Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I only just listened to his interview on sen 30 minutes ago. The last 5 minutes of it was a car crash. Horrible due-diligence, horrible appointment. It’s actually a good thing he never set foot in the club.

I have a mental image of Barham literally throwing him out of the Hangar.
more like this

the-body-guard-saved.gif

I don't think this really stops him doing his job... I'm just trying to work out how he manages the cognitive dissonance.

I'll stop short from playing wordplay gymnastics and calling it "cognitive dissonance", but I will tell you he can be tolerant, and it's actually pretty easy.

Because firstly,

The main priority of the Essendon football club is football. Playing sport. Memberships. Financial efficiency in making it viable and the stability of it from a governance point of view. It's primary role is not gay rights activism (like in your farfetched example of bringing up corporations where their primary goals are the points you made). All Andrew needs to do is ensure his involvement doesn't curb the freedom of gays to be openly gay and to deal with those that do. It is a literal footnote in the running of the club and his job as a CEO.

Secondly, for someone who follows rules in a religion, there's a thing called free will. He can follow those principles on a personal level, advise those who willfully participate in a forum dedicated to it, i.e; a church and let it be up to his maker to decide on the rest. Andrew would say it isn't his job to structure people's lives in a physical way as if to coerce, or change them.

That is essentially the backbone of being tolerant of each other, and the definition of inclusiveness. Inclusivity begins with yourself first.

This is the former CEO of one of the largest businesses in Australia. The second biggest bank of the BIG4. CEOs at this level are employed because they can identify the talent that they need in place in every position, and they are also the people who do not tell people how to do their job, but remove them in a heartbeat when they don’t execute on the vision.

If that is not enough for you, who in the coterie groups is going to bully this guy?

I think it is an outstanding appointment.

Amen.
Outstanding appointment !!!

Statement on behalf of Dave Barham

The Board of the Essendon Football Club has accepted the resignation of Andrew Thorburn as CEO.

As soon as the comments relating to a 2013 sermon from a pastor, at the City of the Hill church came to light this morning, we acted immediately to clarify the publicly espoused views on the organisation’s official website, which are in direct contradiction to our values as a Club.

Essendon is committed to providing an inclusive, diverse and a safe Club, where everyone is welcome and respected.

The Board made clear that, despite these not being views that Andrew Thorburn has expressed personally and that were also made prior to him taking up his role as Chairman, he couldn’t continue to serve in his dual roles at the Essendon Football Club and as Chairman of City on the Hill.

The Board respects Andrew’s decision.

We are deeply committed to our values and support wholeheartedly the work of the AFL in continuing to stamp out any discrimination based on race, sex, religion, gender, sexual identity or orientation, or physical or mental disability.
I want to stress that neither the board nor Andrew was aware of the comments from the 2013 sermon until we read about them this morning. I also want to stress that this is not about vilifying anyone for their personal religious beliefs, but about a clear conflict of interest with an organisation whose views do not align at all with our values as a safe, inclusive, diverse and welcoming club for our staff, our players, our members, our fans, our partners and the wider community.

Acting CEO Nick Ryan will continue in his role whilst we commence the process to appoint a new CEO.

It's not stupid because board members aren't seen as leaders in a church environment. Ordained ministers/pastors/etc are.
you mean like this ****ing moron?

1664866875495.png

It’s very clear no, or at least insufficient, due diligence was done here. Nobody with any sense of society today would have failed to anticipate what has now transpired had it been a known issue.

It strongly suggests the appointment did not follow the process and was made with little rigour. Barham will struggle to survive this.

The good news is that I am unsure we can bottom out further than this.
You keep saying this, Essendon keeps saying:

Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly hope that people are now cancelling their memberships and withdrawing support from every political party, business and other organisation that employs people that hold positions within a religion that is anti minority.

Because you know, we don't judge people on their own personal beliefs, no we don't have time for that. Read the label on the box and form our opinions there and then.

People falling for media whipping up a s**t storm about a person's life knowing full well those same media organisations are run by exactly the same type of person as this bloke.

What an absolute joke.
The irony was not lost about the HUN beating up the story about homophobia and such while its biggest star is Andrew Bolt

lol

The Board made clear that, despite these not being views that Andrew Thorburn has expressed personally and that were also made prior to him taking up his role as Chairman, he couldn’t continue to serve in his dual roles at the Essendon Football Club and as Chairman of City on the Hill.

this is clearly right. Both these gigs are clearly passion projects given he's ridiculously overqualified, if he's decided to pick City on the Hill, then whatever

And I do feel that being part of the external review and then immediately becoming CEO seems to have been pretty insane, unless he was part of an external review in which internal staff said literally nothing.

I think we should poll the players we definitely don't want any Christians playing for us, their beliefs might influence teammates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back