#6 Brodie Grundy – Melbourne legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the media narrative.

Grundy is hot property with three suitors.

But Melbourne will need to pay some of his salary and accept a pick around 30.

Something about Melbourne owing it to Grundy… Grundy has a choice, keep the money and risk playing VFL as a backup ruck at Melbourne, or give up some money to facilitate a trade so he can play first ruck elsewhere.

I don’t think Melbourne will go full Dodoro and demand unreasonable things and keep Grundy if Grundy wants out, but Melbourne aren’t going to get bent over on draft picks and salary cap space just to be nice guys.

It’s a pretty simple scenario from our perspective. If Cats, Port, Swans and maybe others are serious, plonk your best offer on the table. Best draft pick / money deal gets the player.

Only need more than one genuine buyer at auction to put you in box seat.

It’s a pretty simple scenario from our perspective. If Cats, Port, Swans and maybe others are serious, plonk your best offer on the table. Best draft pick / money deal gets the player.

Only need more than one buyer at auction to put you in box seat.
Not that simple. Grundy still has to agree to go there. But the more clubs involved the better.

Not that simple. Grundy still has to agree to go there. But the more clubs involved the better.
This is true, but Grundy has to weigh up cash, lifestyle/location, quality of destination team and being the #1 ruck. He can’t have it all, he will need to compromise somewhere if he wants to be #1 ruck.

And then where we wants to go will need to give up something at least reasonably attractive to Melbourne.

Melbourne gave us pick 27? And we paying 250k per year ?

Can't see you getting anyrhing lower than that from Sydney?
That pick got pushed back to 30 and you traded it to Carlton for their 2nd rounder this year. Both of Sydney's 2nds are below that so yeah I think we might.

Either way not getting much for him like we didn't
Don't think anyone expects to. Doesn't bother me if he's off our books. Breaking even about as good as we could have hoped for.

Grundy was under an injury cloud the season he was being shopped around by the Pies.
His time with us has shown he is reliable for the right role.

He developed his season into a strong mid role, but Gawn wasn't able to become a formidable forward for us.

Gawn is the superior ruck, in the air and at ground level.

Grundy will be a strong recruit for the Swans developing on-ball brigade; as the No1 ruck.

Poor form from Brodie I think, already selected Sydney as his destination before our campaign was even over. Hard to select a guy to play who already has one foot out the door.

Poor form from Brodie I think, already selected Sydney as his destination before our campaign was even over. Hard to select a guy to play who already has one foot out the door.
Yeah we probably learnt our lesson the year before playing Dogga knowing he was out the door. I don't mind that. If you know they're leaving then f* 'em

The Swans are desperate for a ruckman so I can easily see us getting their first rounder (pick 11), which we’ll then flick to the Dogs for one of Tim English or Aaron Naughton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to him. He was one of the few at open training before the SF that gave time to the fans and had a smile on his face. Lovely guy who could have been far more annoyed than he showed at how things turned out. We literally took Schache in as ruck sub ahead of him in a huge final. We sold the guy a clear vision and gave up on it after four months. Not saying we were wrong to try, but I feel for him.

Good luck to him. He was one of the few at open training before the SF that gave time to the fans and had a smile on his face. Lovely guy who could have been far more annoyed than he showed at how things turned out. We literally took Schache in as ruck sub ahead of him in a huge final. We sold the guy a clear vision and gave up on it after four months. Not saying we were wrong to try, but I feel for him.
Feel for him lol. He was crap when he played and we paid him a significant amount of money. I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest

Feel for him lol. He was crap when he played and we paid him a significant amount of money. I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest
Yeah also, if you want an absolute guarantee to be number 1 Ruckman, maybe dont go to a club that has 6xAA ruckman Max Gawn there lol.
It was always a risk for him as it was for MFC and it didnt pay off

Im sure he's a ripper bloke and he did embrace the dees and all that, but its time to move. I doubt he's feeling sorry for himself as well

Yeah also, if you want an absolute guarantee to be number 1 Ruckman, maybe dont go to a club that has 6xAA ruckman Max Gawn there lol.
It was always a risk for him as it was for MFC and it didnt pay off

Im sure he's a ripper bloke and he did embrace the dees and all that, but its time to move. I doubt he's feeling sorry for himself as well
Yeah I don't know why there's this bizarre pity narrative for him like we are obliged to play him every game regardless of his or the teams performance. Excepting the same blokes to be calling for Mcadam to be dropped after a few bad games next year.

It's not a pity party, it's just acknowledging that he seems like a good bloke who took a challenge on and it didn't pay off - but he retained his composure and integrity throughout. You can feel sorry that it didn't work out, and wish him well on the way out, if you want to stay classy.

It's not a pity party, it's just acknowledging that he seems like a good bloke who took a challenge on and it didn't pay off - but he retained his composure and integrity throughout. You can feel sorry that it didn't work out, and wish him well on the way out, if you want to stay classy.
Oh ya seen some insta stories and he seems like a good bloke? 😂
What a wank.

Stay classy lol. Like telling me to piss off and leave the board? Real classy 😋

Remove this Banner Ad

Back