Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Gov deserves to be dropped before Young surely

Based on the Pies game yes. I even called for it too during the week.

But based on the last 3 games, Young has been worse...

Think about it, against the Lions, Young gets subbed off after that bs handpass. Against the Dogs he let Lobb off the hook to start the 3rd quarter among a myriad of other mistakes... then there's the Pies game where he was terrible again.

I think Gov is on his very last chance this week, especially with Marchbank finally off the injury list.

Think selections are wise this week in a must win game. Swans have plenty of talented running smalls.

Doc, Saad, Boyd, Gov & Kemp will give us the opportunity from defence for rebound speed into the forward line. We have been stagnant coming out of there lately.

We all know the level that Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra & Kennedy can play. On a small SCG ground we need these boys back playing with confidence and aggression. We saw how the Swans mids got bullied by the Cats in their past 2 games. Let's back our strength in. Not the week to bring in Dow regardless.

De Koning up forward with speed and height can present as another option and can at least bring the ball down to our smalls who lack competitiveness in the air. He will also improve opportunities for our midfield bulls when rucking.

Looking forward to this one. Go Blues!!!!!!

If you saw the size of my nose,you'd beg to differ.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
euHbXzSBzYCG.gif

Dow may come in and get 20 Vs Hewitts 25 but I am sure he is going to drive the ball forward at least.

Now, I want to see him get a chance but given Paddy's issues with disposal this isn't a great point. What good is driving the ball forward when it comes back at pace and the opposition add scoreboard pressure?

Seen enough players slam the ball to boot mindlessly in the current team

Pretty obvious
There have been at least two different reasons put forward already ... so maybe it's not so obvious.
I just can't understand why Fogarty has been selected as an emergency before him. There's no doubt that Dow has played way better and more consistently in the reserves than him.

If you believe in the "his papers have been stamped" theory, do you know why? Are they only his papers that have been stamped? Is he such a poor player that he deserves his (and only his) papers stamped way in advance?

Maybe he just doesn't get on with coaches or other players in the club? Maybe it would cost the club too much as per his contract to play him? There may be a perfectly valid reason why he's being ignored, I just wish I knew what it is. This has been going on for a long time and curiosity has gotten the better of me, that's all.
I wish one of our ITK's would come forward and enlighten us.

Posters wouldn't be screaming for his inclusion if he wasn't 'knocking the door down' and if our midfield was performing. But the minute both are happening and the guy is not putting a foot wrong - selection integrity comes into a huge discussion point. Unlike some who don't like the guy, others just want a fair go for people busting a gut. Works the other way as well.

None of the 'screaming posters' bother to offer up who Dow should replace though do they? The truth is, for better or worse, and I think better for the longer term - Voss wants all his mids to be able to play in multiple positions - the only mid who doesn't rotate forward or back or wing is Cripps. Dow is up against Cripps as an extractor only....most top teams have 6-8 midfield rotations up their sleeves - Carlton has to get there and to get there the mids have to be able to play multiple positions ...

Could Dow do a better job than the other blokes rotations - that is the real question if people want him to be played ahead of Cripps I think that they are kidding themselves or just being hyperbolic for the fun of it - on here.

Based on the Pies game yes. I even called for it too during the week.

But based on the last 3 games, Young has been worse...

Think about it, against the Lions, Young gets subbed off after that bs handpass. Against the Dogs he let Lobb off the hook to start the 3rd quarter among a myriad of other mistakes... then there's the Pies game where he was terrible again.

I think Gov is on his very last chance this week, especially with Marchbank finally off the injury list.
Gov never to darken the doorstep is my sage advice to CFC. Cut out the canker.
Lewis Young may be limited, but he tries. Gov has talent, but rarely does.

Paddy Dow out the front of the team bus going to the airport

IMG_6518.gif

Gov never to darken the doorstep is my sage advice to CFC. Cut out the canker.
Lewis Young may be limited, and not a but he tries. Gov has talent, but rarely does.
IMO - both McGovern and Young would be out if Durdin was actually fit and playing in food form like he was...

McGovern’s not a mid.
As I said above you can paint it however you want and I’d love Dow to come into the ones and kill it. But it ain’t gonna happen. He doesn’t start in front of our current midfield. He’s not quick he offers no difference to what’s there as far as our inside goes and is more limited then them going back the other way. We can all look at it emotionally but if you look at it realistically that’s what it is.

Govs a kpd who avoids physical contact.

Still gets to play so it's a stretch saying the MC even watch the seniors let alone VFL.

Slow and poor defensively? That's our teams mo at the moment so I don't see how that stops Dow getting a game. Seems like bias is the only reason he can't get a look in.

If not being AFL standard was the reason you'd drop 80% of the team at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Govs a kpd who avoids physical contact.

Still gets to play so it's a stretch saying the MC even watch the seniors let alone VFL.

Slow and poor defensively? That's our teams mo at the moment so I don't see how that stops Dow getting a game. Seems like bias is the only reason he can't get a look in.

