Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and he obviously has every idea.

He wrote!

"Right lumber spine pain, High level cricketer (hehe), fast bowler, stress fracture?"

Been a good while since I've posted on here, hope all are smashing their goals and want for personal improvement.
Kudos to you all!

I am hitting the gym 4-5 times a week now and it is rather addictive of course it does have huge health benefits.
Back in mid 20 I weighed myself 3 months after having a decent stroke and came in at 72kg's.
Jumped on the scales yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see it hit 83.4kg's.

Also they have finally worked out my problem and why I have HAD these strokes, my heart upper right chamber beats off its head, not sure if that's the correct terminology.
So they're going to zap me apparently.

Spoke to my Doc and asked if that means I could try cocaine as I've never done it, well FFS talk about carrying on.

Oh well.

Heading off to Berlin on Sunday to run the marathon on the 25th Sep, bloody excited!
Awesome man! Good luck! Got a time target?

In much less exciting news, I was training for the Jervis Bay marathon, until they cancelled it.
Might do something similarly low key like the Port Stephens marathon in December as my first entrée into the world of marathon running.

Awesome man! Good luck! Got a time target?

In much less exciting news, I was training for the Jervis Bay marathon, until they cancelled it.
Might do something similarly low key like the Port Stephens marathon in December as my first entrée into the world of marathon running.
Always worry making a target! But hopefully sub 3. Training hasn’t been great but possibly enough! PB is 2:51 but will be no where near that. Good luck at Port Stephens, would be an awesome place for your first.

Always worry making a target! But hopefully sub 3. Training hasn’t been great but possibly enough! PB is 2:51 but will be no where near that. Good luck at Port Stephens, would be an awesome place for your first.
Cheers. So you're doing the Berlin marathon, the one on 25 September?

Ha yes The Berlin mara! 25 Sep…. Flat and fast apparently, and the big dog Kipchoge is running, not that I’ll see him.
Good luck!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys I need suggestions what is a good road running shoe for long distances? I want something stable as well.

I was looking at the hokas but not sure

Guys I need suggestions what is a good road running shoe for long distances? I want something stable as well.

My wife's podiatrist is big on the Hokas but they are expensive. He also recommended the two top models in New Balance. You can usually get a good deal on NB at their direct shop at Uni Hill.

Ligma, I used the Hoka brand recently. I did not get another pair because I felt that while very comfortable I no longer had a 'feel' for the ground I was running on and also I felt that they wore out more than others. My podiatrist and physio were bemused that I was wearing them given my propensity in senior running years to develop calf and achilles issues. Can I suggest a place like the Running Company where they employ trainee podiatrists, physios and elite athletes? They check you out on the treadmill to determine your needs then get you three different brands to try for feel and comfort. You can even take a run outside. You can be confident of walking out (running out?) of the shop with the right shoe. I usually use Mizuno, Asics and Brooks but my needs are probably different from yours. Hope this helps.

Hokas are weird shoes that some people love and some don't. Highly cushioned with a massive rocker. Don't like them. (I do actually have a pair of their trail shoes but they are different from the rest of their range.) Don't just hit and hope. As Bertie22 said, go to a good running shop. I've been to a couple of the Running Company stores and have been very happy with their advice. I don't recommend Athlete's Foot or Active Feet. It's probably tempting to shop around online for a bargain pair of whatever people on here recommend but injuries suck and one trip to the physio will cancel out any savings you made.

Honestly mate it’s hard to recommend running shoes generally when everyone has different sizes, speeds and gaits.

Having said that, I like the Saucony Endorphin speed for training sessions of half marathon distances. Not sure whether you could describe it as particularly stable. It has a nylon plate that keeps your legs turning over when you’re pushing through fatigue. But because it’s nylon, it’s not as unforgiving as carbon.

If stability is a priority, but you don’t need a full on stability shoe, I’d give asic kayanos a try. Super durable and well structured, runs well on a variety of surfaces. I don’t use them anymore because that’s just a reflection of my own personal ride preferences.

My all time favourite shoe is the Nike alphafly for any distance so long as I’m running flat out.

But yeah, go to a good running shop if you can.

Running shoes are so individual. I’ve worn so many different ones over the years. My trusted now are New Balance 1080s, for avoiding injuries and just feeling comfortable during training. I use different shoes for racing, trail running etc also.

Incidentally, I ran my first sub 20 in park run today. Yay!
Might try carb loading with something other than a six pack of pale ales next time.
(I’m blaming the boring game last night)
Brilliant, big congrats, that is a great achievement! Was it a hilly or flat PR?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back