#6 Brodie Grundy – Melbourne legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible Horrible selection. Everyone except for Goody could see this happening. Choosing Brown in the wet in a tight loss, and Grundy tonight in a tight loss, shows that selections can be very very costly in the scheme of a season. We win both those games, we finished 2nd.
I actually thought Grundy started OK. But as the game wore on he got less and less effective. I can’t even recall seeing Grundy playing as a forward in the second half. Not sure if that’s because he didn’t, or he was a forward but was virtually unsighted.

It’s easy to say it’s easy in hindsight, but the slippery conditions means in foresight a smaller forward line with Spargo playing would’ve made more sense.

I actually thought Grundy started OK. But as the game wore on he got less and less effective. I can’t even recall seeing Grundy playing as a forward in the second half. Not sure if that’s because he didn’t, or he was a forward but was virtually unsighted.

It’s easy to say it’s easy in hindsight, but the slippery conditions means in foresight a smaller forward line with Spargo playing would’ve made more sense.
Spargo would have been terrible in that game it was way too contested. We needed Smith forward and Tomlinson back to release May or Lever

How cringe-y was the 'tap brothers' meme's that were coming out in pre-season. I said at the time that I didn't think it would work. This has given me the confidence to be more outspoken in my opinions. lol

I rate your posts Danster.

Step Brothers Ryan GIF

Spargo would have been terrible in that game it was way too contested. We needed Smith forward and Tomlinson back to release May or Lever

Spargo may have been rubbish, but running a 202cm forward who isn’t really a forward in slippery conditions wasn’t smart.

Spargo never wins much contested ball but his finishing from limited opportunities might have been handy. More handy than whatever Grundy was likely to do in conditions not suited for a big player.

Goody could probably see it happening anyway but now it’s certain and that Grundy is no more.

I don’t think anyone would have picked the Gawn Grundy combo being a failure pre-season
Not sure if sarcasm but a lot of people on this board did. Given Max was poor forward when we tried to give Jackson more ruck time, and Grundy has never played as a forward nor been a good contested mark it seemed pretty obvious despite some media hype. Found it a completely baffling move and it has played out more or less exactly as expected.

Goody could probably see it happening anyway but now it’s certain and that Grundy is no more.

I don’t think anyone would have picked the Gawn Grundy combo being a failure pre-season

Plenty of people questioned it. We crossed our fingers that it'd somehow defy logic to work, but it hasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All we did was damage potential trade value last night, probably forces us to pay 200-300k for the next 4 years. Say bye bye to any chance of a second round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All we did was damage potential trade value last night, probably forces us to pay 200-300k for the next 4 years. Say bye bye to any chance of a second round pick.
Send him off for a future fourth for all I care. Desperately need to clear out the dead weight talls on our list.

Brodie Grundy is basically fine if you don’t have an elite ruckman. Just a donkey that competes at the stoppages. The drawback with him is his massive wage bill - Port would have no net gain with him in over Lycett, Teakle, Hayes or any somewhat competent state league ruckman imv.

Brodie Grundy is basically fine if you don’t have an elite ruckman. Just a donkey that competes at the stoppages. The drawback with him is his massive wage bill - Port would have no net gain with him in over Lycett, Teakle, Hayes or any somewhat competent state league ruckman imv.

Nah he’s way better than Lycett at least, they’ve dropped that guy for half of the last two seasons.

$1 million and a second round pick seems a high price to pay on a failed gamble that a hypothetical bookie would’ve given Goodwin long odds on.

Stubborn, desperate, dumb decision making by the coach. And now costly.

Grundy has struggled for a game at two consecutive clubs. Dunno that he’s way better than Lycett.
He didn't struggle for a game at Collingwood, he was injured and came back through one game at VFL level last year. He would still be their #1 ruck if it weren't for the money.

Lycett is cooked. Can't move. Baby, bathwater etc.

His salary is not a problem for Port; where Lycett is on $650K and is out of contract.
The issue is does Grundy wish to return to Adeliade.

My money is on the Pies taking him back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back