Restricted Free Agent Cam Zurhaar [2024 RFA?]

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if your club is happy to come 2nd 3rd 4th or the rest good luck to them. I am looking for flags cause there aint no 2nd prize No one remembers the runner up.

"No one remembers the runner up."

From 2000 onwards (this is off the top of my head):

Melbourne, Collingwood, Collingwood, Port, Brisbane, West Coast, Sydney, Port, Geelong, Saints, Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney, West Coast, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS, Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney, Brisbane.

Think they're all correct, but more disproving your cliche of 'no-one remembers the runner up.' It's obviously not a factual statement, given most can remember the runner up in recent years...sooo...kind of a silly thing to say - especially given you haven't even made it that far in 24 years.

"No one remembers the runner up."

From 2000 onwards (this is off the top of my head):

Melbourne, Collingwood, Collingwood, Port, Brisbane, West Coast, Sydney, Port, Geelong, Saints, Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Sydney, West Coast, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS, Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney, Brisbane.

Think they're all correct, but more disproving your cliche of 'no-one remembers the runner up.' It's obviously not a factual statement, given most can remember the runner up in recent years...sooo...kind of a silly thing to say - especially given you haven't even made it that far in 24 years.
And i am just supposed to just take your word for that. Gotta love FootyWire.

And i am just supposed to just take your word for that. Gotta love FootyWire.
It is probably fair to say that with the amount of media that a grand final gets and that we are currently on a football forum that people would remember the participants.

I think a more accurate description would be

" no one gives a sh*t who comes second".

I mean did the 2013 Dockers have a 10 year "we lost" reunion?

I highly doubt it.

We lost 98 and I try to block that the year even existed, despite that we had our best H&A season of the 90s that year.

Imagine floating the idea where 16 clubs would pay in draft picks for 2 to benefit. It's so stupidly insane, yet here we are.

The compensation for free agents was a good idea, particularly during the expansion club's initial years and to see if there were clubs that were getting raided due to multiple free agents qualifying in the same year. Good little initiative while it was in it's infancy. It hasn't worked out like that at all though so the jumping at shadows was unwarranted.

The fact it's still around is so rotten it's beginning to small like almonds. Time for the league to grow up and stop thinking they have to micro-manage every bloody thing the clubs do.

If you lose a free agent the club already gets compensation in the form of salary cap space and a list spot to draft/trade/sign a new player. They can even, and I know this sounds radical, bring in a free agent of their own (with the extra cap space).

That's how it's suppose to work. Not the garbage that it is now.

We're at the stage where clubs buy draft picks with Cap Space. That should have been the end of it. The two are directly linked and solved the problem.

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

Simple example: St Kilda losing one of their top 25% players like Gresham will require a pick (of at least any value) to fill that additional open list spot.
Extreme example: a club losing 22 players via free agency will require 22 additional picks to fill their list. Or they won't have one.

A pick = a player. A player out, a pick in.
I didn't think this was a difficult concept to understand yet here we are.

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

Simple example: St Kilda losing one of their top 25% players like Gresham will require a pick (of at least any value) to fill that additional open list spot.
Extreme example: a club losing 22 players via free agency will require 22 additional picks to fill their list. Or they won't have one.

A pick = a player. A player out, a pick in.
I didn't think this was a difficult concept to understand yet here we are.
You've answered as if I wrote 'I don't understand how it works'.

Maybe go back and read the post again? That's not what I'm saying.

To cut it short using your example, St Kilda losing one of their best players opens up significant Salary Space . That's the advantage. They can then use this extra cap space to....

....get a free agent (or take it to the draft and pick the next Dayne Swan)

No club had lost anywhere near 22 players. That's what I meant when I wrote "It hasn't worked out like that at all though so the jumping at shadows was unwarranted." (again, please go back and read what I actually wrote)

No need for the additional AFL invented draft picks coming from thin air. It's not necessary, hecks the draft and treats clubs like they can't manage their own lists. It's just a way the AFL micro-manages a situation that really needs them to stay out of.

Clubs being allowed to purchase draft picks for cash from other clubs is also something that could be abused and exploited and goes
It isn't similar at all. When Geelong bought pick 7 the club with pick 8 weren't pushed down the draft order.

I suppose it could be exploited by manipulating your list to try to get priority picks, but North already did that.

It isn't similar at all. When Geelong bought pick 7 the club with pick 8 weren't pushed down the draft order.

I suppose it could be exploited by manipulating your list to try to get priority picks, but North already did that.
North didn't manipulate their list to get priority picks. North moved on players in their 30s to get younger and rebuild.

You can't honestly believe that the plan was to get priority picks when the people who made the decision to rebuild are no longer at the club.

