sure there have been other times where there aren’t 2-3-4 standout sides and the game has survived.

Regardless of how the game looks, I reckon if there was another side playing somewhere near Melbourne’s level at the moment and had been around that standard for a while, the hype and general feel around the game would be more positive

Crowds are down, TV audiences are down

they must have seen something in the game back in the day that we don't see now.
It's more what you see and hear now that you didn't then, eg constant score reviews, umpire microphones, getting frees for ducking the head, 50m penalties for nothing, very loud music and constant lighting changes, rubbish TV commentary etc, plus throw in patrons being told to barrack more quietly... there's no atmosphere, it's not an enjoyable day out like it used to be

nope...

it´s just the truth

the game has never been so bad.

ticky touch, bullshit 50m

outcomes are decided by umpires more than ever

whistles for any contact

back in the day the game was decided by the players

now the players have to tread on egg shells. god forbid they show any emotion, push someone, bump, show aggression, tackle too hard, put their arms in the air, breathe ... will cost goals.

the product is a s**t as it has ever been. you just know the umpires are gona pull some f*n bullshit free out of their arses at any given moment ...and they just love to do it in front of home crowds....phantom free kicks and 50m penalties every minute....So hard to watch.
games arent often decided by umpiring. and as soft as the neale and mitchell decisions were, if they just played footy instead of hitting/pushing each other off the ball there'd be no free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back