If not being AFL standard was the reason you'd drop 80% of the team at the moment.
McGovern is one of the hardest at it players on the list- last week he had a couple of poor mements- who knows why... he also laid a couple of very hard tackles as well...it is his non-intercept and lack of run and kick form that bothers me more than his out of character one armed tackle attempts.

Contract and the payout may have something to do with it.

Currently we are paying Dow and he has no chance of playing 1s

If we delist him

We will still be paying him with no chance of playing 1s

The only upside would be freeing up a lost spot for the MSD.

Whether we cut him now or at the end of the year, the cost is the same.

None of the 'screaming posters' bother to offer up who Dow should replace though do they? The truth is, for better or worse, and I think better for the longer term - Voss wants all his mids to be able to play in multiple positions - the only mid who doesn't rotate forward or back or wing is Cripps. Dow is up against Cripps as an extractor only....most top teams have 6-8 midfield rotations up their sleeves - Carlton has to get there and to get there the mids have to be able to play multiple positions ...

Could Dow do a better job than the other blokes rotations - that is the real question if people want him to be played ahead of Cripps I think that they are kidding themselves or just being hyperbolic for the fun of it - on here.
See this is just downright incorrect and bias. Hewett and Ed don't play other positions. They have both been tried and found out elsewhere, which is something most ignore. Dow can play half forward for instance, if given the opportunity, as he has more carry and run than both the other 2. I really didn't want to get into these discussions, but the narrative that keeps getting pushed about the guy being a one position player, where others aren't, is just false. So untrue. Good luck to Dow next year and like Setters and Stock, I'm sure he'll be fine. We on the other hand will keep coming up short with full of excuses......

See this is just downright incorrect and bias. Hewett and Ed don't play other positions. They have both been tried and found out elsewhere, which is something most ignore. Dow can play half forward for instance, if given the opportunity, as he has more carry and run than both the other 2. I really didn't want to get into these discussions, but the narrative that keeps getting pushed about the guy being a one position player, where others aren't, is just false. So untrue. Good luck to Dow next year and like Setters and Stock, I'm sure he'll be fine. We on the other hand will keep coming up short with full of excuses......

Hewett is a much better option outside of the centre than Dow.

Where do Kennedy or Hewitt rotate to successfully?

Cripps hasn’t extracted the ball out the middle for 5 weeks, Kennedy is the only one looking likely.

Our mids snap it out of the middle straight up in the air. if Dow is able to actually get the ball and run out of the middle and kick it forward even if it doesn’t hit a target it is likely to be a ground ball and a chance to lock it in.

Richmond didn’t have elite kicks and
It worked for them because they moved it quickly.

Ed or Hewitt! The old bloke who is slow as a wet week & can barely tag anymore- not that tagging helps us anyway. Or the slow horribly out of form bloke who does nothing with the ball.
We know exactly who he could & should replace!
U rest Crippa/Kennedy forward - not sure if you’ve noticed but Crippa is ******* huge & would upset a defence as u have to cover him & Kennedy is a great mark & kick for goal. Both have also done this very well in the past.
This isn’t about who he replaces it’s about Voss & his stupid ******* “system” he wants it slow - one thing Dow isn’t is slow & defensive with his disposal, he’s the opposite of the system hence he doesn’t even get named emergency.

Dow only plays once Voss abandons his game plan- the one that’s currently losing games, boring AF to watch & bleeding the confidence out of the players!
It’s no coincidence that those who back Dows non selection are also the most ardent “back the coach, club & the system supporters” according to a lot of them there’s nothing wrong with the system/game plan it’s just the players can’t execute.
The system is flawed, we are going backwards, some of us want to see change before this season is written off too.
Let’s see how much damage this does to the club when u stubbornly stick to a losing formula.

I know we will stretch the Swans without their key backs but I think the omission of Young is the strange one this week.
It's like we've voluntarily put ourselves into the same position they're in.

Sydney have named Buddy (199), McLean (197) up forward plus one of the two ruckmen McAndrew (209) and Hickey (202) will go down there as well.
Down back we've got Weitering (196), Kemp (193) and McGovern (191).

Other than that I like the changes.
JSOS and Ed needed a spell. TDK and Kemp should be playing.

Dow's papers are stamped. I agree he should have been given an opportunity by now but it's clearly not going to happen so we'll push on with the rest of the list.

it’s just the players can’t execute.
Will continue to love dearly anyone who thinks this is the root cause of the issue. It's so shallow.... A result. C'mon peoples you focus on processes not results.

Really would like to hear more about how we got back to fundamentals at training. Like the pies did when Mcrae took over. Like Clarkson always preached way back and like the top NFL basketball coaches etc all say. Gotta stay on top of fundamentals. It's handbook stuff.

I'm keen for this. Love seeing Kemp back in. Team looks way more dynamically mobile with Ed and Young out. TDK hopefully in with a point to prove and crashes some big packs and lays some bone rattling blocks around the contest. Really would like to see him play angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back