Preview Geelong V North, Sat 2 July 2022 @ KP 7:25 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been saying this for years but it just won't happen. Henry and Guthrie are our best options come finals. Kolo and MOC are not as they crumble under pressure.
How does MOC crumble under pressure? He got beaten by Bolton but it was just getting beaten in genuine one on ones. Defensively he's normally elite. He's probably our cleanest defender under pressure with his hands and has very solid disposal by foot. He's been solid in finals as a defender too.

Kolo, Blicavs and Bews can be suspect especially with disposal under pressure but even then I think crumble is a bit strong.

How does MOC crumble under pressure? He got beaten by Bolton but it was just getting beaten in genuine one on ones. Defensively he's normally elite. He's probably our cleanest defender under pressure with his hands and has very solid disposal by foot. He's been solid in finals as a defender too.

Kolo, Blicavs and Bews can be suspect especially with disposal under pressure but even then I think crumble is a bit strong.
I've been a fan of MOC in the past and have given him a lot of leeway recently but he was putrid last weekend.

He'll get more shots at it given we have zero options but he's going to want to find form quick

I've been a fan of MOC in the past and have given him a lot of leeway recently but he was putrid last weekend.

He'll get more shots at it given we have zero options but he's going to want to find form quick
He was soundly beaten but every defender gets beaten at times. But that's not crumbling under pressure. Even last week he did a couple of really clean important things especially in the 3rd quarter when we were under the pump massively. Like a beautiful kick under pressure to hit Menegola (who gave up a terrible turnover to leave MOC with no chance against Bolton on the rebound). And then he set up Close's goal with a clean pickup and handball.

He was having a dirty night but found a way to impact the game when it mattered which isn't normally the sign of a guy that crumbles.

He was soundly beaten but every defender gets beaten at times. But that's not crumbling under pressure. Even last week he did a couple of really clean important things especially in the 3rd quarter when we were under the pump massively. Like a beautiful kick under pressure to hit Menegola (who gave up a terrible turnover to leave MOC with no chance against Bolton on the rebound). And then he set up Close's goal with a clean pickup and handball.

He was having a dirty night but found a way to impact the game when it mattered which isn't normally the sign of a guy that crumbles.
Yeah crumbling under pressure probably not the word. Well out of form though and has been given a few to get back now

It pains me to say it because I had big markers on MOC to break out and be a special player a few years ago. Was one of our better players (relative to expectation) in the terrible 2018 EF against Dee's and was showing great signs as a defender the next year.

I think moving him to midfield was probably a mistake and when he's been back he hasn't quite found that groove again. There's a long list of these players but he's been very deer in the headlights in finals the last few years. He and Kolo in the same backline under immense pressure is not a winning formula.

Sheesh.

You seem to be someone's trigger......

Its funny because I was only posting something that was commented on in the news

Though I am glad that some seem to have understood the sarcasm in my second post

I'm not convinces Zach is any better than either O'Connor or Kolo the last couple of week he's struggled to win a contested possession and Zachs Turnover and Clangers are higher than both for the season to date.No doubting there has been improvement in him this year but he is still clinging by his fingernails to a spot in the best 22.
From what I have seen this year he is best 24 easily which puts him in the starting 22 more often than not. He now has bulk, confidence and a bit of grunt.

Is this the Melbourne preview thread?

Scooby Doo Reaction GIF by Boomerang Official

Looking at our fixture how has our draw been dubbed easy??

I see every single game As tough except north and west coast..

Melbourne, Carlton, and then port Adelaide away are easily 3 potential losses.. WB and st kilda no easy beats at home. Gold Coast at metricon is no walk in the park either.

Not so sure why that is being called easy, that is actually quite an awkward draw of sides at the top of the ladder and a few strong mid tier teams who will are all fighting for the top 8.

We need to be sharp and playing well to keep taking home the points on the run home.

Looking at our fixture how has our draw been dubbed easy??

I see every single game As tough except north and west coast..

Melbourne, Carlton, and then port Adelaide away are easily 3 potential losses.. WB no easy beats at home. Gold Coast at metricon is no walk in the park either.

Not so sure why that is being called easy, that is actually quite an awkward draw of sides at the top of the ladder and a few strong mid tier teams who will are all fighting for the top 8.

We need to be sharp and playing well to keep taking home the points on the run home.

Don’t forget we play St Kilda as well. Got us earlier in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t forget we play St Kilda as well. Got us earlier in the year.
Edited as I just recalled this.

Actually quite an awkward uncomfortable draw with a lot of mid tier strength teams to play and a couple top tier. Only 2 guaranteed wins ( if we show up) out of the 7. 5 of the 7 are all reasonably losable

Yep- Lyon was ordinary wasn’t he? Weird.
Hawkins didn’t have a great game but the upside is that he will next time.

Did he take a decent defender though to mind him? If so then that would probably make it easier for the Henry goal etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. And they're coming back from interstate. I think this game could be more important than what people think. Percentage is vital for us, I don't want us resting half our side and limping to a 4 goal, ugly win when we could go hard and put them to the sword with a 12 goal percentage boosting win. Percentage might be the difference between us finishing 2nd instead of 4th or 5th. It's really tight at the top

Yes but also taking points off other teams who are competing for top 4 with us (as a pose to bottom 8 sides who arent near us on points) also matters so its a balancing act.

I'm sure we would've seen it from one of the Irish players by now.
It's a key part of their game as I think it's against the rules to pick the ball up off the ground.
Yep I saw a similar ball pick up trick done during a Swans v Lions game.
About 3 years ago, they replayed it a few time during the 3Q break.
He took a little stab kick between ball and ground. and the ball popped up
I recall he was Irish recruit ... can't recall if Swan or Lion.
Commentators said, other players would work on that skill.
Haven't seen it since... perhaps a low percentage and difficult to get the opportunity
Unlike a round ball... need to get the ball resting still and at the right angle.

Who knows. The bigger they are the harder they fall.
We'll have to counter him in a final anyway.
Might as well get a psychological win in early.
Yep maybe Geelong can test his ankle out for him. That's why I think Ratugolea might be brought in to double-team with Stanley.

Agree MOC is a solid defender, rarely gives away a dumb free kick.
However he is suspect in marking contests.... needs to work on making strong body contact
His kicking accuracy is decent... needs to better understand placement to advantage...
Kicks can be overt the back and goal side to a smaller faster player.
Tendency to choose the slow safe kick than fast attacking option....especially under pressure.

True, he had that goal assist in the last quarter. Don't forget he's still learning. Bolton was on fire, hard to stop. He was given the job on Bolton because he is mobile enough to do it. Bolton would have run rings around Kolo.

Well it's game day and North still paying $15 for the win

What's the game within a game you'll have your eye on? For me it's Dangerfield % time forward and Zuthrie rebound 50 watch

Hoping to see Danger's TOG being quite limited so his calf doesn't get over exerted and he can recover in 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back