Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 versus GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I got a chance to look at replay after being at a family function yesterday.
First, it's a win. I don't care how we get them, as long as we get them. Winning an ugly game is still beautiful.
Second, ground looks worse than many suburban grounds. Almost wet weather footy on a dry day. AFL needs to get its s#@ together.
Third, defence was amazing (as usual).
Fourth, at beginning of year I said I thought I'd be surprised if Newman wasn't playing at beginning of year, but wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't (due to depth). I apologise to Nick (as also Matt Owies and JSOS). I'd be surprised if they aren't playing at end of year. 100% effort players.
Finally, Cripps... amazing. He knows he has a good team around him, and plays that way. He is not only a great player, but also is a great captain.
So much more could be said, but we're currently top 4. Anyone complaining just has to remember past 10 years. Drink it in, and look for great days ahead.

Was Cerra playing down back when Doc went into the middle?? I swear I saw him down back a lot, don’t want to have to watch that game again …. Anyone see who went back as a defender, not just all the wings

Not sure if he actually lined up at half back at any point but he was certainly mopping up in defence through general play. AFL app shows he got plenty of ball there.

Fish worked back very hard as well. Definitely a coaching directive.

It was Toby Greene's lowest possession count for a game his entire career inc debut.
(completed games ie not come off due to injury)

Newman 3 votes
Not only did Newman bully Greene, but he earned a ton of his own ball and used it well. Newman is the perfect option for stopping those mid/forward types (Bolton, Dusty, Bailey, Dylan Moore etc.)

McGovern was good too I thought, just not on the same wave length as others. I suspect Docherty and McGoverns kick into the corridor was an instruction and our mids weren’t onto it enough. They are both beautiful users of the footy usually and given we won I’m not too worried about their disposal.

Charlie was really good as a CHF and could’ve easily finished with 4.1

Clearly missing Kennedy and Walsh, which will add layers to our midfield. Cripps enormous, people knocking his game baffle me. Easy three votes and 10 AFLCA votes I’d have thought.

I really try to be a positive and a glass half full kind of person, but when I see Fish and Lob’s effort or should I say lack of effort, all I see is red, and wasted spots on our list. Not positive about them at all. They are fast becoming whipping boys 1 and 2 for me. Supposed talent in spades yet we never see any of it!

Really hope they spend some time in the 2’s and feel what it’s like to earn the spot rather than assuming they’re walk up starts. Maybe that will change the effort, attitude and output. ?

Surely there’s better options knocking down the door!?
How about Dow? How about Honey? Cunners? Someone!
Walsh Kennedy

I can never keep up with these threads. So this might be mentioned already.

To Lob’s defence, he got some game time against Sydney about a month ago and has since played 2 quarters in 2 games before yesterday. I reckon that's poor management of the sub, of course you will lose touch and timing playing so little. They should rotate that better

Thats just speculation.

If he's sworn at the umpire then the free kick is there, If he hasn't, then its a ridiculously soft free kick and we've gotten away with one.
This is just my recollection, but I thought there was an earlier incident when Cog answered back to an ump, and it looked like the ump looked at him. So maybe it wasn't just the one incident, but the one incident after a number... just the way I saw it...

Is there a special thread where u get apologies? I was destroyed for saying we would be lucky to win & haven’t heard a peep from those throwing rocks 🤔

You mean your comment about it will be a "minor miracle we win this"? We had 10 more scoring shots, just didn't convert

But still waiting for a response to the question prior to the game, "on what basis?" I guess it makes it easier to reply after the event

Is there a special thread where u get apologies? I was destroyed for saying we would be lucky to win & haven’t heard a peep from those throwing rocks 🤔
😆 I said by 10 points and was told we would flog em like last years 2 games. I don't we are playing as good as we can, yet. Think some players are in third gear still, watch out when the squad is in fifth

We won though and were in control the whole game, even when we were behind in the last quarter

Good teams win ugly, but so do average teams. The evidence so far points to us maybe being a bit closer to the latter than the former. But, the season is young. Still time for the players and coaches to evaluate where things go wrong, and we've got 2.5 wins under the belt 3 games in.

