Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Western Bulldogs list manager Sam Power has offered updates on several names that could arrive and depart Whitten Oval this trade period.

With big names touted as both ins and outs for the club, here’s what Power had to say on multiple trade prospects.

With Fremantle list manager David Wallis telling AFL Trade Radio that Rory Lobb would remain a Docker, Power says the Dogs will “keep having discussions” in hopes of facilitating a trade for the tall forward.

On Rory Lobb’s hopes to join the club

“Rory is clearly contracted, I understand Freo’s position there,” Power said on AFL Trade Radio.

“He’s indicated he’d like to come to us if a deal can be done.

“His partner moved to Victoria earlier in the year and he’s keen to get over to Victoria and be with her.

“We’ll keep having discussions with Freo, we’ll keep having chats where we can.

“I’m really sort of reluctant given his contract going into too many details, but he’s clearly showed he can play as a key forward and be a second ruck option as he did this year at Freo.

“Other than saying that, it’s something ideally if we’re able to work through something this trade period, hopefully, we’ll be able to comment more down the track but given he’s contracted.”

On acquiring Liam Jones as a free agent

“We’re anticipating hopefully in the next 24 hours whether that’s today or tomorrow getting paperwork prepared.

“Also, we have to weigh up our aim list, we’ve had some free agents throughout the year who have had different interests at times from clubs, so we’ll try and get as much information there as well before lodging paperwork.

“He’s really excited, he’s a fantastic guy Liam, he’s obviously played a lot of really good football … particularly the last few years at Carlton as a key defender.

“That’s an area of the ground we’ve been really keen to address and also what Liam offers on a personal level as well.

“Not only what Liam can bring on-field to our defensive stocks but also the maturity and experience he can bring to our group which is still relatively quite young.”

On potential free agency departure for Zaine Cordy

“We’ve been in constant dialogue with his management, he’s a free agent and he’s entitled to look around at what’s there.

“We’ll continue to have discussions across the trade period with his management to see where that lands.”

On Josh Dunkley’s trade request to Brisbane

“We’ve had some initial discussions with Brisbane at this stage.

“We really wanted to keep Josh and offered him a long-term contract that we thought was really compelling.

“He’s a fantastic player … best and fairest winner and premiership winner at the club but his desire is to get to Brisbane if he can.

“We’ll work in good faith with Brisbane to hopefully sort of reach an outcome.

“But with how highly we rate Josh and the player he is we expect compensation for what he displayed this year and across his career.”
This confirms for me that Lobb is seen as an opportunity due to his personal circumstances. I don’t think we’ll overpay and would likely just move on.

Jones, Madgen, Rowe, a host of draft picks.

Cannot be unhappy at that. We've addressed our defence and small forward stocks- our two biggest areas of need imo.
I’d be unhappy. I’m not interested in addressing our stocks, I want to improve our best 22. Jones should do but very short term. The other 2 I’m not convinced.

That doesn't kick the ball. A pure handballer similar to Mitchell.
He can get the pill for sure, but is slow and similar in many ways to Jacko and Libba.
No thanks

I’d have a crack if he came cheap. He’s in and under. Dunks can’t kick either and he went alright.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The good thing about Rowe and Madgen is that they will come very cheap. Freo are obviously going to expects overs for Lobb because he's contracted, and they are well within their rights to do so. But that's not our problem. Move on and try to find value somewhere else. Personally I never liked the idea of Rory Lobb coming to the Dogs. He's a mercenary. Rowe, Jones and Madgen aren't stars but they will play for the jumper.

You have just proven my point exactly. So much hostility and anger about something that hasn't happened, won't happen, nobody is even suggesting, and there's no evidence to support that it is happening. Power has been very strong in his comments so far - he's handling it the right way. Why the angst?

Nowhere did I say we should accept well unders, or accept s**t. I am not the one doing the negotiating so I am not speaking about how to approach the negotiation - I thought that would be obvious. I am talking about the end result. The end result will be one of compromisation by one or both parties. We hope it's not just us compromising, as do Brisbane fans, but most likely, both parties will in the end. 7 & 15 for an uncontracted player to a team is fantasy land stuff and Power can't be held to that standard.

