Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Sampson up forward. Koz in the VFL. Sampson needs size. He can't compete against other ruckmen until he has the core strength to wrestle and body them out of the way at contests. The fitness coaches should be getting him to follow Dusty around in the gym :sneaky:
You still need to grab a mark and push your opponent around. Ryan won’t make it unless he gets stronger in the gym as you mentioned, but unfortunately he’s mentally soft with way too many deficiencies to overcome. It would be a bigger miracle than the rise of Samson once Dalilah betrayed him. 😂.

I want Sampson up forward. Koz in the VFL. Sampson needs size. He can't compete against other ruckmen until he has the core strength to wrestle and body them out of the way at contests. The fitness coaches should be getting him to follow Dusty around in the gym :sneaky:
More size?! The bloke can barely move as is at his weight, imagine him with even more. He’s got no hope, you can’t suddenly give someone natural athleticism if they don’t have it.

Last season, he had some games where he looked fantastic. I went to a game at the beginning of the year in Adelaide, and he looked dangerous as a forward - taking big grabs and kicking them from long range. Similarly, he also had games where he was very promising as a second ruck.

I feel he was just monstered on Saturday by a much more experienced and bigger bodied ruckman. I don't think this will be the case every week and I feel he would have taken through that game by the coaches and take it as a learning experience.

He may never be a star but few ruckmen are. If he can be a point of difference up forward though, he could be a real asset to the club. He still looks like an under developed fawn atm. I really just think he needs to get on the protein powder and bulk up in the gym. Given the position/s he plays, he can't be all height. He needs the strength too. Atm he doesn't have this and if he fails to get it, he'll be another McBean/Vickery sadly.

I'm backing him in.

Faarrrk me we get carried away....

He's no superstar by any stretch, but what talls have we got? And you have to have some out there.

Lynch & Nank - 100% in
Balta 2nd KPF - 100% in

So 2nd ruck/3rd KPF - comes down to Kozi or Ryan. I don't think Naismith can play forward well enough IMO

On the weekend they played poorly, but who was claiming them to be superstars in the first place!

And then people claiming Miller to be the saviour... give me a spell, he is in exactly the same boat,

Last season, he had some games where he looked fantastic. I went to a game at the beginning of the year in Adelaide, and he looked dangerous as a forward - taking big grabs and kicking them from long range. Similarly, he also had games where he was very promising as a second ruck.

I feel he was just monstered on Saturday by a much more experienced and bigger bodied ruckman. I don't think this will be the case every week and I feel he would have taken through that game by the coaches and take it as a learning experience.

He may never be a star but few ruckmen are. If he can be a point of difference up forward though, he could be a real asset to the club. He still looks like an under developed fawn atm. I really just think he needs to get on the protein powder and bulk up in the gym. Given the position/s he plays, he can't be all height. He needs the strength too. Atm he doesn't have this and if he fails to get it, he'll be another McBean/Vickery sadly.

I'm backing him in.
Needs to go back and dominate VFL for a month or two. I still think he has all the tools. Those saying he's soft have no idea. He has mongrel, he just doesn't have the body to back it up @ AFL level just yet.

If your going to pick them at least make sure they have some Ressies form...Samson got thrown to the wolves and had no form to justify his selection!
We were 2 men down before the first bounce(add Dusty etc).Sampson & Mrj should have been 39th & 40th in line for selection but quite staggering were best 22.

He can't be classified as a tall bc he's not an AFL footballer. Similar to Colina as they are just two tall men on our list, but nowhere near AFL standard and both will never be no matter how many years on our list .
You make it sound like playing AFL is easy... so how many games did you play???

As a young tall, he's had a few games where he has looked good. He's had a few games where he has looked a long way out of his depth.

But he's done enough at his age to give him opportunity to continue to develop and get better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make it sound like playing AFL is easy... so how many games did you play???

As a young tall, he's had a few games where he has looked good. He's had a few games where he has looked a long way out of his depth.

But he's done enough at his age to give him opportunity to continue to develop and get better
i'm not on an AFL list so your point is stupid , irrelevant and personal. This is a fan forum and not an x players one . FMD??? He still has all the deficiencies from when he first arrived and if they're not glaringly obvious to you then you're out of your depth just as a fanboy.

Will probably come good, but a long way off for mine.

I'll leave it to those that would know at the club, and most talls do take time.

Patience has never been my strong point.

If we were still seeing glimpses like those first few games , some nice marks , some good possies thru traffic , I’d be bullish ,,,,,we aren’t sadly
He took a big mark in the goal square against the Pies. Plus he was subbed off before we got our hands on the ball against Suns. Can't judge him off properly off that first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back