Transfer Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

More due to Wenger’s stubbornness I felt, to Chelsea’s benefit in the end. Arsenal really should’ve reacquired Cesc.
He wasn't the same player by the time he came back.

He was explosive in his Arsenal stint, he lost athleticism by the time he came back. Still a fantastic midfielder, he just didn't have the same barnstorming runs he did previously.

More due to Wenger’s stubbornness I felt, to Chelsea’s benefit in the end. Arsenal really should’ve reacquired Cesc.

Yes, Cesc was quality at Chelsea for a season or so. Did seem to drop off quickly afterwards.

I remember the multiple failed Moyesiah bids for him after multiple failed Thiago bids. To eventually end up buying Fellaini after his buyout clause expired for overs.

Pretty funny.

He wasn't the same player by the time he came back.

He was explosive in his Arsenal stint, he lost athleticism by the time he came back. Still a fantastic midfielder, he just didn't have the same barnstorming runs he did previously.

Yes, in part because he broke through so early and injuries (particularly hamstring injuries) took their toll on his pace and acceleration. He adapted very well however over his career and developed into a quality deep lying maker style midfielder. Even though Arsenal had signed Ozil by that stage, I very much felt there was room for Cesc as well with the system.

Wenger took his departure to heart however. He just couldn’t see past that.

There's nothing Levy can do about it if a Chelsea decides to cough up say 110m and sign him next summer if all 3 parties agree to it.

Not that is likely to happen anyway.
Chelsea signing a forward from Germany. That usually works out well.

The attack had been built around Cesc. When he became available by that point we gone all in on Ozil. There wasn't a spot for him, and Arsenal were not in the position to pay that sort of money for a backup.

Chelsea signing a forward from Germany. That usually works out well.

Boehly doesn't spend big on 30 plus year olds so he's probably safe!

Maybe Utd might have a dip after Bayern have gotten 3 seasons out of him. Probably cough up 85m for him at 33.

Levy when presented with that bid to match will burst out laughing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The attack had been built around Cesc. When he became available by that point we gone all in on Ozil. There wasn't a spot for him, and Arsenal were not in the position to pay that sort of money for a backup.

By that stage of his Fabregas had demonstrated his ability to adapt/evolve into different positions than what he excelled in at Arsenal. Deeper CM roles, false 9 for Barca and Spain etc. He was one of those rare players that I just felt when the opportunity comes to sign, you do it.

And given the perennial injury issues that plagued the likes of Wilshere, Ramsey etc, he would’ve been much more than a backup. Anyway, all moot now. Wenger said no and that was that.

Early days but I think their is a clear top 3 signings of the season that are a mile above the rest. So far signings of the season are

1. James Ward-Prowse - Fits West Ham perfectly who are one of the best set piece teams around and now with the best set piece taker around. Ive read he has like 6 assists already or something crazy like that
2. James Maddison - Unheralded as a targetted man at Leicester. More freedom and a system that suits him to a tee with Angeball
3. Dominik Szoboszlai - Absolute beast. All that money spent on all those CMs and this guy is a cut above.

Id be staggered if anything changes from those top 3 either. Early days I know but sometimes a signing just fits the team so well they are never going to fail

clear top 3 signings of the season that are a mile above the rest.

giphy.gif

1. James Ward-Prowse - Fits West Ham perfectly who are one of the best set piece teams around and now with the best set piece taker around. Ive read he has like 6 assists already or something crazy like that.
One of those assists was at Soton before he moved, but he does also have 2 goals for West Ham.

Early days but I think their is a clear top 3 signings of the season that are a mile above the rest. So far signings of the season are

1. James Ward-Prowse - Fits West Ham perfectly who are one of the best set piece teams around and now with the best set piece taker around. Ive read he has like 6 assists already or something crazy like that
2. James Maddison - Unheralded as a targetted man at Leicester. More freedom and a system that suits him to a tee with Angeball
3. Dominik Szoboszlai - Absolute beast. All that money spent on all those CMs and this guy is a cut above.

Maddison for me.

I'd always heard rumours that he was meant to be a massive prick and that was perhaps why bigger clubs and the NT hadn't shown much interest in him but I've really been impressed with the way he's quickly established himself as a leader in this Tottenham side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back