In terms of the pick 15 stuff, let's reverse this. Let's say it's 2021 and we have Darcy, who we need points for. We also have an uncontracted player who has wanted to come to us, and the other team are asking for two first rounders. We are trying to negotiate with them while also trying to make sure we can pick Darcy. Knowing that the player trade is likely to take some time to work through - do you think we should hold off doing trades to ensure we can get Darcy until the other trade is done? What happens if we can't agree until 1 min before the deadline?

Dude, list managers don't lock themselves in an office with one other list manager for 24 hours until the deal is done. They explore every possible option to find the best one they can. Sometimes that requires the trading of assets that you had maybe discussed at some stage with another club.

Honestly, I've just clicked through pages and pages of abuse directed at other teams, players, other members, and even our own ******* staff. It's out of control and it makes this place completely unenjoyable. Why does everything need to be taken personally? Why the aggression? Jesus, we all want us to be good. We have the same goal.
To be honest your original post was way more pushy & assertive that “this is what’s happening” “this is how it works” than majority of previous posts - obviously there’s a few outliers with people venting their frustration at a good player who wants to leave and having a dig at an opposition club, who really cares. There’s hardly been mountains of abuse thrown around as suggested.

Mostly just people discussing what they want out of the trade and how they’d go about it, obviously none of us have a *ing clue or say in the matter, but it is a forum of discussion after all and people are entitled to their views, as are you.

For what it’s worth there’s been what a handful of people over the past month demand that we get 7 & 15 for Dunks and hold Power to any sort of standard from that. Majority of talk of those picks has included points back the other way which is where this deal will likely end up

This confirms for me that Lobb is seen as an opportunity due to his personal circumstances. I don’t think we’ll overpay and would likely just move on.
Agree 100%, Power knows that he's got Freo right where he wants them and Freos posturing is nothing more than fan service and squeeze out a better deal from us (which wont happen).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs list manager Sam Power has offered updates on several names that could arrive and depart Whitten Oval this trade period.

With big names touted as both ins and outs for the club, here’s what Power had to say on multiple trade prospects.

With Fremantle list manager David Wallis telling AFL Trade Radio that Rory Lobb would remain a Docker, Power says the Dogs will “keep having discussions” in hopes of facilitating a trade for the tall forward.

On Rory Lobb’s hopes to join the club

“Rory is clearly contracted, I understand Freo’s position there,” Power said on AFL Trade Radio.

“He’s indicated he’d like to come to us if a deal can be done.

“His partner moved to Victoria earlier in the year and he’s keen to get over to Victoria and be with her.

“We’ll keep having discussions with Freo, we’ll keep having chats where we can.

“I’m really sort of reluctant given his contract going into too many details, but he’s clearly showed he can play as a key forward and be a second ruck option as he did this year at Freo.

“Other than saying that, it’s something ideally if we’re able to work through something this trade period, hopefully, we’ll be able to comment more down the track but given he’s contracted.”

On acquiring Liam Jones as a free agent

“We’re anticipating hopefully in the next 24 hours whether that’s today or tomorrow getting paperwork prepared.

“Also, we have to weigh up our aim list, we’ve had some free agents throughout the year who have had different interests at times from clubs, so we’ll try and get as much information there as well before lodging paperwork.

“He’s really excited, he’s a fantastic guy Liam, he’s obviously played a lot of really good football … particularly the last few years at Carlton as a key defender.

“That’s an area of the ground we’ve been really keen to address and also what Liam offers on a personal level as well.

“Not only what Liam can bring on-field to our defensive stocks but also the maturity and experience he can bring to our group which is still relatively quite young.”

On potential free agency departure for Zaine Cordy

“We’ve been in constant dialogue with his management, he’s a free agent and he’s entitled to look around at what’s there.

“We’ll continue to have discussions across the trade period with his management to see where that lands.”

On Josh Dunkley’s trade request to Brisbane

“We’ve had some initial discussions with Brisbane at this stage.

“We really wanted to keep Josh and offered him a long-term contract that we thought was really compelling.

