Analysis What is it with Eddie and plans?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, Ed's just rehashing Carlton's 1992 plan to play all their away games in Sydney when it looked like the Swans were going to go under. What a visionary.

Few will remember but when Gold Coast was being discussed, Eddie "offered" Collingwood as the sacrificial lamb to play five games per year at Carrara until GC could get its own team off the ground.

The kicker was they were to be the away team for all of them... yes, all five games would be a home game for the other team.

Oh and the Pies' other 17 games would be at the G. 11 home games at the G, 6 away games at the G, 5 away games at Carrara.

Eddie taking one for the competition.

Even with my Collingwood beanie on, I am happy he left Collingwood and feel he probably should have left around 6 to 8 years earlier …

… however, we do need people in our society who come up with ideas and a vision.

They get totally smashed down by those of us who think things were better in 1986 and please stop wanting to change things Grrrrr.

And IMO, many of the ideas that such people come up with are daft. Or maybe even an idea gets implemented and is proven with the benefit of hindsight to be a daft one …

… but not every idea needs to be a winner. Without these people we’d still be living in 1986. Without these people we wouldn’t be discussing or considering the possibilities.

Plus not everything Ed suggests he is seriously advocating for. Sometimes he is starting a conversation or pulling strings.

For example, it’s no coincidence that shortly after Ed floated his “$1 Billion stadium next to the MCG” idea, that the AFL acquired what was then Etihad stadium for a good price.

I remember that new stadium plan, for me it was the first time that he kinda publicly lost the plot.

I mean everybody knew he was always trying to get everything for Collingwood - that's ok - but his "plan" was just so nakedly stupid and self-serving that he really had to take everybody for idiots to suggest it publicly. He'd lost touch.

I mean let's not bullshit, the placement of a stadium right there - where the train lines and the basketball stadium already are - was the most stupid, expensive and crazy plan possible. There's other, far less developed land in the precinct. And even putting that aside, looking at the precinct, it's just about the worst spot for a new stadium - it's as far as you can get from existing transport infrastructure at Richmond and Jolimont stations.

Of course, what he wouldn't admit is that it was purely an idea to build Collingwood their ultimate home for the next hundred years. The single reason he placed it there was to create a perfect Collingwood precinct with the training centre, new stadium (60k for games against interstate opposition) and the G (for games against Melbourne clubs) all in a perfect row.

And he tried to sell it as his kinda "gift" to Melbourne. FFS Eddie, pull the other one. How stupid do you think people are?

11 home games in melb - fair enough, yeah whatever... gotta keep the perception to the vics that nothing has actually changed.
then 11 home games in tas - wtf? get stuffed. so if you are an non vic team and play norf twice in the one year, you have to play 2 away games. yeah, i can see that being unanimously embraced by all the non vic clubs (vic clubs shouldnt give a crap as lets be honest, most of their 'away' games are in melb anyway and tas is barely a quick swim across bass strait).

I remember that new stadium plan, for me it was the first time that he kinda publicly lost the plot.
I think he lost the plot when he became president of Collingwood way back when. God complex activated. All of a sudden The Footy Show became unwatchable and we had to endure 20+ years of terrible ideas beginning with the Millenium Game and peaking with the crippling Malthouse/Buckley succession. I wish he would just disappear.

A better plan is:

1. Add Tasmania as team 19.
  2. 3-5 years later, add Canberra as team 20.
  3. Add the Northern Territory as team 21 if it becomes viable.
* the talent pool argument. It's bullshit. There's plenty of talent at the state level. The real problem is the lack of professional standards and development.

I strongly believe that it'd be a wonderful thing for every state and territory in the country to have a team. Beyond that, I don't care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'This is the ONLY way to make a Tasmanian team work that satisfies all stakeholders'

'Woah, woah, woah, I was only putting it out there as a discussion point'

Yes why not suggest they play every game in Tassie for their first decade and first 20 picks in the draft for each of those years as well.

Then when called out “I was just trying to start a discussion”

So, Ed's just rehashing Carlton's 1992 plan to play all their away games in Sydney when it looked like the Swans were going to go under. What a visionary.

