Analysis AFL admits it recieves a cut of gambling turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. Everyone looks for the direct link for conflicts, but the networks' ability to sell advertising space to gambling companies I would think is a very significant slice of the pie they need to recoup in the cost outlay of securing the broadcasting rights.

The AFL does their part by creating a schedule to maximize viewership and gambling does their part by using TV to create new points of interest in a game beyond the actual contest on the field.

I have mates who turn on (and off games) subject to whether their multi is alive or not. They have no interest in the game's outcome other than margin spread.

that's sad.

If you listen carefully, Gil says they also receive a % of profit from certain products … meaning if certain results happen they make more money.,,,

That’s corruption …. That’s why we have so many grey areas in the way the game is umpired.

I recall reading a book about the Melbourne underworld figures from underbelly and a couple of dodgy characters who got in early and made vast fortunes from online gambling sites.
What Bob Hawke, Fevola, Underbelly gangsters and Betr have in common
To think people like this have the ear of those in control of the afl is sobering. Really any close association between the afl and gambling is highly suspect and brings into question their motives, honesty and fairness. If there wasn’t match fixing, corrupted officials etc it would be surprising.
Just check out demetrious illustrious post footy career for an example

If you listen carefully, Gil says they also receive a % of profit from certain products … meaning if certain results happen they make more money.,,,

That’s corruption …. That’s why we have so many grey areas in the way the game is umpired.

I've seen Grand Finals where the AFL executive are clearly not very happy about the winner. One in particular Gill looked as though someone just told him he's lost his entire family in a house fire. No doubt in my mind they have teams they want to win.

I've seen Grand Finals where the AFL executive are clearly not very happy about the winner. One in particular Gill looked as though someone just told him he's lost his entire family in a house fire. No doubt in my mind they have teams they want to win.

The evidence is how games are umpired …

The evidence is how games are umpired …
Whereas I refuse to resort to saying umpires cost my team a win or loss, players make far more errors than umpires do, I'll just say I've seen enough footy over the years where umpires clearly give some teams the benefit of 50/50 decisions. I'm not talking about my own team here, just footy in general. I continually find myself wondering why one team got a free for an identical incident missed down the other end.

Half of Ch7 revenue from broadcasting games is selling ads to gambling companies.

Totals to around $150M a year in direct/indirect AFL revenue.

It will never change.

Should we all back Carlton for the flag then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The different products are things like finals. They get a higher % of the takings for different games.

Four Corners did an investigation into this. I would recommend watching that, very eye opening.

At least ban international groups from holding gambling licenses: surely that’s an easy sell.

Betting agencies should be required to be minimum 95% Australian owned.

At least then Australian gamblers aren’t foolishly funnelling their money offshore.

At least ban international groups from holding gambling licenses: surely that’s an easy sell.

Betting agencies should be required to be minimum 95% Australian owned.

At least then Australian gamblers aren’t foolishly funnelling their money offshore.

Ban advertising on C, G and PG rated shows and at times when alcohol ads are banned.

Also ban any discussions and promotions of odds during these times.

We totally banned smoking ads, we restrict alcohol ads, its simple to do the same for gambling.

The Fed Govt have to stand up but are too gutless.

Ban advertising on C, G and PG rated shows and at times when alcohol ads are banned.

Also ban any discussions and promotions of odds during these times.

We totally banned smoking ads, we restrict alcohol ads, its simple to do the same for gambling.

The Fed Govt have to stand up but are too gutless.

Of course the ads should be banned, but that will actually benefit the incumbents who are already on people’s phones, have their email addresses, send push notifications etc.

My understanding is that low-key the big players are not mad at the idea of banning ads, as it stops them from having to compete against each other with sign up bonuses and other margin eating promotions.

Also, seemingly there are too many entrenched interests to ban the ads, so I’m proposing a more politically possible first step, and will have to continue to unwillingly brainwash my 4 year old by having to explain what the numbers mean.

Of course the ads should be banned, but that will actually benefit the incumbents who are already on people’s phones, have their email addresses, send push notifications etc.

My understanding is that low-key the big players are not mad at the idea of banning ads, as it stops them from having to compete against each other with sign up bonuses and other margin eating promotions.

Also, seemingly there are too many entrenched interests to ban the ads, so I’m proposing a more politically possible first step, and will have to continue to unwillingly brainwash my 4 year old by having to explain what the numbers mean.

Banning the ads will reduce the new number of kids turning to it.

Double the taxes too, and outlaw overseas-only interests too.

Hardly anyone smokes these days.

Huge money is bet on AFL. Its not just about the ultimate result but stats, first goal etc etc.

We are seeing way too many umpiring mistakes that are having a clear outcome on betting results. The AFL does not seem to really care, where is the goal line technoolgy? Clearly based on last night its inadequate. We were told by the AFL lip service, the media, that all goals are reviewed by the 'Arc' but now they tell us that is not the case cos it was not referred.

I have no confidence in the AFL to fix the problems so maybe its time external parties got involved to protect the integrity of the game? Betting is big money, what we are seeing on a weekly basis is simply just not good enough.

I can guarantee you that if a review was announced the media would change their tune, betting advertising is their biggest revenue raiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back