You can't honestly believe that the plan was to get priority picks when the people who made the decision to rebuild are no longer at the club.
I absolutely do believe that. Those people all had a plan, which new people have continued. The plan will continue in 2024 with more tanking and more attempts at generating more priority picks and compo. The AFL have shown they are right with you too.

I fully expect zurhaar to be shown the door as part of the programme.

I absolutely do believe that. Those people all had a plan, which new people have continued. The plan will continue in 2024 with more tanking and more attempts at generating more priority picks and compo. The AFL have shown they are right with you too.

Urgh... thats a bit tin foil hat, mate.

North are trying to win games next season.

They wanted to start trending up in 2022 after a strong finish in 2021. If that happened they wouldn't have gotten PPs.

There won't be priority picks for North next season.

North desperately don't want to keep losing experienced players like Zurhaar.

Urgh... thats a bit tin foil hat, mate.

North are trying to win games next season.

They wanted to start trending up in 2022 after a strong finish in 2021. If that happened they wouldn't have gotten PPs.

There won't be priority picks for North next season.

North desperately don't want to keep losing experienced players like Zurhaar.
It's not a go at North. They're using the system in place, but be honest - in what world is McKay worth a top 3 pick?

The problem I have is: where did the pick come from?

Answer - every other club. How crap is a system where the clubs not involved in a trade/FA pay for it to happen?

It would be like going to KFC, ordering a Family Feast meal and expecting everyone else in the restaurant to chip in and pay for it.

If you're not against this yet, ask yourself this - what would you accept in draft capital to move from pick 3 to pick 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6 etc etc and then cumulatively add that up. That's where the pick is coming from atm. It's moronic.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a go at North. They're using the system in place, but be honest - in what world is McKay worth a top 3 pick?

The problem I have is: where did the pick come from?

Answer - every other club. How crap is a system where the clubs not involved in a trade/FA pay for it to happen?

If you're not against this yet, ask yourself this - what would you accept in draft capital to move from pick 3 to pick 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6 etc etc and then cumulatively add that up. That's where the pick is coming from atm. It's moronic.
You're talking about something else here. We're talking about whether North manipulated their list with a long term plan to generate priority picks.

McKay was rated as a band 1 compensation pick because Essendon, Sydney and Hawthorn had a bidding war on him and pushed his value way up.

I'm not a big fan of the compensation pick system, but that wasn't a new rule for North.

Ran into him down at the Fawkner Kebab House - he said Bombers are s**t and would never play there

You're talking about something else here. We're talking about whether North manipulated their list with a long term plan to generate priority picks.

McKay was rated as a band 1 compensation pick because Essendon, Sydney and Hawthorn had a bidding war on him and pushed his value way up.

I'm not a big fan of the compensation pick system, but that wasn't a new rule for North.
Fair enough. At least the ground swell is now to ditch the comp picks.

I honesty have no idea why they still exist.

Last edited:
North didn't manipulate their list to get priority picks. North moved on players in their 30s to get younger and rebuild.

North shouldn’t have Priority picks for a list management decision to gutter their list.

From the hawks early 2000s play book?

From the hawks early 2000s play book?
Absolutely not. We kept our best players and actively sought to trade in more, only offloading players we didn't see as useful going forward. Our best veterans were all still there for the 2008 flag. If North win a flag in 2028 there will be exactly zero elite veterans from their tanking period on the list.

The real difference is back in the early 2000s if you were bad you got real draft help every year (what was called priority picks, which aren't the same as the ones today). It let you really build from the draft in ways that aren't possible today.

North will keep going for that PP and compo gold though.

Absolutely not. We kept our best players and actively sought to trade in more, only offloading players we didn't see as useful going forward. Our best veterans were all still there for the 2008 flag. If North win a flag in 2028 there will be exactly zero elite veterans from their tanking period on the list.

The real difference is back in the early 2000s if you were bad you got real draft help every year (what was called priority picks, which aren't the same as the ones today). It let you really build from the draft in ways that aren't possible today.

North will keep going for that PP and compo gold though.
Nathan Thompson was your leading goalkicker in 2003-2004

Nathan Thompson was your leading goalkicker in 2003-2004
And he had serious issues that meant he wouldn't be part of our future. We needed him gone asap. Moving him on wasn't weakening our list the way moving mckay or zuhaar would weaken North. It isn't close to the same. (Unless there is stuff we don't know about)

And he had serious issues that meant he wouldn't be part of our future. We needed him gone asap. Moving him on wasn't weakening our list the way moving mckay or zuhaar would weaken North. It isn't close to the same. (Unless there is stuff we don't know about)
Trent Croad, Luke McPharlin

Trent Croad, Luke McPharlin
Mcpharlin was a teenager, and croad wasn't our choice and we got him back as soon as we could (mcpharlin also wanted back home sadly), but this is the zurhaar thread and I don't know how to bring the conversation back to him any more sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back