List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard it said that Bailey Smith would cost a 1st and a 2nd rd pick.

Gee… for that price you’d want the dogs to throw in Caleb Daniel too…

Daniel would be best 22 each week for mine given his precision kicking and ability to play several roles come game day

Daniel would be best 22 each week for mine given his precision kicking and ability to play several roles come game day
Something like that may happen
If we can't get Baz for what we're prepared to pay, it might be a multi-player deal: our 2024 2nd + 2025 1st for Baz and ...
Particularly (fingers crossed) if Bulldogs need to shed some players / salaries.

Sooner or later he needs to do something dominant and eye-catching to make the coaches want to keep him on the field. If he can’t, why exactly are we picking him?

Just giving him more and more games is no guarantee that he blossoms into an AFL quality centre square mid. Cal Brown’s 70 games is proof of that. Fin needs to seize the moment, however brief.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
NOT giving him games is the guarantee he won’t blossom.

Some weird mixed messages coming out from the club; not sure if it’s because some of it is coming direct and some of it through the filter of the sports media.

We would be led to believe that we have said internally “no more trading firsts and future firsts”, but also “we are going to be aggressive in trading for quality players from rival teams”.

“Aggressive” trading to me implies putting significant draft capital (or players?) on the line.

Some weird mixed messages coming out from the club; not sure if it’s because some of it is coming direct and some of it through the filter of the sports media.

We would be led to believe that we have said internally “no more trading firsts and future firsts”, but also “we are going to be aggressive in trading for quality players from rival teams”.

“Aggressive” trading to me implies putting significant draft capital (or players?) on the line.

My thoughts exactly.

Is the first part of the statement trying to appease the inclusion of future 1st in Schultz trade?
Are the "mixed messages" by design.

I can only conclude we're bringing in "quality players" via 2nd + 3rd rounders...

The article talks about trading for Mitchell. Frampton. Hill. And SSP with Markov as a way to top up. But those were lower cost so you can do both. Use your first and trade. Does not have to be one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article talks about trading for Mitchell. Frampton. Hill. And SSP with Markov as a way to top up. But those were lower cost so you can do both. Use your first and trade. Does not have to be one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's true, Jen, but there's been a lot of talk on our boards / the media regarding trying to trade in players such as Baz, Holmes, quality Gold Coast players etc...I'm not sure how they would fit in this discussion.

If we want Bazlenka we should be getting him for cheaper considering he’s missed over two years of footy + it could be a salary dump. Realistically you’d reckon the Hawks future second and another should get it done. He’s not worth any firsts based on current value.

Dogs will be cleaning out a lot of players
He’s uncontracted so not a salary dump. Given the circumstances the Hawks future 2nd looks ample unless they repeat 2023 and fire up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re gonna need a hell of a lot more than Smith to remain in contention in 2025.
Adding Smith would go a long way to securing a really strong midfield group. Daicos x2, Smith & De Goey is a good core of players in their prime. Would want to have a defensive centreman type in there too, but that’s a group with lots of potential

I could see a scenario where we trade Hawks 2nd round pick this year & Our first pick next year for Smith & Dogs 2nd.

He isn't worth that much, we can't trade next years first?

You definitely would not. Salary cap wise that’s a poor move.

Is an accumulator but he's an awful kick of the football.

Work rate is impeccable but you'd hate to have him being your designated kicker inside 50. Ranked 2nd in the entire comp in 2022 for inside 50's, whilst managing nearly 7 turnovers a game (#1 in the comp).

He's a high metres gained player but will never be an inside magnet that we truly need. Him and Daics would complement each other but we'd still require a bull to feed them.
So, similar to Treloar?

Indeed but wouldn’t be shocked if we had to fork out another first….. but surely we don’t right? Dogs have less leverage
The Dogs have no leverage. He’s uncontracted, coming off an ACL and a “down” year in 2023. It’s the Ollie Henry situation all over again. The biggest hurdle will be convincing him across not the deal.

FWIW I’m with nahnah and unplugged and not 100% convinced. I think a new home would get the best out of him and on the surface that best looks good, but I have queries over his impact. He feels like a Treloar type who’s impact is more through volume than anything else. I don’t think he’s a Crisp/ JDG/ Pendles type where something happens whenever he has it so I don’t know how he goes in our mix unlike Schultz who was the biggest no brainer recruit we’ve landed since Jolly.

I reckon a young Treloar would have been really damaging with Fly’s style.
Depends where and how he’s getting his ball. Smith isn’t a GWS Treloar he’s more a late Collingwood version. Still a good footballer, but those injuries prevented him from reaching the upper echelons he was destined for early days when he was worth every bit of the two 1st Rd picks to trade in.

Article from Today's Herald Sun
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/c8b25383b66cb524e3a96f8884c9a346

Collingwood president Jeff Browne has put the rest on the AFL on notice, declaring the Pies must get active in the trade period to acquire rival stars and stay in the premiership hunt.

