News Glen Bartlett launches legal action against MFC's Kate Roffey and other club officials; "Appeasement" over Goodwin's behaviour; Tissue required...

Remove this Banner Ad

"Run out of town" after pushing for hair testing for club officials.

In a recent interview with the Herald Sun, former Melbourne Football Club president Glen Bartlett opened up about the shocking events that led to his resignation in April 2021. Bartlett recounts a series of serious behavioural issues within the club and his attempts to address them, which eventually led to his legal action against several parties, including Melbourne president Kate Roffey and the AFL.

"A tissue and a distressed look"

Last edited:

Mclachlan & Goyder put the AFL right in the middle of this:
The former Melbourne president believed there were serious behavioural issues involving Demons senior coach Simon Goodwin, so raised this — and other issues — with AFL commission chairman Richard Goyder.

The AFL tells clubs it doesn’t like surprises, but this telephone call from Bartlett to Goyder for guidance surprised Bartlett. Indeed, it stunned him.

Bartlett told Goyder he had been made aware of multiple “serious behaviour issues at a senior level’’ within his club.

“Richard stopped me and said ‘You need to get Gill to a meeting because he’s been dealing with your CEO (Gary Pert) for 18 months about it’,’’ Bartlett now recalls to the Herald Sun.

“This was news to me.’’

As a dees fan I'm probably biased but have also followed this a bit closer than the average BigFooty poster.

Glen Bartlett played an important role as president when the club was at it's lowest point. He was one of the people in a key leadership role (alongside Peter Jackson as CEO and Paul Roos as Coach) while the club turned around on and off field. I will be forever grateful to the three of them (particularly Jackson) and anyone else that was part of this monumental shift that put us on a path to having a chance to win the premiership in 2021.

Clearly Barlett has been hurt by the way he was dealt with by the club and the board. Obviously I don't know all the ins and outs of what went on, but from an outsiders perspective, Bartlett has chanelled his hurt into destablising the club at every opportunity since the start of 2021 through Mick Warner's articles in the HS. It's disappointing to see this play out as he was one of the people that helped turn the club around.

But at the same time, if his gripe was with the club and the coach pre-2021, then what was he doing in the changerooms celebrating when the club won the premiership in 2021? It just looks like someone who wants to make it all about them (not the first president to be accused of that) - surely the bigger person walks away knowing they've made a big contribution to the success of the club - even if they're no longer in the role when the success occurs.

Different roles, but Josh Mahoney seemed to play a critical role in the list build and negotiations but also had to leave after missing out on the CEO role after Jackson left (which was prior to 2021) - he hasn't got the credit he deserved from his role in the premiership. But he has obviously taken a very different approach.

After all the "exclusive" coverage the story got last year (re the "abuse" of the doctor, the drinking and alcohol etc) I hope Barlett gets some honest advice that maybe, just maybe it's time to let this one go - for his own sakes as much as anything else.

It happens in many industries though
I get that, but personally believe that unless you're cutting people open or operating heavy machinery it shouldn't happen.

if his gripe was with the club and the coach pre-2021, then what was he doing in the changerooms celebrating when the club won the premiership in 2021?

You acknowledge his right to be there.

Clearly Barlett has been hurt by the way he was dealt with by the club and the board.

Its not just the club & the board:

“Put it this way, if it was just a boardroom coup that’s something different. But there’s no way those guys (Melbourne directors) are ringing me up without Pert and Gill’s support.

“The question for Gill is, in that meeting when he talks of 18 months of appeasement, what was he talking about? Basically, Goyder said on February 2, that ‘Glen, there are no secrets in the AFL, players and staff all know what’s going on and everyone is looking to you to do something’.

“I think the AFL abandoned me. If you look at my resume and what I’ve done for the game. They put me in there, they made it clear I had their full backing during February and March in 2021. I had their full backing to do whatever I wanted.

“The only thing that changed was my push on hair testing.'

As a dees fan I'm probably biased but have also followed this a bit closer than the average BigFooty poster.

Glen Bartlett played an important role as president when the club was at it's lowest point. He was one of the people in a key leadership role (alongside Peter Jackson as CEO and Paul Roos as Coach) while the club turned around on and off field. I will be forever grateful to the three of them (particularly Jackson) and anyone else that was part of this monumental shift that put us on a path to having a chance to win the premiership in 2021.

Clearly Barlett has been hurt by the way he was dealt with by the club and the board. Obviously I don't know all the ins and outs of what went on, but from an outsiders perspective, Bartlett has chanelled his hurt into destablising the club at every opportunity since the start of 2021 through Mick Warner's articles in the HS. It's disappointing to see this play out as he was one of the people that helped turn the club around.

But at the same time, if his gripe was with the club and the coach pre-2021, then what was he doing in the changerooms celebrating when the club won the premiership in 2021? It just looks like someone who wants to make it all about them (not the first president to be accused of that) - surely the bigger person walks away knowing they've made a big contribution to the success of the club - even if they're no longer in the role when the success occurs.

Different roles, but Josh Mahoney seemed to play a critical role in the list build and negotiations but also had to leave after missing out on the CEO role after Jackson left (which was prior to 2021) - he hasn't got the credit he deserved from his role in the premiership. But he has obviously taken a very different approach.