Need more out of Mckay but what's going on up the field not doing him any favours. But we have much better spread of scoring and our smalls are kicking multiples.
He never had form so will be hard to find.
Except when he was the best teenager in the AFL Emerging gem: Zac Fisher is the top AFL teenager — and already matching it with Blues’ leaders

Not only did Newman bully Greene, but he earned a ton of his own ball and used it well. Newman is the perfect option for stopping those mid/forward types (Bolton, Dusty, Bailey, Dylan Moore etc.)

McGovern was good too I thought, just not on the same wave length as others. I suspect Docherty and McGoverns kick into the corridor was an instruction and our mids weren’t onto it enough. They are both beautiful users of the footy usually and given we won I’m not too worried about their disposal.

Charlie was really good as a CHF and could’ve easily finished with 4.1

Clearly missing Kennedy and Walsh, which will add layers to our midfield. Cripps enormous, people knocking his game baffle me. Easy three votes and 10 AFLCA votes I’d have thought.
I’d like to see Charlie working from the square and H at CHF. Harry looks better on the lead up the ground. Takes a handy relief mark out of defence!

Would be nice if TDK could relief mark for us once he’s developed more. Can’t fault his endeavour so far.

Rotating Motlop / Durdin through the centre square could add a layer to our mids we are missing ATM - both have amazing awareness in close.

Upside!

TDK is looking a lot stronger... Really liked some of his Tractor like grunt work. He looks to be getting much more aggressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just my recollection, but I thought there was an earlier incident when Cog answered back to an ump, and it looked like the ump looked at him. So maybe it wasn't just the one incident, but the one incident after a number... just the way I saw it...
All of this aside, I think it was Whitfield who threw up his arms before the free kick was given. Speculation, sure, but I'm happy to believe he said something too

(in clearances and contested possessions, right up there in other stats)

I still love Zac but have a feeling (just a feeling) that his broken leg affected his longer term trajectory. Haven't, and likely won't, look at stats for proof either way
I still remember when he was amazingly slippery in traffic and had an affinity for contested ball and clearances, especially given his size.

Something has definitely gone a bit wrong since.

I still remember when he was amazingly slippery in traffic and had an affinity for contested ball and clearances, especially given his size.

Something has definitely gone a bit wrong since.
Maybe he's overthinking things and playing less on instinct?

I’d like to see Charlie working from the square and H at CHF. Harry looks better on the lead up the ground. Takes a handy relief mark out of defence!

Would be nice if TDK could relief mark for us once he’s developed more. Can’t fault his endeavour so far.

Rotating Motlop / Durdin through the centre square could add a layer to our mids we are missing ATM - both have amazing awareness in close.

Upside!
I tend to agree, whilst Charlie has great running capacity he doesn’t have the contested marking ability of say, McKay, Naughton etc.

McKay is very quick, a reliable contested mark, 205cm tall and a beautiful kick i50.

A lot to work with in terms of tall talent at the Blues.

Thats just speculation.

If he's sworn at the umpire then the free kick is there, If he hasn't, then its a ridiculously soft free kick and we've gotten away with one.
That's fine. We are due about twelve hundred as a square up over the last couple of seasons.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be fair, the only bad takes about Newman have been from Jimmae.

His takes have added 5 pages to this thread alone with people talking about how good Newman was.

Voss gave him special praise in the presser.

Exactly. I don’t like attacking a fellow poster but the point was this happens every week, and I’m just happy to see a lot of people in here give Nic his fair due and call out the crap being written.

Imagine Cripps having 20 contested at the coalface and then crying about his efficiency by foot at stoppage? One of the main reasons we won was due to that exact pre clearance work at the stoppage through his contest work. I had a good giggle here last night.

Back