Toast Round 18 = Collingwood 113-67 Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

The big fella did really well in the ruck today. Checkers is already gonna be squeezing Frampton out of the side next week, so I'm not sure how Cameron comes back into the side.

Really happy McStay is finally back in the side. He's been judged too harshly too early by some. He's barely played a handful of games at a new club. Luke Jackson was terrible in his first 4 or 5 games for Freo, but he's doing just fine now. It takes a little while for things to click. I had my eye on McStay at Brisbane for a while. I really like the way he goes about it. I'm confident he'll eventually be an important cog in our side. You could argue he already is!

Markov is firmly cemented in the best 23 now. I'll never tell him to farkov again!

I was harsh on Elliott earlier in the season, but he's firing on all cylinders now. Been great the last month.

We're motoring along very nicely at the moment. Just about at full strength.

One electrifying quarter but a pretty poor second half. No injuries is a bonus. Managing Mitchell and Pendles is helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you look at our draw for the rest of the season we’ve got some pretty tough games coming up.Port away,Carlton,Geelong,Lions at Marvel,then Essendon in the final round.I’d say our draw is harder than any other team in the top four.

Isn’t Hawthorn in there somewhere too?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The pressure is mounting on some players as we draw closer to the finals. It must be a stressful situation for the players who know they are on the fringes and no certainties for September if we are healthy. AJ, Frampton. Great for the club though. It keeps everyone honest

VP to Mr Park:

We seem to have another gear, a lever that we adjust, and then we go bang! We are ballistic for 20-25 minutes a game. Its enough to rip the heart out of the opposition, but we cant do it for four quarters. We then coast to victory, but it can get choppy.

Mr Park to VP:

The rest of the competition are relieved that you can’t do it for four quarters. You’d be kicking 40 goals a week.

VP:

Pickleball I Cant Hear You GIF by APP

That was such a boring second half.
We just fight the fight longer than the others.

Got owned in the middle in the first. Just couldn’t get our hands on it.
Knuckles down and went ballistic.

Spent a fair bit of my time watching McStay off the ball. Wanted to see how he went.

Apart from one play where he didn’t read it early enough and was outmarked down the line, I was impressed by his willingness to compete and get to the contest.

Multiple times he blocked, directed and set up the big man structure down the line. Forced it to ground when out positioned.
A good return from him in the way he played off the ball.

Ps. Maynard needs to learn when to go and when to stay. 50pts up and he barrels into a contest and copped a knock on the hip. But that defensive play on the wing was one of the best individual defensive plays I’ve seen in a long time!

Put the cue in the rack after half time and kept them at arm's length.
Pendles and Titch got a bit of rest to get them ready for the big game next week.
At this stage we just need to keep banking wins.
Going in for the kill is for finals.

The pressure is mounting on some players as we draw closer to the finals. It must be a stressful situation for the players who know they are on the fringes and no certainties for September if we are healthy. AJ, Frampton. Great for the club though. It keeps everyone honest
Strange timing.

He was our second best forward today, why the need for this?

I understand why we take the foot off to preserve energy etc. It's ******* frustrating to watch though.

Today we had to make do with 1 quarter of sublime football. The cue was in the rack in the 2nd half and I understand the reasoning.

Especially in the last quarter. It was minute 16 when I first saw N.Daicos & JDG in the centre square together to contest a bounce.

Lipinski, Crisp, & T.Mitchell got some midfield runtime.

Many have observed about T.Adams' gradual decline but he was awesome in the first half.

Nice to see Sidebum & Maynard return. Bruzzy's shoulder isn't right. My guess is that he's going in for repair at the end of the season.

McStay went very well given his lack of gametime. I can see why Fly considers him important.

EDIT: Was cold AF but we still got 60K at the G. Collingwood is special.

Today we had to make do with 1 quarter of sublime football. The cue was in the rack in the 2nd half and I understand the reasoning.

Especially in the last quarter. It was minute 16 when I first saw N.Daicos & JDG in the centre square together to contest a bounce.

Lipinski, Crisp, & T.Mitchell got some midfield runtime.

Many have observed about T.Adams' gradual decline but he was awesome in the first half.

Nice to see Sidebum & Maynard return. Bruzzy's shoulder isn't right. My guess is that he's going in for repair at the end of the season.

McStay went very well given his lack of gametime. I can see why Fly considers him important.

EDIT: Was cold AF but we still got 60K at the G. Collingwood is special.
This post is almost as good as pineapple on pizza, brilliant 😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VP to Mr Park:

We seem to have another gear, a lever that we adjust, and then we go bang! We are ballistic for 20-25 minutes a game. Its enough to rip the heart out of the opposition, but we cant do it for four quarters. We then coast to victory, but it can get choppy.

Mr Park to VP:

The rest of the competition are relieved that you can’t do it for four quarters. You’d be kicking 40 goals a week.

VP:

Pickleball I Cant Hear You GIF by APP
I truly think we will go out and do that in finals.

We must time our run for home and hopefully reel them in commandingly when we do so.

No one can beat us when we're in that gear.

2nd quarter (and maynards noted attacks on the ball) aside, game just lacked intensity for large periods of time ... loathe to use the 'bruise free' label as im sure players will be sore, but it did have that feel

we also seem locked into a pattern of winning where a number of players each game have quiet ones ... and that list of players changes each week .... if macraes coaching tenure has taught me anything its not to trust my own eye when judging individual performances .... obviously players are performing to coaches demands - but understanding how some are is beyond my comprehension at times

Last edited:
He's been great for us but considering how damaging he is with the footy, Bobby really needs to find away to get his hand on the ball more. 3 possessions for a whole game of footy is not getting enough value from him. Even just a few cheapies to get him in the game because his kicking is so good it's sometimes worth double.

That was such a boring second half.
We just fight the fight longer than the others.

Got owned in the middle in the first. Just couldn’t get our hands on it.
Knuckles down and went ballistic.

Spent a fair bit of my time watching McStay off the ball. Wanted to see how he went.

Apart from one play where he didn’t read it early enough and was outmarked down the line, I was impressed by his willingness to compete and get to the contest.

Multiple times he blocked, directed and set up the big man structure down the line. Forced it to ground when out positioned.
A good return from him in the way he played off the ball.

Ps. Maynard needs to learn when to go and when to stay. 50pts up and he barrels into a contest and copped a knock on the hip. But that defensive play on the wing was one of the best individual defensive plays I’ve seen in a long time!
I think he just needs to know when to stay - because he is always going!

He's been great for us but considering how damaging he is with the footy, Bobby really needs to find away to get his hand on the ball more. 3 possessions for a whole game of footy is not getting enough value from him. Even just a few cheapies to get him in the game because his kicking is so good it's sometimes worth double.
I think he does better when he pushes up the field and works back, same with Beau. Didn't seem to be doing much of that

Do the coaches need to push him up to half forward wing when he's not getting his hands on it? Might just be the small forward life 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nice win. Scintillating second quarter then put the cue in the rack for the second half.
Good to see the managing of Pendles. Game was safe so 10 minutes into the 3rd brought in Mitchell.
Nick and Jordy in the middle. That is going to be special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back