AFLs love affair with Gambling. Is the game compromised?

Remove this Banner Ad

In that case, they need to change the arrangement, to allay charges of vested interests leading to conflict of interest.

But, no, not for one moment do I believe that the AFL has any preferred winner, or that any umpire has gone out with a preferred winner in mind.

But they can’t avoid the perception …

Anyone who watched last nights game would assume that the bulldogs were being helped!!!

Commentators no longer critics umpires…
The AFL punishes players with the dissent rule.
…. Next is banning booing umpires

Umpires decision doesn't go my way -> Game is rigged and I'll start a conspiracy theory to prove.
Umpires decision goes my way -> Nothing to see, move along
An even more common theme…

If an opinion shared that doesn’t coincide with my beliefs > I’ll ridicule it as a conspiracy theory.
If it aligns with my beliefs > nothing to see, fair play, let’s discuss.

Anyone who thinks there wasnt an effort to get the Dogs up last night is kidding themselves regardless of the motive.

The Dogs burst out of the blocks and kick 3.2, Gold Coast respond and cut the margin to a few points all the while on the wrong end of a 0-9 free count.
GC hit the front and with 90 seconds to go till half time...HALF TIME, still havent received 1 free kick.
But thats not the most obvious part, the blatently obvious part is the lack of frees paid either way in the 2nd half of the 2nd qtr, couldnt continue blowing out the 0-9 count to the Dogs, couldnt give any to GC as they'd pulled a 3 goal lead, so nothing gets paid, even the obvious ones to the Dogs and then finally, facing an unheard of 0 free kick count to one team at half time, they clearly get the message to fix that anomoly, pay 2 to GC in the final 90 seconds, GC kick a goal and the lead is stretched to 22pts at the half, a necessary evil im sure.

Then it gets real interesting, they come out after half time and resume a normally umpired game which see's the Dogs still awarded some frees but GC a few more to make it look less obvious.
Then the last qtr comes around, Dogs again get the rub, extend their free kick count and with minutes to go get some very dubious adjudication to bring them within a goal whilst blatently obvious frees to GC go unpaid over and over again.

So its not just the last few decisions in the last few minutes, its the biased umpiring in the first half that led to the 9-0 count, the lack of obvious calls when they'd gone too hard early for the Dogs, the 2 free kicks paid to avoid the optics of the alternative late in the 2nd, the sudden evenly umpired 3rd qtr followed by another first half performance to the Dogs in the 4th to try and get them up.

Is it match fixing? No doubt an attempt, is it for money? I dont think so, I think its a case of needing a win for the Vic fans who until that point we're winless for the weekend.
Essendon would provide some relief but dont kid yourselves, Port will get shafted this afternoon to keep the locals happy today, watch the count it'll be obvious again.

Cue the lols, conspiracy tin foil, vicbias hashtags, whatever you like, the fact remains, in a cold wet shithole of a town the only thing you have left is the footy and you cant handle losing at it.

Are you saying that match fixing occurs but there is no money involved?

I now actively look at free kick counts during a match, and surprise surprise, the team leading the free kicks is usually leading points scored as well. I don't buy into the belief that the first player to the ball usually wins the free kick. Does that mean the Bulldogs are always first to the ball?!

When the match has been ultimately decided, the umps will then give afew charity free kicks in an attempt to even out the ledger somewhat.
Which is precisely what happened yesterday because after Humphrey sealed it it went from 21 to 10 to 22 to 13 with a couple of late rubbish ones.

The umpiring is better than it was Mid 10's during that time I saw some very questionable umpiring that decided games and it happened quite often.

I'm not sure if AFL are in cahoots with gambling agencies to get desired results, what I do know the AFL want desired match ups especially the top 8, during Andrew Demetriou's time he openly said during a result during the finals when Port beat Magpies that he was not happy with the result as there was already Adelaide in the finals and obviously Collingwood being a huge revenue club it wasn't ideal for them to get knocked out, I remember that game the umpires tried their hardest to get collingwood over the line.

Anyone who watched the GC v Dogs game last night witness an umpiring performance so biased towards the Dogs, that questions need to be asked.

The disturbing thing is that commentators dont comment on bad decisions anymore…

There seems to be preferred results in alot of games where one side seems to get the better of the umpiring.

And you can’t comment about it or you’ll get fined!!!

Last month the AFL admitted getting a cut from the profits from gambling!!!!
So the more the sportsbet companies win the more the AFL WIN!!!

The game has been compromised and there are preferred results the AFL wants, to boost profits…..

great call

I have been wondering the same thing after watching a number of games, whether there is a motivation in generating a result.

whether there is corruption or not, the AFL need to consider the games integrity. To maintain integrity and public confidence, the AFL not only needs to deal with actual conflicts but also perceived conflicts.

Unfortunately AFL house does not have the integrity nor the skills to identify the issue and deal with it.

I've seen Josh Jenkins do betting updates. Doesn't he have some role at the Geelong club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly obvious the AFL/Gambling companies are desperate to get the Tigers up today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope, the AFL realised the blatant attempt at cheating for the dogs match so the tigers vs port match was anticlimactic. If anything we got a decent ride. Ken's call out of the umpires earlier this season has done the trick.

Ummm, OK.

I think it's pretty clear that we are discussing whether the AFL are using umpires to influence games in order to increase the profits for betting companies since the AFL gets a cut as part of their sponsorship not whether it's possible for a rogue umpire to reveal some brownlow votes to his friends. That could happen even if the AFL wasn't being sponsored by betting companies.

Too many gambling ads. Can guarantee you gambling has ruined 1000x more lives than sling tackles, bumps and high tackles combined. JOM gets a week for the most inoccuos tackle, but we cut to former greats of the game promoting all sorts of stupid exotic bets.

Yes. It would be naive to think it isn't compromised when the league is in bed with the bookies. Money corrupts everything and the AFL is no exception.

Gambling is cancer and needs to be eradicated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back