Preview 2023 Round 5 Carlton vs Adelaide Thursday April 13 7:40PM AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Welcome back Walshy
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

IN: Blake Acres, Matthew Kennedy, Sam Walsh
OUT: Sam Docherty (knee), Jack Carroll, Josh Honey, Lochie O'Brien

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernLachie Cowan
Centreline:Adam CerraPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Blake AcresCorey DurdinMatthew Kennedy
Marc Pittonet
Emergencies:Jack CarrollJosh HoneyLochie O'Brien
Lachie Plowman

Last edited:
Who is the skinny older guy?
Looks like Klomp on far right and Ben Nelson on far left but the other guy I cannot identify.
The mystery man is former Sturt captain and Magarey Medallist Greg Whittlesea. Managed a handful of games at Hawthorn.

1681303265156.png

Yep! This is just about full strength. At best, I guess it’d be:
OUT:
Cowan, Newman
IN:
Doc, Williams/Marchbank

However, Newman has been very good this year. I’m really excited for the weekend, feels like forever since we’ve had a near full strength side.
I'd make room for Cuningham as well.

The mystery man is former Sturt captain and Magarey Medallist Greg Whittlesea. Managed a handful of games at Hawthorn.

View attachment 1658235
Thanks. Good detective work.
I assumed it would be all Sturt footballers that spent some time at Carlton but all I could find was a Ben Judd and he actually never came here. Strange so few from Sturt overall.

I assumed it would be all Sturt footballers that spent some time at Carlton but all I could find was a Ben Judd and he actually never came here. Strange so few from Sturt overall.
I was a mad Sturt fan as a kid, grew up just around the corner from Unley Oval and would watch them train most nights through the 70s and 80s. Now my daughter lives across the road and I was planning to take my grandson over in a pram to indoctrinate him in all things Carlton and Sturt but the poor kid has covid. Gotta get in early, the other grandparents are Crows supporters.
edit
Greg Bentley is another ex Sturt (and Power) player to have worn the Navy Blue

I was a mad Sturt fan as a kid, grew up just around the corner from Unley Oval and would watch them train most nights through the 70s and 80s. Now my daughter lives across the road and I was planning to take my grandson over in a pram to indoctrinate him in all things Carlton and Sturt but the poor kid has covid. Gotta get in early, the other grandparents are Crows supporters.
Sorry to hear.
How your grandson going?
I have co-vid right now and never had it until now so hoping to be well within a few days.

Sorry to hear.
How your grandson going?
I have co-vid right now and never had it until now so hoping to be well within a few days.
Is this timeshare on a VCR or something?

Sorry to intrude but Peter Motley most likely would have been the greatest of the lot but the car accident changed everything. As a big Sturt fan for many years, he was an unbeliebable talent that you guys unfortunately never got to experience.

Yep! This is just about full strength. At best, I guess it’d be:
OUT:
Cowan, Newman
IN:
Doc, Williams/Marchbank

However, Newman has been very good this year. I’m really excited for the weekend, feels like forever since we’ve had a near full strength side.
We’re playing tomorrow night.

Sorry to intrude but Peter Motley most likely would have been the greatest of the lot but the car accident changed everything. As a big Sturt fan for many years, he was an unbeliebable talent that you guys unfortunately never got to experience.
Not sure who would’ve been the greatest but getting Sticks, Bradley and Motley was a great trifecta, each bringing something special. Probably the best 3 recruits in one season for the club.

I remember Kernahan kicking 10 goals in a SA v Vic state game, I think the year before he came to Carlton. Couldn’t wait to see him in a Carlton jumper. Bradley was a just a running machine with beautiful kicking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favorite Carlton player when he came over in 86, my thoughts as well considering how good Sticks and Braddles were I’ve always said to mates back then and still now when we catch up, he was the most talented footballer of the three, he could have been anything…

Last edited:
My favorite Carlton player when he come over in 86, my thoughts as well considering how good Sticks and Braddles were I’ve always said to mates back then and still now when we catch up, he was the most talented footballer of the three, he could have been anything…
Yeah, I thought in the few games he played in the start of season before the car accident he was on his way to be our right footed version of a Kenny Hunter for the next decade.

Sorry to hear.
How your grandson going?
Thanks FF. Hope you get over yours quickly. He's not too bad, just a little grizzly and slight cough. Caught it off his old man...Crows supporter

I was a tad concerned about this game, still am. But with our "in's" we probably have the best mid field we have put on the park in years. If they can get on top and get first use of the ball we should do ok, we really need to limit their inside 50's, this is where they could do some real damage. Stop or severely limit the supply to their forwards whilst giving our guys every opportunity to score.
The mid field is the key area where we need to really step up and put them to the sword.

I wouldn't be surprised if we surprise and belt them. Crows are getting talked up massively this week. Ultimately they have beaten an average Fremantle at home and Port which is always a 50/50 game. Lost to Richmond and GWS who probably aren't finals bound.

If you look at their team there are still some very average players there. Forward line is obviously dangerous but our defence has held up well so far. If we win the midfield battle it will make them less relevant.

My favorite Carlton player when he come over in 86, my thoughts as well considering how good Sticks and Braddles were I’ve always said to mates back then and still now when we catch up, he was the most talented footballer of the three, he could have been anything…
Yep..and that was a big call considering how good bradley and sticks were..but many here in SA would have shared the thought. Motley looked a true generational talent

Our 22 for this game vs the last two times we played them:

Round 8, 2022 (116-68)

Carlton
Out: Boyd, Carroll, Docherty, Martin, Newnes, O'Brien, Owies, Williams
In: Motlop, McGovern, Acres, Hollands, Cowan, Pittonet, Hewett, E Curnow

Round 20, 2022 (59-84)

Carlton
Out: O'Brien, Docherty, Plowman, Setterfield, Owies, Cottrell
In: Silvagni, Acres, Hollands, Cowan, Hewett, E Curnow,

Yeah, I thought in the few games he played in the start of season before the car accident he was on his way to be our right footed version of a Kenny Hunter for the next decade.
Yes he did, Meldrum was as well…
Had it all as a player, in the air on the ground defending attacking marking ball use courage footyIQ endurance decision- making..
He looked as though had the ability to play almost anywhere, fair chance he could have played wing and midfield as his career flourished…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back