“He’s a fantastic player … best and fairest winner and premiership winner at the club but his desire is to get to Brisbane if he can.

“We’ll work in good faith with Brisbane to hopefully sort of reach an outcome.

“But with how highly we rate Josh and the player he is we expect compensation for what he displayed this year and across his career.”
Good read, sounds like Power is thinking similarly to how we all want him to be thinking for these two trades.

A bit unphased about Lobb, if it happens it happens but doesn’t sound like we’re desperate to overpay. I’d think this gets done still even if we put up a little bit more than we really want to.

Firm on Dunks ability/value and expecting to be compensated well

The good thing about Rowe and Madgen is that they will come very cheap. Freo are obviously going to expects overs for Lobb because he's contracted, and they are well within their rights to do so. But that's not our problem. Move on and try to find value somewhere else. Personally I never liked the idea of Rory Lobb coming to the Dogs. He's a mercenary. Rowe, Jones and Madgen aren't stars but they will play for the jumper.
Look, Rowe and Madgen would definitely occupy the dressing rooms at the club and attend training. They are both young and have recently had full time employment. Both can read and write. Madgen eats well, as does Rowe. They both love football and are both Australian citizens.

Current first, 2023 1st, pick swaps.
If they trade down their existing 2022 first rounder than it's unlikely a deal gets done.

I think Bowes gets to Geelong
Yea that makes sense. I think there is a really strong possibility that Dunks isn't going to get to Brisbane. He couldn't have chosen a team in a worse position
The posture posting this time of year is always a bit of a nightmare.

Dunkley is uncontracted. He has chosen a team. He is a good player. He is going to be traded, it is almost certainly going to be to Brisbane, and it will definitely be below his actual value.

There is nothing - nothing - to be gained by walking him to the PSD. You ruin player relationships, relationships with other clubs, and make players think twice about whether you've got their wellbeing in mind.

You don't "set an example" to teams or to players. The only message you send is that you are hard to deal with and will make life hard for any player who has a legitimate reason for wanting to find a new workplace.

For these and other reasons, it just doesn't happen. The only example I can think of off the top of my head that is remotely comparable is Jack Martin (who isn't really at Dunkley's level) - and, gee, it's hard to make an argument that getting nothing for him has worked well for GC, hey?

There is no way nothing is better than a first rounder or something. If you think we were s**t this year, wait until you take out our best and fairest and replace his list spot with a pick in the 80s.

Dunkley will be traded to Brisbane and he will go for less than he is truly worth - because that's the way negotiating works. They're starting at a future first, we're starting at two firsts. The goal is to bridge that gap, but that will take time. Brisbane will need to make other deals in the meantime, and yes, that might mean trading other picks that you might have your eye on. But that doesn't mean they're trying to * us over, and it doesn't mean they're not acting in good faith. It just means they have s**t to do and can't leave it all to the last day. They want Dunks too.

TL;DR can we spare the 10 pages of weird posturing that doesn't make sense and also doesn't change anything about the negotiations? There's so much anger here, FFS footy is meant to be fun.
...I agree to a certain extent but Sam needs to test their resolve and threaten to walk him...
The question is who stands to lose more if the deal doesn't happen.
A lot of people see Dunkley as the missing piece in the Brisbane midfield, a team on the cusp looking to take the next step now. It would be a disaster for Brisbane if the trade doesn't get done.
I don't think it is unrealistic posturing to hold out for what a player is actually worth.
We all know that you usually don't get what you want in a trade but in this instance the player we are talking about is squeaky clean with no baggage and a fresh club B&F.
The Dunkley situation is pretty unique.

Last edited:
Jones, Madgen, Rowe, a host of draft picks.

Cannot be unhappy at that. We've addressed our defence and small forward stocks- our two biggest areas of need imo.
Magden only 192 centimetres stringer size no thanks Rowe can't get a game at Adelaide could never be happy with that lot.

Looks like GWS will have a stack of picks this year.
Any consideration to trade our first down to a late first and pick up an extra second? This could be a year to really hit the draft hard

Thought Sam Power’s comment “Looks like they have a bit on with points. Maybe they’ll have to use players” on the dogs site was interesting 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back