Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
why can’t people people in positions of power follow a process at this football club, always want to make a captains call and go their own way. Thorburn should’ve never even been involved with picking the ceo, was a red flag for me straight away. Next minute barham is moreorless offering him the job. Thank god he will never actually be our ceo

To be perfectly clear, a person who leads your organisation should hold the values of the organisation. If it's clear the person does not hold the values ie. Will not denounce homophobia even though they have close ties to a homophobic organisation, they should not be able to be in that position.

Yes. Screen them for bigoted ideas. Being Christian does not mean bigoted. Being bigoted means bigoted. Many Christians are not homophobic

Late to the party here but 100% agree. Nobody can expect to hold a senior position of an organisation (let alone the CEO) and publicly hold views (let alone simultaneously be the chairman of an organisation that espouses views) diametrically opposed to that organisation.

Let’s be clear: he wasn’t forced to resign because he’s a Christian - he was forced to resign because of the clear conflict of values of organisations that he led. So any ‘whatabouts’ referring to followers of Islam or any other religion are misguided.

You’d also have to assume that the club fielded some choice phone calls from sponsors who weren’t too keen on being represented by those views and values.

I have a lot of personal views which I’ll leave out of this, but suffice to say I’m very happy the club at least had the courage to nip this in the bud, notwithstanding some proper process and due diligence could have avoided this situation altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cancel culture at its finest.

guy has a track record of running inclusive workplaces yet he loses his job because he doesnr denounce his church.

even being associated with religion anymore is enough to lose your job, even if you openly say you support people of different sexual orientation.

whilst this is stupid, I suppose it was inevitable in 2022.

Cancel culture at its finest.

guy has a track record of running inclusive workplaces yet he loses his job because he doesnr denounce his church.

even being associated with religion anymore is enough to lose your job, even if you openly say you support people of different sexual orientation.

whilst this is stupid, I suppose it was inevitable in 2022.
How hard is it to say homophobia is wrong?

How hard is it to say 'i don't have a right to decide whether a woman can keep her baby or not'?

The results of the independent review have come in and the big findings were:

We need a coach with similar attributes to Chris Scott. [Brad, tick]

We need to nab a CEO that runs the club like Hawthorn was in their Premiership era, and can exorcise the demons within the club. [Thorburn, tick]

When it's apparently 'acceptance' by force, I'd suggest wrongly.

Are we going to start screening potential draftees on their personal/religious views now?
Well you raise an interesting question. Suppose we draft someone who turns out to be that elite game breaking mid we've been yearning for . He becomes a team leader commanding the respect of the rest of the player group. Then he suddenly tweets that he can no longer stay silent, and goes all Izzy Folau. What do you suppose happens next?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How hard is it to say homophobia is wrong?

How hard is it to say 'i don't have a right to decide whether a woman can keep her baby or not'?

why are his personal views at all related to how the guy does his job?

if he is running an inclusive workplace wtf does it matter what his personal beleifs are?

the guy literally said he accepts people of different sexial orientation. If he was homophobic I doubt he would say it.

All jokes aside, how can you actually bullet-proof a process to stop an appointment like this from happening? Check with the media first I guess to see if they have any dirt on the candidate…? 🤷‍♂️
You'd generally ask what boards they're on to ensure no conflict of interest

Zero doubt the board knew of this
The issue is they didnt see this coming to avoid it

We need to nab a CEO that runs the club like Hawthorn was in their Premiership era, and can exorcise the demons within the club. [Thorburn, tick]
Head of a church is probably a good candidate to actually exorcise demons, do you think he would have got that done overnight? Hope so.

Pretty clear Andrew wouldnt publicly denounce homophobia. No place for somebody who won't denounce that in our club.

Terrible decision for the club in the first place.

Club is a mess but * off if you can't denounce homophobia and you're in a position of power.
Was a car crash interview this morning. His statement tonight again makes it clear he was a terrible fit.

why can’t people people in positions of power follow a process at this football club, always want to make a captains call and go their own way. Thorburn should’ve never even been involved with picking the ceo, was a red flag for me straight away. Next minute barham is moreorless offering him the job. Thank god he will never actually be our ceo
I thought he was on the review panel, not the CEO panel 🤷‍♂️

Anybody who is homophobic should not be a leader of an organisation. Don't care what religious group you are part of.
Do you honestly believe if we picked a middle eastern bloke who openly practices Islam he would have been smashed the same way Thorburn was?

I can’t see how Barham stays on, not a single supporter would be confident in the board and the decisions it makes for the football club.
Just see the next 6m out.

Gov of victoria wraps up her gig next year. She's ex essendon women's network chair and was an afl commissioner and by all accounts a sharp operator.

If we have to have essendon ppl running this joint, can we get ones with zero association with the last 20 years

why are his personal views at all related to how the guy does his job?

if he is running an inclusive workplace wtf does it matter what his personal beleifs are?

the guy literally said he accepts people of different sexial orientation. If he was homophobic I doubt he would say it.
This is like 'he can call them an n word in his own time as long as he treats em right'.

Queer people already cop enough shit, they don't need to be wondering if their boss secretly thinks they're an abomination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back