Collingwood president Jeff Browne has declared his club plans to defy gravity and stay in premiership contention mode by aggressively poaching star players from rival clubs.

The Pies are understood to be a leading contender to prise Western Bulldogs’ midfielder Bailey Smith out of Whitten Oval at the end of the season.

Their 2023 flag was built off the back of shrewd trades to secure Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay, Bobby Hill and Billy Frampton and last year they added gun small forward Lachie Schultz.

“We don’t intend to go to the bottom of the ladder, so we can never really rely on the draft,” Browne told this masthead.

“We have got to trade, like we did last year with those four players (Mitchell, McStay, Hill and Frampton) and then we pick up Oleg Markov, and this year we get Lachie Schultz.

“We have to trade to improve our side. For successful clubs who don’t want to drop down to the bottom, the draft doesn’t really work for them.”

Smith, 23, appears certain to depart Whitten Oval. He is business partners with Magpie stars Nick and Josh Daicos and was constantly spotted with them over summer

It’s understood Collingwood has privately told its players to ease up on their public outings with Smith to douse media speculation they would be playing side-by-side next season.

The Magpies have nine players on the wrong side of 30 including Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom and Mitchell. The looming retirements in coming seasons will free up millions of dollars in a salary cap that is also growing annually.

Trading for Smith would help immediately regenerate their midfield alongside emerging onballer Finlay Macrae.

It would be an ideal fit for Smith – who boasts 334,000 Instagram followers as one of the AFL’s most marketable players – to land at a powerhouse club in the premiership window.

It’s understood Schultz had as many as six potential homes last season, but chose the reigning premiers, who remain a destination club of choice. The Magpies parted with their first-round pick in this year’s draft as part of the trade for Schultz.

Browne also floated the idea of introducing an “outperformance bonus” for clubs who “contribute in an unbudgeted way to the financial health of the competition”.

The Magpies helped drive record TV ratings and attendances on their way to last year’s premiership and Browne wants a clip of the revenue they are delivering for the game.

They played nine games in front of more than 80,000 fans at the MCG and attracted 78,933 to their home game against Sydney this season.

Another bumper crowd is expected for Saturday’s heavyweight clash against Port Adelaide.

“In my capacity as president of Collingwood, I’m also going to call on the AFL to outline a process where the minimum base distribution for clubs equals the minimum spend under the TPP (salary cap),” Browne said.

If they make us spend around $16 million on player salaries, they’ve got to give us $16 million by way of a base distribution, because they tell us we’ve got to spend that.

“It happens in the NRL. Last year the base distribution was just over $10 million.

“Collingwood only received the base distribution, we didn’t get anymore, and the majority of other clubs received an additional variable distribution, where the AFL tops them up.

“That is necessary in cases where clubs need additional funding for a variety of reasons, particularly those in developing geographies, and I don’t suggest that all clubs should get the same.

“But I reckon Collingwood contributed way more than one eighteenth to the value of the AFL competition last year because of our performances, our coach, our captain and the drawing power of our club.

“But for all that, we received the minimum amount from the AFL.”

By 2027 the salary cap will have swelled to almost $18.5 million.

“The AFL tells us you have to pay that, and the game is in great shape in terms of its revenues from its broadcast deals and sponsorships and the money it can make out of the newly renovated Marvel Stadium,” Browne said. “It has to pay to the clubs at least the amount that the AFL requires the clubs to spend on players
this is why I like our current president so much more than the previous president . Browne is only seen and heard when he's got something really important to say and that's focussed on improving us

The Dogs have no leverage. He’s uncontracted, coming off an ACL and a “down” year in 2023. It’s the Ollie Henry situation all over again. The biggest hurdle will be convincing him across not the deal.

FWIW I’m with nahnah and unplugged and not 100% convinced. I think a new home would get the best out of him and on the surface that best looks good, but I have queries over his impact. He feels like a Treloar type who’s impact is more through volume than anything else. I don’t think he’s a Crisp/ JDG/ Pendles type where something happens whenever he has it so I don’t know how he goes in our mix unlike Schultz who was the biggest no brainer recruit we’ve landed since Jolly.
perfect replacement for Sideass

Presumably they've made offers to English and Smith that allow for them to retain JUH, however won't stand in their way if both accept higher offers from other clubs. West Coast are likely to be looking closely at English and Smith apparently has a number of suitors, including Geelong, Hawthorn and us.

Hopefully Hawthorn are successful in their pursuit of Smith; I'm not convinced that he's a good fit for us for the money he will most likely command.
perfect replacemnt for sidey

You definitely would not. Salary cap wise that’s a poor move.
One would assume that if the dogs throw a second player into any Smith deal like Daniel, Dale, Lobb… all roughly on 700k… that the dogs would have to pay a portion of that players wage.

In which case getting Caleb Daniel or Bailey Dale for 500k a year is quite reasonable given their abilities

Lobb I’d avoid… but we are crucially short of depth in that area… even so, I’m not keen on him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back