Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Told we had 20 more inside 50's on Saturday

It's been my frustration for last 12 months. We play well but just don't kick enough goals for all the good work we do

Poor connection, poor ball use, poor kicking for goal and injuries to key players need to be addressed. IMO it's the number issue holding us back

66 to 45 Soap :(

That was the ‘icing on the cake’ for me.

The ‘1 job’ line is the key!

Small forward job description: Kick goals, be under the talls feet, kick goals, keep the ball inside 50, kick goals, be a menace in the forward 50, kick a goal.
*see Tom Papley
Don't fly for marks therefore getting in the way of the big boys...

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
7 - Gryan Miers (GEEL)
5 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)
4 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
2 -
Max Holmes (GEEL)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)

Christ are we really retroactively making LOB out to be good now. Ollie miles ahead.
I'm not trying to suggest that. I'm just saying I could see the case for him being better offensively. His delivery inside 50 was good and he did pop up for the odd goal, so far Ollie does neither.

However, with just about everything else, I'm taking Ollie.

Told we had 20 more inside 50's on Saturday

It's been my frustration for last 12 months. We play well but just don't kick enough goals for all the good work we do

Poor connection, poor ball use, poor kicking for goal and injuries to key players need to be addressed. IMO it's the number issue holding us back
Listening to SEN this morning, we went to H and Charlie 28 times for five goals.

We desperately need a dependable, reliable third forward type.

Papley would be perfect, ffs.

Listening to SEN this morning, we went to H and Charlie 28 times for five goals.

I also liked the suggestion Cripps should play that role - the Petracca etc. type where he goes forward. He did it for half of Voss' first season in which he kicked 20 goals and won a Brownlow. He can do it but they stopped it for some reason.

Yeap…and I think it was 13 times to the other forwards for 5 goals also

So if you do the maths….

Conversion rate for bombing long to H/Charlie = 100x5/28~18%

Versus

Conversion rate for a leading forward 100x5/13~38%

There is the efficiency gain right there.

I don't think we do learn though.

We still have terrible forward entries week after week.

Yet some how our coach thinks it's all down to defensive issues...
I'm confident that the coach is on top of it and has more of an idea than any of us does.

We missed a lot of easy shots at goal, Geelong never missed one of those. There's the ball game.

Can someone tell me how Moir is going???

Would love his freakish talent and marking power running around the forward 50…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
7 - Gryan Miers (GEEL)
5 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)
4 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
2 -
Max Holmes (GEEL)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)

Pretty accurate, though I was surprised to see Sam had 31 and 7 tackles when I looked at the stats, felt like he had a nothing game compared to his previous two.

McKay and Guthrie would feel stiff. Bruhn seemed everywhere from my seat but the numbers don’t really reflect that.

I can't say that I'm surprised by that. Is there anything about the club that you're happy about at the moment?

Sure.

The penny seems to have finally dropped for TDK.

Pitto is rucking well.

Harry is back to his near his best and is actually playing like the dominant forward he can be LEADING up to contests.

Walsh is in Brownlow medal like form. Cripps is back to his best.

Boyd is showing some ok signs.

Can someone tell me how Moir is going???

Would love his freakish talent and marking power running around the forward 50…
Don't think Moir plays AFL this season, assuming our injury list reduces. He has good moments, then vanishes at VFL level.
His strong dual-sided kicking is his super power until the rest develops.

Last edited:

This is the problem, the other forward options from Harry and Charlie.

There’s TDK when playing up forward, but with Motlop and Martin out the remaining forward options are foot soldiers that struggle to get separation from their opponents.

E Hollands is showing a lot, so perhaps there’s an under utilised option. Really need Martin back & Motlop back in.

Also our disposal going into the forward line isn’t first class much of the time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure.

The penny seems to have finally dropped for TDK.

Pitto is rucking well.

Harry is back to his near his best and is actually playing like the dominant forward he can be LEADING up to contests.

Walsh is in Brownlow medal like form. Cripps is back to his best.

Boyd is showing some ok signs.
Great response, that time I was surprised but loved it :thumbsu:

Great response, that time I was surprised but loved it :thumbsu:

We have two amazingly talented Coleman medalists and yet we don't have a game to get them isolated one on one to expose the defenders.

Both of them can out mark anyone in the league on the lead.

Yet all we manage to do is get Charlie into wrestling matches vs multiple opponents.

Harry can destroy a team if we leave room for him to lead into.

Charlie should be doing what Geelong did to us multiple times.

We would be leaving him the whole forward line to himself when we are coming out of attack so he can be the guy who breaks out the back into open space.

We don't have decent small forwards at present, so play to the strengths we do have up forward.

We have two amazingly talented Coleman medalists and yet we don't have a game to get them isolated one on one to expose the defenders.

Both of them can out mark anyone in the league on the lead.

Yet all we manage to do is get Charlie into wrestling matches vs multiple opponents.

Harry can destroy a team if we leave room for him to lead into.

Charlie should be doing what Geelong did to us multiple times.

We would be leaving him the whole forward line to himself when we are coming out of attack so he can be the guy who breaks out the back into open space.

We don't have decent small forwards at present, so play to the strengths we do have up forward.
I think that we will have a much better functioning forward line once Martin, Motlop and Fogarty return.

I think that we will have a much better functioning forward line once Martin, Motlop and Fogarty return.

Martin does make a difference because he is a natural at presenting a lead up option. He knows when to leave space for the power forwards too.

I'd like us to try a bit of Pagan's paddock for our two super stars.

If our small forwards can't crumb, which they can't. Might as well get them out of the way and stop clogging up the leading lanes for the big boys.

Back