Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't go as far as to say we 'won' trade period, but personally I'm thrilled with what Melbourne did:

In: Grundy, Hunter, Schache, pick 13, 37, Freo F1, Freo F2

Out: Jackson, Hunt, Bedford, Weideman, pick 33, 43, 53, 67, 72, F3, F4

Managed to upgrade Jackson to Grundy (at least on what you can expect over the next two years), while bringing in two first rounders and a second, finally sorted out our second wing, and lost a couple of depth players who were our long-term whipping boys.

Very pleased

With Schache on the list you now have a new whipping boy

Winner. Pretty much who ever got the Bowes Pick 7 Goldcoast insane gift

Geelong with out it is Bruhn Henry minus Stephens pick 58 64 and only there 1st round selection for next year
Loser Gold Coast

Collingwood, ditto. Frampton, Mitchell, Hill just seems pretty eh. They ditched the Grundy contract at least and improved their draft hand for 2023.
Hill the least meh for me. Young with potential.
McStay and Frampton are the two head scratchers.

McStay out and Gunston in seems a good win for BL. Not sure what they see Frampton providing.

Actually don't mind our trade/FA haul.

Amon is a big win in an area we are lacking. Two relics of the Clarkson midfield are gone clearing the way for green shoots and cashed in for some albeit diminished value.

Only real loss is Gunston but can't begrudge him for leaving after 3flags and a tough personal situation this year. Change of scenery would do him good.

Replaced BigBoy with Meek. Stephens seems a low risk high reward plug in and play big bodied mid to replace a Mitchell/JOM.

We have a scattering of late picks though so I will rest my judgement until the draft. I hope we can get creative with some pick trades to maximise them.

We could have squeezed some deals a bit harder but I'm guessing with the hold up of Dunkley to Brisbane we had to close with what we could get. Missing out on pick 7 was a bitter blow but hard to compete with the draw of possibly nabbing a flag.

They paid a reasonable price to get Taranto and Hopper. And they are still in an awkward position where that might just be enough to keep them where they are and not improve them massively.

Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Tarrant, Pickett, Lynch, Prestia all 30+ next year.

Geelong and Port are the big winners. Geelong won the flag and ended up with a gift pick 7, then added a top 20 pick who's shown a bit from two years ago. And wouldn't let Ratagolea (!) go for pick 33.

Taranto and Hopper will help them to tread water, same place the Hawks were at a few years back.

Freo lost one genuine first 15 picked player, albeit a 30yo one. It really depends on Tabener and Fyfe just how much it effects us!

The rest were fringe players that knew their worth at Freo!

Forced changes from the SF team
Out: Logue, Lobb, Mundy, Acres
In: Jackson, Fyfe, Tabener, O'Meara

60/40 split, in favour

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club overpaid for an out of contract player. I know it's a tough pill to swallow but I'll let you in on a little secret: we would have accepted a future second for him if that's what it came down to. I think your list manager got spooked by the PSD bluff.
Elite trolling by Scrag 😂

Geelong and Richmond
Poort would have won it if they get Esava

Losers are definitely Hawthorn and Gold coast..
I reckon the Hawks will struggle next year big time through the middle and up forward. Gold coast just keep showing that they're the basket case of the league

Agreed that Hawthorn will not only struggle next year but for 2/3 years. But a long term view is that hard decisions needed to be made because our midfield, with TM and JOM was consistently beaten. We had to get some new blood and open up positions for the younger guys to be given an opportunity. Look what happened when Moore and Newcombe were given an opportunity, both easily outshone TM and JOM.

As much as a hate to say it but well done Geelong, they keep delivering, premiership, destination club, redeveloped home ground and training facility.

I just wonder how much of Costas will went to brown paper bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on Guatemala

Last edited:
GWS said that a lot of the top draftees told them not to draft them.

I’ve got a feeling they said the same thing to every non Victorian club.

Eagles did the right thing by taking out of pick 2 to an area of the draft where there is no mummy boy Vic Metro kids.

