Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Hickey was awful and Hawkins overpowering him twice in the first quarter for goals set up the whole day for the Swans.

Fox was absolutely superb as was Warner. I was really impressed by both.
Absolute gem of a 2nd round find.
I'm really keen to take two first rounders (Brisbane's as part of Dunkley deal) and a 2nd round to draft.

Realistically, we're a draft & develop club so getting players who can help is great, but we should be looking to keep our picks at the pointy end of the draft.

Hickey was pushed aside by Hawkins and blown away in the middle.

Chad Warner was easily the best Swans player. Gun player, great season.

Don’t recall Fox’s game, so not denying he played well. I was just making the point that Cameron wasn’t beaten, which a couple of posters mentioned.

His season average is 2.7, which no doubt a few would’ve been late in games when they were already over. He kicked 2.1 yesterday, had 18, 8 marks and 8 score involvements. For someone I can’t stand and was hoping would do * all during the game, conceding he played pretty well is fair I reckon.
As a direct matchup (which they were most of the game) I think Fox had his measure particularly given he wasn’t getting any help from any of his mates.

Cameron wasn’t Rohan level bad by any means, I just think he was below the level I’d expect in an 81 point win.

As a direct matchup (which they were most of the game) I think Fox had his measure particularly given he wasn’t getting any help from any of his mates.

Cameron wasn’t Rohan level bad by any means, I just think he was below the level I’d expect in an 81 point win.

Cameron was thrown around as either the best or second best tall forward in the league this season. Only managing two goals in junk time in a rout and one of them being a pity handball receive isn't really a great game for someone that is supposed to be elite.

That is funny and staggering. But because it comes from a Geelong fanboy flog it's just sickening.

You just know that if any other club was doing what Geelong has been doing topping up, raiding other clubs, miraculously attracting AA players year after year and somehow squeezing them all into the cap, you know he would get on his high horse and demand an inquiry and the AFL act, but given he's a scarf waving Geelong fanboy....crickets.

Last edited:
Really? Hickey was awful and Hawkins overpowering him twice in the first quarter for goals set up the whole day for the Swans.

Fox was absolutely superb as was Warner. I was really impressed by both.
Yeah Hawkins did push him out of the contest. he's not the first ruckman that has copped that though.
I agree with your analysis of Fox, I just thought Hickey toiled very well all game. Either way it was a very disappointing performance by the Swans.

Importance of quality small forwards who can bring pressure but hit the scoreboard. Stengle and Close are weapons and the fact they are on peanuts makes them so much more valuable.

Weightman is getting there but he needs a friend. McNeil was good early but has not yet stepped up.

One of the things I took from the Cats flag is we need a couple of hard nuts in the backline to hurt people and cause chaos. I always hoped Cordy could do this but not quite. The ability to defend well and win the ball is essential too.
In the qtr of the game that I bothered to watch.

I took that we desperately need to settle on a pair of attacking wingman.

That and Geelong are an incredibly well run and professional club, one that isn't obsessed with the shiny promise of youth. Like most clubs and their supporters are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weightman is getting there but he needs a friend. McNeil was good early but has not yet stepped up.
Weightman needs to stop trying for pack marks, he needs to start crumbing and apply better pressure (he hardly ever lays tackles).

It killed us this year when we had Naughton, Juh and weightman flying for pack marks and no one was on the deck.

No reason McNeil can’t be our version of Close. All starts with sticking tackles, nobody breaks out of a Close tackle. Flea can be anything and like many have already mentioned it all starts with crumbing off our tall timber. Fly for your marks when you are one on one or trying to sit on Gawn’s head on the wing.

Look at the first quarter v. Eagles last year in Perth (game where crowd was banned few hours before). Flea is everywhere with his pressure. Needs to do that as his base.

That and Geelong are an incredibly well run and professional club, one that isn't obsessed with the shiny promise of youth. Like most clubs and their supporters are.
I think Bendendo can be a really good winger. I’d love him to get a decent run of games early next year.

T

That's true. But they also draft for needs. They draft Ruckman, KP Defenders & Forwards, small Forwards/Defenders , wings etc.
On the other hand we draft inside mids from Footscray .

As usual it's because we can't settle on a position. He's played as a small forward but then gets thrown up on the wing and then plays midfield minutes in the VFL. You can guarantee that they settled on a position with Close and kept him developing there.

Talking to my brother yesterday and one of his mates owns a butcher shop in Ballarat, mad dogs supporter. Chris Maple comes into the shop all the time and they are friends.
* Maple wasn't pushed out the door, felt is was time for a change, so took an offer to coach Ballarat.
*Lobb is do or die for them. They will do it what it takes to get him and Maple pretty certain he will be at the Dogs next season.
  • Bev really considering playing Naughton in the backline again. Not set in stone he will continue to play forward.
  • Guys playing with Jones at Currumbin were amazed at how professional and how good he was. Desperate to play AFL again.
  • Marra very easy to coach. Didn't sulk when he got dropped, went to training and took it on the chin. Doesn't expect any favours being the no.1 draft pick. Complete opposite to what D.Mitchell says he is.
  • Players, coaches from other clubs already worried about Darcy. Players from other sides cant believe how good he is for someone who hasn't had a full pre season.

Last edited:

If you are not a destination club you must focus largely on youth. We don't have the players wanting to come to our club that Geelong and other bigger clubs have - we have to develop youth in a way that they can largely avoid. The AFL is not a level playing field.

If you are not a destination club you must focus largely on youth. We don't have the players wanting to come to our club that Geelong and other bigger clubs have - we have to develop youth in a way that they can largely avoid. The AFL is not a level playing field.
Wish we had Geelong's endless cap.

Talking to my brother yesterday and one of his mates owns a butcher shop in Ballarat, mad dogs supporter. Chris Maple comes into the shop all the time and they are friends.
* Maple wasn't pushed out the door, felt is was time for a change, so took an offer to coach Ballarat.
*Lobb is do or die for them. They will do it what it takes to get him and Maple pretty certain he will be at the Dogs next season.
  • Bev really considering playing Naughton in the backline again. Not set in stone he will continue to play forward.
  • Guys playing with Jones at Currumbin were amazed at how professional and how good he was. Desperate to play AFL again.
  • Marra very easy to coach. Didn't sulk when he got dropped, went to training and took it on the chin. Doesn't expect any favours being the no.1 draft pick.
  • Players, coaches from other clubs already worried about Darcy. Players from other sides cant believe how good he is for someone who hasn't had a full pre season.

Cheers Gordo! Love all of these points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back