No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s still a process though get the pitches and the message from the candidates and see which best aligns.

It’s obviously going to be select interview. I’m happy for Lyon to be one of the candidates but he shouldn’t be the only one.

Ultimately I think we’re in furious agreement.
Lyon, Yze, Leppitsch, Lappin

Can't think of many more...they basically said today they want higher standards...all those coaches have come from successful clubs or have shown to set high standards before.

Hard to see who else we might be eyeing off.

For all of his success how many premierships does he have?

Like it or not that’s what matters.

You can argue we were as good a side as Geelong were between 08-11 but we have nothing to show for it.

Two of the losses were purely on his players executing basic skills.

Lethlean was interesting in his comments that they recognise an incoming coach will have negatives that they will need to work on and put support in place to deal with. Suggests to me that they are looking at someone who has coached before (e.g. Lyon) whose negatives will be a known quantity.

Ross has acknowledged on Footy Classified and Triple M that the game has changed significantly since the 6-6-6- rule was introduced and the sort of defensive structure he and Clarko used to adopt would not work these days. He is smart enough to put in place a game plan suited to the list and the way footy has developed. Knowing Ross, that would also come with a few things that were new to the industry entirely.

Ross cops a lot of criticism for never having rebuilt a club but in his last couple of years at Freo, he introduced a lot of the kids who were part of Freo's success this year. Guys like Brayshaw, Taberner, Logue, Cox, Ryan, Pearce, Switkowski, Schulz, Darcy have all come on as excellent players (plus Langdon and Cerra who both left) and Lyon was coach during the early years of their career. You could argue that another 12 months at Freo and he would have had them back in the finals.
Yeah he did develop more youth at Freo, undoubtedly. Is that because they had better youth coming through or because he’d changed? Who knows.

As much as I like Ratten, some of our footy in the last two seasons has been absolutely putrid at its worst, and beautiful at its best. The inconsistency between the highs and the lows two years in a row though is not really tolerable. Of course Ratten is not the only variable in that inconsistency but being the head coach the buck should stop with him in some sense.

As for the extending then axing the contract I can understand the strategy in place which Bassat and Lethers outlined in the press conference, and what’s important is that they acknowledged in hindsight it was a mistake. Okay, good. That’s footy for you it’s a harsh industry but that’s the reality.

Feel this is the right move for the club moving forward and that we are still on a trajectory of improvement, one which this off season has been characterised by the bringing in of new staff and good footy people. Refreshing our club external to the players was definitely on my wants list.

Potentially really exciting times to come with a new head coach and forwards coach. With Enright down back, Hayes in the mids, Walsh, Dilena and other like individuals filling our club now we are building a culture of success.

Look at the impact Enright had on our defence this year, imagine if we got that with Hayes in the middle and a new coach up forward, all tied in by a new head coach. I can buy in to that picture. And if there’s one thing our club and players need right now is a little buy in. Not far off it if the pieces come together and we continue to draft well.

Agree on both fronts.

Probably not the process bit, I think we have done an internal process ourselves and now just going after a couple in mind that fit the characteristics we require.
One of them said something like if the decision had been Ratts stays, then the review would have been completed a month ago.
So you would assume the last month has had a bit of "who's next" on the agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon, Yze, Leppitsch, Lappin, Lasso

Can't think of many more...they basically said today they want higher standards...all those coaches have come from successful clubs or have shown to set high standards before.

Hard to see who else we might be eyeing off.
fixed

Similar win loss to Lyon at Freo and one losing Gf to match
I used to really not like Buckley, as a player, then as a coach - the FIGJAM arrogance stuff was real but I actually think
he's changed and chilled out a lot from that. He's a smart dude who knows and loves the game. I would be OK with him.
He's also still a ruthless campaigner which is what we need.

I used to really not like Buckley, as a player, then as a coach - the FIGJAM arrogance stuff was real but I actually think
he's changed and chilled out a lot from that. He's a smart dude who knows and loves the game. I would be OK with him.
He's also still a ruthless campaigner which is what we need.
If we were only speaking to one former coach I’d prefer him to Ross.

One of them said something like if the decision had been Ratts stays, then the review would have been completed a month ago.
For all we know the last month could have been the process to identify the next coach and then Ratten was given the chance to go and present his case like the other coaches would've and a decision was made.

Bassat also said he'd spent the last month trying to find reasons to a different outcome.

Clearly more to do with not wanting to wreck any potential trades :eek: or the negotiations with DeGoey.

You'd hope that those in the know had started to put together a wish list of potential candidates... hard to imagine that any approaches wouldn't have leaked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back