Review Round 5, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Butters, Bergman, Houston. Butters just cut through them in the last

Zak kicked a ripper goal too.

And yes, Houston was a standout. Just checked his stats, 27 disposals for 740 metres gained.

Last edited:

I have no idea how we won that. Until that final siren went I was expecting a Ken Hinkley special. Play in a hard fought finals type contest and just fall short (the getting blown away option wasn't on the cards).

I don't know who played well, it felt like Miles Bergman made things happen whenever he had the ball, albeit without a heap of touches.

Thought Lachie Jones was good, provided some good cover and his pace forced some hurried kicks. Stopped some of their breakaway plays with powerful tackling.

Georgie was good in patches, Dixon was a statue who came to life twice.

The midfield was all cameos.

This is what happens when I try to be positive about them. I apologise for tempting the footy gods.

Agree with all of that
Bang on

What a clusterheck of a game. It was pretty funny hearing the crowd get progressively angrier at the I50s and seeing luke ryans stupid hair.

Anyone who thinks this side can win a premiership is a prize gronk.

Let’s just enjoy it for what it is - we play in the AFL, we exist, and we win a few games here and there.

Yay, go team.
Come on, they should have beaten Carltank last week. They play dour game.

They beat us inside and let seeepers wide of the pack whilst we got sucked into ball chasing. I thought they did a real good job negating our midfield. They have some genuine speed too.

35 FWD and 13 back played amazingly well. Shame it took so long to man up 13 it was obvious.

Well done Lachie on fighting back, Butters lifted in the last, Drew’s tackle being punished in the 3rd rough.

Mitch G looking great, but not as great as the Freeo chick in the red dress walking past the hill. When she walked past and I said go Freeo, she turned and smiled and had confident goddess all over 😂

Because you’ve got to feel something :).
Billy Gardell Reaction GIF by CBS

Which game were you watching? Forget the taps, Jackson torched him the moment the ball was in motion. It was like one of those games in the back end of 2022 when Finlayson was leading our ruck and occasionally he'd just blitz the opposition ruckman around the ground (it's where the meme about 'being like an extra midfielder when the ball hits the ground' began).
Nah Soldo was very solid. Had 18 HOs to advantage - twice as many as Jackson and Treacy combined. Was vital is equalising stoppages with our on ballers getting beaten otherwise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, they should have beaten Carltank last week. They play dour game.

They beat us inside and let seeepers wide of the pack whilst we got sucked into ball chasing. I thought they did a real good job negating our midfield. They have some genuine speed too.

35 FWD and 13 back played amazingly well. Shame it took so long to man up 13 it was obvious.

Well done Lachie on fighting back, Butters lifted in the last, Drew’s tackle being punished in the 3rd rough.

Mitch G looking great, but not as great as the Freeo chick in the red dress walking past the hill. When she walked past and I said go Freeo, she turned and smiled and had confident goddess all over 😂

dies-of-cringe-cringe.gif

Nah Soldo was very solid. Had 18 HOs to advantage - twice as many as Jackson and Treacy combined. Was vital is equalising stoppages with our on ballers getting beaten otherwise

I think this just reflects the low standards we have for our rucks after basically having terrible rucks for the past 15 years aside from that 1 year Ryder played good. Yeah he got some taps and did some nice things but ultimately Jackson was more influential than he was therefore he lost his position on the night.

Which game were you watching? Forget the taps, Jackson torched him the moment the ball was in motion. It was like one of those games in the back end of 2022 when Finlayson was leading our ruck and occasionally he'd just blitz the opposition ruckman around the ground (it's where the meme about 'being like an extra midfielder when the ball hits the ground' began).
Jackson does that to everyone. And the Finlayson 'being like an extra midfielder when the ball hits the ground' meme only became a meme rather than actual praise because having a ruckman act like an extra midfielder really doesn't help you actually win any games.

Give me the choice between Jackson having ten more touches than Soldo but Soldo's ruck work providing Rozee/Butters/JHF with 10 more clearances than Brayshaw/Serong/Young, I'm taking the ruck work every time.

Jackson does that to everyone. And the Finlayson 'being like an extra midfielder when the ball hits the ground' meme only became a meme rather than actual praise because having a ruckman act like an extra midfielder really doesn't help you actually win any games.

Give me the choice between Jackson having ten more touches than Soldo but Soldo's ruck work providing Rozee/Butters/JHF with 10 more clearances than Brayshaw/Serong/Young, I'm taking the ruck work every time.

Don't get me wrong, I like Soldo, I just reckon Jackson had more impact on the game tonight than he did.

Dont get the notion of Burgoyne being “raw” anymore. Yeah he probably weighs like 75kgs and will probably never be the 90kg brute winger but raw to me are the Daniel Flynn/Kyle Marshall types who are still picking up the ebs and flows and learning the nuances of the game. Tonight Jase showed a good mix of winning contested/uncontested ball (9/11 respectively) gets to the right spots, picks his moments and uses the ball superbly. 2nd quarter was his biggest with 12 touches and 3 clearances.

(also not just posting this because his dad was my fav player + my dp)

Live at the game Jackson is a freak athlete, at first I thought he was Nat Fyfe, so quick and Agile

The GOOD

-JHF defeats Freo and Hinkleyball.
  • Jase Burgoyne had arguably his breakout game
  • Soldo was at times poor around the ground but still hits out to advantage and already has good chemistry with the mids
  • Berger Man has the oven mits in this team. Great marking skills under pressure
-Esava was our best defender imo
-Lachie Jones with a solid bounce back
-Georgie our best set shot atm. Which isn't saying too much but still worth mentioning

The BAD
-Rozee & Butters were still solid but jeez they both missed some gettable goal opportunities
-Dixon is just about only good for a couple of contested marks these days and not much else. At least he got one when it mattered
-Hinkleyball returned in fair capacity but to be fair Freo always try to play defensive and ugly. Had to sink to their level to win it.

The UGLY
-I've been a lot more patient with McEntee than most ppl on this board but jesus christ.
-SPP was also shocking on return and is even worse at set shots than Finlayson was.
-Josh Treacy joins the list of spuds that play well against us (Although tbf we haven't had too many newcomers to the list since the start of last year)

Don't get me wrong, I like Soldo, I just reckon Jackson had more impact on the game tonight than he did.
Personally I think there's nothing more overrated in football than how many uncontested possessions your ruckman gets. Who cares. Nic Naitanui only averaged like 10 disposals but I'd take peak Nic Nat's tapwork and clearance work over a 20 disposal Luke Jackson game every day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back