Prediction Round 8, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what Im thinking about when we are saying we enjoy how direct we have been playing recently. And I assume that a byproduct of that is lower possession numbers in general. And it probably flows on to some of our more unrewarded runners ie Luke Edwards and Chesser and their low numbers. Not saying its the reason for them but a contributing factor in why people trying to find their role in our team might have production issues.
Also disposal efficiency.
We have improved heaps in the past month, particularly inside 50.
We had 46 less disposals on the weekend 68.8% DE compared to Suns 71.4% but we were nearly 10% better at 51.4% I50 DE.
For comparison the dogs game our I50 DE was a woeful 35.3% and 41.8% against GWS

Out: Sheed, Hedwards, Cheeser

In: Harley, Barrass, Long

Chess to have a full run in the WAFL. Brockman and Long to cover those wing minutes. I reckon Brockman playing a bit higher might be just the ticket for him to find some space and get creative. I think he's got good vision.

Sheed...my sponsors curse is working a treat. Guy looks like he would struggle to take a piss with any sense of urgency. Surely has to get the Gaff treatment and become a Beagles stalwart.

Heddy...played OK. Just his place in the pecking order at present.

Who are we gonna play on Stringer? I reckon he will make Roth, Cole, Dugg look stupid and I think Brady is undersized for the MU as yet. I think Brady might be the most likely to tie hi in knots though. Will be a key MU for the coaching team to get right at any rate I think.
Long and Brockman are struggling for form and touches in their natural positions. Minimal chance they perform any better than Chesser in an actual wing role.

They also sit a ruckman either Draper or Goldstein down there a lot of the time too. They basically always have 4 guys 192cm+ down there, 2 of them usually being ruckman height, with the 5th being Stringer in the midfield for a stint or a ruckman
None of them get up the ground like Maric or cover the kms that Waterman does either
Harry Jones does.

Also disposal efficiency.
We have improved heaps in the past month, particularly inside 50.
We had 46 less disposals on the weekend 68.8% DE compared to Suns 71.4% but we were nearly 10% better at 51.4% I50 DE.
For comparison the dogs game our I50 DE was a woeful 35.3% and 41.8% against GWS
I think a lot of that is just from the speed with which we have been either bursting from stoppage or going from one end to the other. Gives the forwards best chance

BBW had a big task just on Sunday and has pretty much rucked every full game this year.

May need any kind of chop out and Ess have 2 good big men (if Goldy plays)

Just a thought

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I dont think it matters who we put there, both the bombers rucks are better than BW, theyd monster Barnett. Imo just let BW and JW battle it out, Darling can chop out in the forward line like hes been doing too. It is what it is

In - Brad Scott Week!!

full

brad-scott-coaches-box.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it blows, us having a 6 day turn around after the longest trip in the AFL. f-you afl.

hope training is pretty easy this week
And if the poor old Bombers, after being forced to travel all way across our huge country, have a poor match the following week then we’ll hear the excuse they were probably tired from the travel. 😀😀😀

I cant find the stat, dont know if distance run is available, so I dont know how far Jones runs, but Waterman is regularly in the top few on our team. There would be very few KPFs who would be even close to Waterman.
So in Round 6, Jones covered 15kms and Waterman 13.5kms (not sure about TOG though).

Hough Barass Cole
Rotham. Gov. Duggan
Ginbey. Reid. Hunt
Cripps Darling. Petrol
Maric J-Train. Long

B.Will. Yeo. Kelly

J.will HJ. Witherden Brockman

Sub Ryan

In. Out
Reid. Chess
Long. Sheed
HJ. L.edwards
Barass. H.edwards

Brockman on last chance before a stint in wafl C.Hall to replace

Wonder if the Essendon Edge will be focussed on Harley...when you see them at it on field, it looks like cheap sniping or dirty play, which of course goes on in any game, but they turn it up a notch.

Although we thought the Suns game would show us where we're at (without Harley etc), in some ways it wasn't a good indicator as there were too many factors against us.
I reckon our home games and the teams we play will offer a more stable indication of where we're at, and any improvement.
Always important to win away though...

Pyke wants to resurrect the Sheedy scarf waving...if it doesn't eventuate, it should be
a dour contest, if the legs hold up...
Simmo alluded to some changes regarding underperforming players, he was a bit pithy! The obvious ins are TB, Reid and Long, as it should be, and a return to the derby team where possible..

Last edited:
Wonder if the Essendon Edge will be focussed on Harley...when you see them at it on field, it looks like cheap sniping or dirty play, which of course goes on in any game, but they turn it up a notch.

Although we thought the Suns game would show us where we're at (without Harley etc), in some ways it wasn't a good indicator as there were too many factors against us.
I reckon our home games and the teams we play will offer a more stable indication of where we're at, and any improvement.
Always good to win away though...

Pyke wants to resurrect the Sheedy scarf waving...if it doesn't eventuate, it should be
a dour contest, if the legs hold up...
Simmo alluded to some changes regarding underperforming players, he was a bit pithy! The obvious ins are TB, Reid and Long, as it should be, and a return to the derby team where possible..

Mm, do we? Outside of like 2 isolated incidents against Sydney in round 2, you're going to have to help me out with where this has been.

We are a much more physical team than previously, but that can be put down a lot to personnel - in particular playing bigger guys like Caldwell and Durham around the ball a lot more than the smaller Parish, combined with the fact that we are playing very little youth. Davey Jr probably the only young guy we're currently playing, who couldn't hurt a fly.

Anyway, best of luck. Could imagine that this year has already been a lot more enjoyable than previously for you all with some more competitive outfits.

I think we're not the easiest team to snipe at though...

We have a lot of big boys - if you want to act up down back there's a McGovenator and Barrass to contend with, even Hough, Rotham down back aren't small and are not going to be pushed around.
Our smallISH backs in Duggan and Cole both have plenty of grunt so good luck right there (Duggan can be especially savage and will straight up plan a nicely aimed in-play revenge bump for any discretions).

Up forward Waterman, Darling, JWilliams will be there to enforce.

And if you try and snipe our youngsters - well Harley, Ginbey and Chesser are not the smallest teenagers going around.
In fact Harley would love the scrap and Ginbey is straight up on horse steroids.

And straight up Good luck with Elliot Yeo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back