After all the "exclusive" coverage the story got last year (re the "abuse" of the doctor, the drinking and alcohol etc) I hope Barlett gets some honest advice that maybe, just maybe it's time to let this one go - for his own sakes as much as anything else.
I don't really understand what he's talking about when he says he faced "malicious attack after malicious attack" from the media.

From memory, when he left everything seemed to be on good terms. There didn't appear to be any bad blood. He remained on the board for the rest of the year, was in the rooms after the 2021 Grand Final and even sang the song.

I believe this is the article brought up by Bartlett today. Written by Caroline Wilson right before the Grand Final.

In the article Wilson mentions Bartlett a few times. Claiming that he was 'nervous' and 'alarmed' about Goodwin's behaviour, reiterated the public admonishment of his players and coaches after a bad loss the year before, and relayed the board splitting with Bartlett over Goodwin's position.

She also gives Bartlett credit for being a part of the rebuild until that point.

Nothing about his fiance as Bartlett alleges. (It's possible the article may have been edited in that time.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You acknowledge his right to be there.

Its not just the club & the board:

“Put it this way, if it was just a boardroom coup that’s something different. But there’s no way those guys (Melbourne directors) are ringing me up without Pert and Gill’s support.

“The question for Gill is, in that meeting when he talks of 18 months of appeasement, what was he talking about? Basically, Goyder said on February 2, that ‘Glen, there are no secrets in the AFL, players and staff all know what’s going on and everyone is looking to you to do something’.

“I think the AFL abandoned me. If you look at my resume and what I’ve done for the game. They put me in there, they made it clear I had their full backing during February and March in 2021. I had their full backing to do whatever I wanted.

“The only thing that changed was my push on hair testing.'

Sure but we're only getting his version of events. Clearly he and his wife have been through a lot. There's no significant new information in the latest round of media reports. The HS should let him be - let the court cases play out. I don't see how Barlett or anyone wins out of keeping this in the media

Mclachlan & Goyder put the AFL right in the middle of this:
The former Melbourne president believed there were serious behavioural issues involving Demons senior coach Simon Goodwin, so raised this — and other issues — with AFL commission chairman Richard Goyder.

The AFL tells clubs it doesn’t like surprises, but this telephone call from Bartlett to Goyder for guidance surprised Bartlett. Indeed, it stunned him.

Bartlett told Goyder he had been made aware of multiple “serious behaviour issues at a senior level’’ within his club.

“Richard stopped me and said ‘You need to get Gill to a meeting because he’s been dealing with your CEO (Gary Pert) for 18 months about it’,’’ Bartlett now recalls to the Herald Sun.

“This was news to me.’’

“I will give you an example of Gill and you can quote all of this. We are about to break a 57-year drought, I was told I’d be sitting with Pert and the other directors, but I was put outside the roped off area, and everyone could see I was on the outer. I had a nice seat but I was seated away to make a point in my view.

“At quarter-time Pert spoke to Vicki and me. I told Pert to make sure you collect us after the game. No one did. We got to the lift, you’ve got Gill, Kate Roffey, Pert, and instead of saying ‘Let Glen and Vicki in’, the doors closed and they went down to ground level.

“Anyway, I’m standing in the race with old mates John Worsfold and Andrew Embley. Vicki was taking a photo of us and Gill was standing behind us, and Gill moved his head at almost right angles to get out of the photo.

Bartlett believes Gillon McLachlan wanted to avoid being in this photo. Picture: Supplied

Bartlett believes Gillon McLachlan wanted to avoid being in this photo. Picture: Supplied

Is this guy for real?

Sure but we're only getting his version of events. Clearly he and his wife have been through a lot. There's no significant new information in the latest round of media reports. The HS should let him be - let the court cases play out. I don't see how Barlett or anyone wins out of keeping this in the media

The story has been about the club & Bartlett wants it to involve McLachlan & Goyder/the AFL.

Drug testing employees who aren't players seems like total overreach and an unnecessary invasion of privacy.
I kind of think yes and no.

But if you're overseeing the training and well being of a bunch of people including teenagers and early 20's kids, you need to hold yourself to a higher standard and maybe the AFL needs to oversee things a bit more.

I kind of think yes and no.

But if you're overseeing the training and well being of a bunch of people including teenagers and early 20's kids, you need to hold yourself to a higher standard and maybe the AFL needs to oversee things a bit more.
If your life outside of work isn't affecting your ability to do your role it really shouldn't matter.

If your life outside of work isn't affecting your ability to do your role it really shouldn't matter.
The article seems to allude to the suggestion that for Goodwin it was.

The article seems to allude to the suggestion that for Goodwin it was.
The allegations surrounding his behavioural issues still seems fairly vague. Not even Bartlett is willing to delve too deeply into them. Regardless, those issues are why he was under close scrutiny at the time. Bartlett wanted him gone and the rest of the board wanted to take a different approach. You can disagree with the decisions that were made if you like. I don't see what drug testing would have actually gleaned that the administration wasn't already privy to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back