Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Here here. We were exactly this dysfunctional last year but we won a few games so it papered over the crap as you mentioned.

I’m personally glad this is all coming to a head in a major public way because this had the potential to essentially fester indefinitely with no real progress being made.

Agree with Lyon’s sentiment that Madden, Wellman and Allen need to go and obviously I think Brasher should go as well. Madden and Brasher have never impressed me when hearing them speak and I guess I thought Wellman to be at least a safe set of hands but perhaps that was coloured by him being ‘Mr. Reliable’ on the field.

The quicker we completely excise the cancer the better, we’ve seen how quickly Collingwood rejuvenated themselves after cutting out that big, pus filled goitre Eddie McGuire.
Wellman looks like the classic yes man who does the bidding for campbell/brasher on the board, a terrible person to be in the role of footy director.

Surely there's nothing in this Hird talk. Please tell me there's nothing.
Surely not. The bloke tried to kill himself from all the s**t last time, if I’m anyone around him I’m telling him to stay the * away, irrespective of the fact I think he has some potential as a coach, or at least once had.

Surely there's nothing in this Hird talk. Please tell me there's nothing.

There's nothing

dumb and dumber laughing GIF

seems a great time to rewatch the 01' comeback game.

As soon as I heard Essendon entered the race for Clarko I went straight onto Youtube for 2014 EF highlights to make myself feel better lol

For all the talk of external reviews, let me just point to this:

There are several areas that don’t seem to have improved at all. Can’t speak to hierarchy, lines of reporting and the medical department as that’s all behind closed doors for the most part, but the role and function of a CEO, the structure of the football department, and the critique of recruitment processes, are not areas that have necessarily improved.

Point being that external reviews are useful in uncovering problems, and “sunlight is the best disinfectant”. But they cannot enforce the recommendations they make, it takes a strongly principled board of directors to actually do that.

On the plus side, the people brasher brought onto the board in Sheedy, Green and Hisgrove have all immediately sided against him, which indicates that loyalty isn’t a defining feature of their directorships. Let’s hope that means they’re acting on good principles instead…

Both Green and Hisgrove are big supporters of the women's program and that's why any issues in that area might have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Surely not. The bloke tried to kill himself from all the s**t last time, if I’m anyone around him I’m telling him to stay the * away, irrespective of the fact I think he has some potential as a coach, or at least once had.

Gut feel regarding Hird is that he’s got idiots like Sheedy and Robbo advocating for him but they’re not his mouthpieces, he’s not coveting a senior role, the only reason he stepped in as a genuine assistant was to help Spike out.

Having said that it’s just a gut feel, I never thought we’d see him back in footy at all so what the hell do I know.

I’d love to know what the difference in opinions are, considering AD doesn’t have much to do with the day to day stuff/performance of the team.

It’s all under Mahoney’s remit. Mahoney is GM of Footy. Dodoro reports to Mahoney. At least he reported to Richardson, so I assume he now reports to Mahoney.

So the head of footy Mahoney conducted the review?

That's not a review in any way, shape or form. That's just called doing your normal job...in that position you should always be looking at your team under you and looking at areas for improvement.

If he's the issue obviously it's pointless...Brasher is a fool. Reeks of just trying to appease the members and everyone backing each other to keep their jobs.
Isn’t it it the reason Barham cracked the sh!ts 2 weeks ago and called for the spill? And hence the subsequent board meeting on Sunday morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all under Mahoney’s remit. Mahoney is GM of Footy. Dodoro reports to Mahoney. At least he reported to Richardson, so I assume he now reports to Mahoney.
Yeah I know that, I’m saying I wonder what the falling out is over or what has created the animosity. All the recruiting has been very good since Mahoney has been at essendon. So what had either AD or Mahoney not been happy about.

So who's our next coach? Choco Williams? Blake Caracella? Don Pyke?

Yeah I know that, I’m saying I wonder what the falling out is over or what has created the animosity. All the recruiting has been very good since Mahoney has been at essendon. So what had either AD or Mahoney not been happy about.
Reckon Dodoro has his nose out of joint with Mahoney largely becoming the focal point of media for our off-season activity.

Back in June there was something about our looking at FA's & not trading high picks.
My gut feel is Dodoro and Rutten probably clashing on the depth and lack of options to date. If i was Rutten i'd be ****ed off my spine was basically drafted just as the incumbents were cooked and should have been retiring.

You are right on recent recruiting.
I think the combo of Mahoney, Rutten and RFK would have done a disciplined turnover of the list.
A feint hope lingers that they may continue, but it's not looking likely.

i'd be staggered if it's not Clarkson.

Genuinely curious, based on what? Everything we’ve done this week screams an unstable club, plus he’s had a month of due diligence on north compared to a few days on us, not to mention Hoods interview tonight where she seems very confident

I still reckon Clarkson is fave to sign with us. Already been said that he and Barham are known to each other. Barham had to have reached out to him beforehand before the coup. That was the whole point of the coup.

I still reckon Clarkson is fave to sign with us. Already been said that he and Barham are known to each other. Barham had to have reached out to him beforehand before the coup. That was the whole point of the coup.
I agree with this. Our list is better (there is a real possibility that JHF wants to leave Norf next week which will have broader implications) and there is that big club thing, Anzac Day, Dreamtime etc. But, maybe the Board stuff puts him off. But, then he had to deal with Kennett so he might think our board will be kids play by comparison. Plus he will be aware the media have overblown everything. There hasnt been a board coup. They made a decision. It may not have been unanimous, and that's fine, but it sure ain't a coup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back