Yes agreed regarding West Coast. Their original picks only allowed them to draft the 2 best west Aussies, now they will draft the 3 or even 4 stand out west Aussies - Gibney, Hewett and Busslinger and possibly Ed Allen with pick 24.

Sent from my iPhone in Guatemala

Taranto and Hopper will help them to tread water, same place the Hawks were at a few years back.

Richmond’s list is much better than ours was a few years back. They have what we didn’t. Gun players 23 and under.

They have one of the top 3 key forwards in the comp (Lynch), one of the most exciting and talented forward/mids (Shai Bolton), elite half backs in Rioli and Short and a potentially elite key defender in Noah Balta. Other than Lynch, those players are still relatively young and will get better.

Hopper and Taranto coupled with the experience of Dusty, Prestia, Cotchin and emergence of Tyler Sonsie has Richmond in the sweet spot. Their list is in great shape.

They should be challenging for another flag next season and in 2024.

Yep.

Got Logue and Tucker with Monopoly money pick handouts. Logue will be solid down back. Tucker will get games with little competition.
But Freo got good currency for them in totality.

Two pick ones that downgraded to 2, 3 and a pick 10-14 next year. With a couple of token throwaway picks in the 40s to appease the masses.

Hardly the kings ransom for the most coveted prizes. Letting the best tall go in another draft is an interesting list management decision.

Plenty of clubs don’t have Cadman in the top 5

They paid a reasonable price to get Taranto and Hopper. And they are still in an awkward position where that might just be enough to keep them where they are and not improve them massively.

Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Tarrant, Pickett, Lynch, Prestia all 30+ next year.

Geelong and Port are the big winners. Geelong won the flag and ended up with a gift pick 7, then added a top 20 pick who's shown a bit from two years ago. And wouldn't let Ratagolea (!) go for pick 33.
I think Richmond are consciously going all in on a flag in the next year or two, while Cotchin, Martin and JR are still around.

In that context, the trade period makes sense; they've basically sacrificed this draft for experienced players to fill immediate needs.

Can only really be judged in hindsight: if they pinch a flag in 2023-4, they probably won't care what happens from 2025 onwards....

As far as immediate impact goes I'd have to say Richmond are the biggest winners.

Geelong have done very well over-all, particularly for the future, but not sure how effective Bowes/Henry/Bruhn will be to their 2023 team. I'm bloody glad they didn't get Hopper.
Agree
If you consider it from an angle of which team has best improved their list for 2023, it's Richmond and then prob Brisbane

Brisbane now only have 2400 draft points. GWS should do the right thing and bid on Ashcroft at pick 1, will wipe out Brisbane's entire draft hand of 7 picks at one go, would be spectacular to watch!

Also saves Cadman the weight of having to carry the number one tag

Do it GWS, a pay back for 10 years of being raided.
They won't do it. GWS didn't do it for Diacos last year who is the clear best player of that draft so no reason why they would do it this time.

IMHO the Saints are the big losers.

You say whatever you want about Gold Coast or Hawthorn, at least they were proactive. They realised their existing list wasn't going to cut it, and aggressively made changes to deal with that. They're sucking it up and making the tough decisions to improve things.

Saints have a relatively old list but are neither an obvious contender nor an obvious 'rebuilder'. They have blokes who seem to be clogging up the list on good coin, that IMHO they could have been way more assertive in moving on. Why not bite the bullet and let Hill go for unders, or even pay another club a pick to take him and his salary on? Could the Clark deal have been pushed more strongly? Could they have been more willing to trade Pick 9 for a couple of later firsts?

In the end, they did nothing. Consciously or not, they sent the message that they think this is a winning list that doesn't need much tweaking. IMHO they need a complete overhaul.

Amazed people haven't voted Richmond as the outright winners.

They got the best players. They are the winners. They turned 4 speculative picks into 2 good players.

Honestly echoes of Titch/O'Meara to Hawks - a last roll of the dice while Cotch/JR/Martin still around, but I think could backfire and set their club back 5 years like it did Hawthorn.

Fingers crossed anyway :cool:

Back