He rehashed that plan already with the pies in 2007.

No one should have a set ground for away matches, it’s a terrible idea that’s unworkable.

Would you swap Cartons fixture for Norths over the past 20 years?

There is a reason the rich clubs stay rich and agree to the AFL throwing a few crumbs to the poorer club.

Absurd idea to suggest if clubs swapped fixtures that North would get Carlton numbers.

Btw I’m not for North being wound up or sent to Tassie/NT/Bendigo/North Korea. It’s just the usual pick on a smaller melb club when they aren’t winning and talk about relocating them.

Even heard one nuffy on the radio suggest North need draft concessions like start up GWS and GC right now. People have very short memories, things do turn around.

Absurd idea to suggest if clubs swapped fixtures that North would get Carlton numbers.

Btw I’m not for North being wound up or sent to Tassie/NT/Bendigo/North Korea. It’s just the usual pick on a smaller melb club when they aren’t winning and talk about relocating them.

Even heard one nuffy on the radio suggest North need draft concessions like start up GWS and GC right now. People have very short memories, things do turn around.
If North had an equitable fixture over the last 20 years their sponsorship and corporate revenue would be much higher and they would not need assistance from the AFL. The ratings drive sponsorship money - nobody wants to pay for jumper space on a Sunday Foxtel-only game. People want to go to corporate boxes on a Friday night, not at midday on Sunday when their kids are playing sports.

It's why when Carlton and Essendon were s**t the corrupt pricks running the AFL gave them commercially the best fixtures, to ensure they made enough money to help them get back to winning.

Rember when Eddie Mcguire cried wanting compensation for Collingwood having to play one Sunday Twilight game, I think he said it cost them about $500,000 in lost revenue.

Now times that by about 12 games per year over 20 years. Are you getting it yet champ?

Few will remember but when Gold Coast was being discussed, Eddie "offered" Collingwood as the sacrificial lamb to play five games per year at Carrara until GC could get its own team off the ground.

The kicker was they were to be the away team for all of them... yes, all five games would be a home game for the other team.

Oh and the Pies' other 17 games would be at the G. 11 home games at the G, 6 away games at the G, 5 away games at Carrara.

Elliot suggested the same with Carlton to Sydney from memory. Commercially, great opportunities for both clubs and probably would have made them even bigger clubs.

Fact is why the issue with visionaries? Harmless, but at least arouses discussion.

Without it, we would still be the VFL with 12 clubs and unlikely to have full-time professional players.

If North had an equitable fixture over the last 20 years their sponsorship and corporate revenue would be much higher and they would not need assistance from the AFL. The ratings drive sponsorship money - nobody wants to pay for jumper space on a Sunday Foxtel-only game. People want to go to corporate boxes on a Friday night, not at midday on Sunday when their kids are playing sports.

It's why when Carlton and Essendon were s**t the corrupt pricks running the AFL gave them commercially the best fixtures, to ensure they made enough money to help them get back to winning.

Rember when Eddie Mcguire cried wanting compensation for Collingwood having to play one Sunday Twilight game, I think he said it cost them about $500,000 in lost revenue.

Now times that by about 12 games per year over 20 years. Are you getting it yet champ?
You’re either very simple or you are a comedian. Given those on Bigfooty are geniuses, you must be a comedian.

Plus not everything Ed suggests he is seriously advocating for. Sometimes he is starting a conversation or pulling strings.

For example, it’s no coincidence that shortly after Ed floated his “$1 Billion stadium next to the MCG” idea, that the AFL acquired what was then Etihad stadium for a good price.

It's no coincidence at all because the AFL had already committed to buying the Docklands stadium in 1998, it was meant to change hands in 2025 for $200m but the AFL brought that forward 10 years.

I guess they could have taken Eddie's advice and built a $1B stadium and then knocked Docklands down after the $200m purchase.

Funnily enough he's now dead against the AFL committing $20m x 10 years to the Tasmanian side but he was happy for them to buy out a stadium for $200m and knock the joint over to fund one of his pipe dreams.

Kudos to him for at least asking - you get 100% of what you don't ask for no matter how it is framed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back