Autopsy Another day of same se

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs taking the piss now leaving Noble as coach . He has to be sacked.

I'd like to hear Noble is sacked and we put in a (temporary) replacement.

Enough of unproven coaches who have no idea.

I've reached my limit with our team as well but which proven coach are we putting in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time we saw a defender take a mark and somebody run past for a quick handball. It seems that we move the ball at glacial speed.

Tired, overworked, and low on confidence. The ball is there most of the game.

Actually felt sorry for our defenders.

Imagine standing there and watching the bounce... sherry tap it to no where... touk wins it... one hand attempted tackle... aaaand in it comes flying into 50... again and again and again

Imagine standing there and watching the bounce... sherry tap it to no where... touk wins it... one hand attempted tackle... aaaand in it comes flying into 50... again and again and again
again, and again
And again and again and again and again
And again

Okay, rather than write what I think I’m going to pose the questions that I’ve thought at varying times throughout this season.

Interested in people’s opinions, or facts if you have any.

1. Did we cut too hard into the list, given the potential for injuries to senior players?
  2. How much better does Cunnington make this team?
  3. Sonja was appointed at a strange time, during pre season. Given the subsequent /resignations etc, was there internal division already? Basically, was Buckley pushed out over something and what we’re seeing now is a back room revolution taking place over a season?
  4. Players don’t play football in a vacuum. Constantly kicking under pressure, no leads, etc make football 40% harder than it already is. Given how much we’re struggling, can we properly evaluate how good individual players are?
  5. We clearly cannot move the ball. I’ve hardly ever seen us leave space on the wings to lead into and give an easy kick out of defence. So we bomb it long again. Why is this? (a) poor fitness? (b) poor gameplan/coaching? (c) poorly executing a decent gameplan?, (d) all the players on the team are useless? (e) something else
  6. We start okay and then just disappear. We have zero resilience and a complete glass jaw. Why is this?
  7. I thought I saw Ziebell giving it to JHF last week at the ground in the last quarter behind play. Is there a generational struggle going on somehow? Did we trade the players with currency and only leave blokes who no longer have the respect and authority to lead? Goldy, Hall, Cunnington yes (but two injured), Ziebell no.
I have opinions on these, but before I share them I’m curious what other people think.

I also have more questions, but I think that will do for now.

Last edited:
I've reached my limit with our team as well but which proven coach are we putting in?
This.

Robert Harvey or Daniel Giansiracusa aren't changing our fortunes.

Unless we've got an iron clad commitment from Clarko; I'm not sure there's a more suitable coach that the pool of coaches that interviewed 18months ago. If the players didn't like Noble's sledgehammer after getting beaten by 120, I'm not sure a Mark Williams is an option either (which is probably an indictment on the playing list)

Think the key here in the interim is to get some proven assistant coaches in at a minimum. I think it's telling that we haven't had an assistance coach get poached to be a head coach in ages. Noble needs help - but a Leppa esque assistant to guide the ship would be handy.

It's not like there weren't positives today - a really solid first quarter to set us up, and some pretty good efforts put in by guys like Young and Walker in the backline to try and stem the tide once things rapidly went south. Conditions weren't a non-factor either, it was clear that one of the issues from the start of the second quarter on was that we didn't have the energy to keep up.

But none of that excuses the sheer consistent non-competitiveness of it all. Yet again, opposition players spread with ease, and move the ball around at will - from stoppages, turnovers, whatever - whilst we prove incapable of shutting that down or doing the same when in possession, which means we end up working twice as hard to put scores on the board (on the increasingly rare occasion we're playing well enough to actually contemplate scoring...). Whatever semblance of a system we have still seems to be some deranged blend of slowly chipping the ball around, madly ambitious corridor plays just ripe for being carved up on the turnover, and highly-predictable down-the-line aimlessness. Once more, it's a performance far too flat and lifeless to provide any confidence that our long-term development is on track - quite simply, if this is part of the plan then the plan is wrong.

I don't think Noble is the core cause of our current problems; I'm more worried by whatever our list management strategy is supposed to be, and by the administrative complacency that sees us apparently happy with where we're at because, uh, other clubs who are now okay were once in a similarly terrible spot, and the coach is one of the few who at least comes across as a little bothered by our current continued failings. But breaking out of this rut is going to require far more than the subtle tweak of going man-on-man occasionally, and an intransigent insistence that we just need to get better at a system that's got us nowhere at all to date; we look so bereft of basic football capabilities at the moment that major change of some kind is rapidly required.

You need a catchier user name. Because everything you write is excellent but doesn't get enough kudos.

On a positive note. These guys are going to be in ripping nick next year. All this two way running and chasing is going to make them cardio beasts.

Okay, rather than write what I think I’m going to pose the questions that I’ve thought at varying times throughout this season.

Interested in people’s opinions, or facts if you have any.

1. Did we cut too hard into the list, given the potential for injuries to senior players?
  2. How much better does Cunnington make this team?
  3. Sonja was appointed at a strange time, during pre season. Given the subsequent /resignations etc, was there internal division already? Basically, was Buckley pushed out over something and what we’re seeing now is a back room revolution taking place over a season?
  4. Players don’t play football in a vacuum. Constantly kicking under pressure, no leads, etc make football 40% harder than it already is. Given how much we’re struggling, can we properly evaluate how good individual players are?
  5. We clearly cannot move the ball. I’ve hardly ever seen us leave space on the wings to lead into and give an easy kick out of defence. So we bomb it long again. Why is this? (a) poor fitness? (b) poor gameplan/coaching? (c) poorly executing a decent gameplan?, (d) all the players on the team are useless? (e) something else
  6. We start okay and then just disappear. We have zero resilience and a complete glass jaw. Why is this?
  7. I thought I saw Ziebell giving it to JHF last week at the ground in the last quarter behind play. Is there a generational struggle going on somehow? Did we trade the players with currency and only leave blokes who no longer have the respect and authority to lead?
I have opinions on these, but before I share them I’m curious what other people think.

I also have more questions, but I think that will do for now.

See below …
  1. Did we cut too hard into the list, given the potential for injuries to senior players? A:They were deep cuts but I’m ok with what was done at the time. Problem is more lack of develop from those left.
  2. How much better does Cunnington make this team? A:500%
  3. Sonja was appointed at a strange time, during pre season. Given the subsequent /resignations etc, was there internal division already? Basically, was Buckley pushed out over something and what we’re seeing now is a back room revolution taking place over a season? A: Who knows, but in hindsight was maybe a poor time in the re-built for Buckley to leave.
  4. Players don’t play football in a vacuum. Constantly kicking under pressure, no leads, etc make football 40% harder than it already is. Given how much we’re struggling, can we properly evaluate how good individual players are? A: NM current skill execution os well below AFL Standard
  5. We clearly cannot move the ball. I’ve hardly ever seen us leave space on the wings to lead into and give an easy kick out of defence. So we bomb it long again. Why is this? (a) poor fitness? (b) poor gameplan/coaching? (c) poorly executing a decent gameplan?, (d) all the players on the team are useless? (e) something else A: Arron Hall is a massive out from defensive run, but I think there still seems coaching instruction problems at play.
  6. We start okay and then just disappear. We have zero resilience and a complete glass jaw. Why is this? A: Confidence is shot unfortunately
  7. I thought I saw Ziebell giving it to JHF last week at the ground in the last quarter behind play. Is there a generational struggle going on somehow? Did we trade the players with currency and only leave blokes who no longer have the respect and authority to lead A: If the culture is strong then this will be an “ok moment” between both Old bull and Young bull. But if culture is shot … will be a bad sign. “

Remove this Banner Ad

Back