Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sub ain’t on there for that, it’s to impact and provide run.

In a defensive tight game breaking up oppo chains is key - at the ground (haven’t seen the telecast) I thought he saved us 3 times in the last quarter. So he certainly provided impact (but not run)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has been really impressive Nank.

I love that he takes the game on - even after mistakes. Seems to rush things a little bit right now, but just seems like the type of player where there is going to be a moment where it all clicks and the game slows down a little for him.

Reminds me a little of pre-injury Milera the way he evades in close.

I don’t think I can remember a pre-injury Milera. Did he really exist?

Could argue that Port really did lose it, more than we won it.
Port always have a heap of I50s, clearances, contested ball etc... problem is they are so bloody inefficient going forward (our defenders also did well to make them take shots from tough positions, a few rushed behinds too). They are the 16th most accurate team in the comp, last night wasn't a once off. It's been their issue for years under Ken.

Being more efficient than your opponent is what wins games of footy, which is exactly what we did last night (and against Carlton). Sydney for example had basically the same number of I50s as the Hawks last week, but were kicking goals every 2nd entry and ended up winning by 12 goals.

Our scoring efficiency is what won us so many games in 2023, I am very happy to see that back in recent weeks!

Last edited:

I don’t think I can remember a pre-injury Milera. Did he really exist?
Animated GIF

Its a good morning, my partner commented that he finally gets to see a team he supports win a trophy (Spurs fan - and just starting to get into AFL).

But the icing on the cake has been watching my salty Port supporting family all over social media this morning, including one who has started "beef" on an AFL article and then tried to deny that she is a (paid up member, goes to every game) Port supporter and claim she supports another team!

Half tempted to respond to her comments with a photo of her at their last home game asking when she decided to switch clubs.

Like we found out in 05/06, if you don't have any genuine elite forwards then you aren't winning a flag. Their midfield is elite, but doesn't mean s**t if there is nothing up front to kick to. Defence isn't that great either, but ok enough. List is nowhere near properly contending for a flag.
The difference is that Adelaide's 05/06 had a very good defence, to go with a top-notch midfield, only our forward line was poor.

Port have the midfield, but both their defence and forward lines are awful.

And of those, Butts is the one living on borrowed time (pending Murray's return).

It's not a particularly young group, but it is VERY inexperienced.
He had a good match last night. Some telling marks and intercepts. Playing him injured earlier in the season like a few others was a mistake.

He had a good match last night. Some telling marks and intercepts. Playing him injured earlier in the season like a few others was a mistake.
He was good... but Keane was better, and Murray is better again. Nice to have such depth in our KPDs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least he owned it, would Nicks have?

He also owned their game style and was contributing to their poor inaccuracy. Nicks never would
Putting nicks aside, I wouldn't be painting Hinckley in a good light from that.

He came out and 'owned' a very dumb decision and of course made sure to let everyone know how courageous he is by owning it. Then goes on to give a buffoon explanation as to why they made that decision.

Admitting their game plan has flaws when they've had the same forward entry issues for 3-4 years is hardly the sign of competence either.

I know it isn't popular, but I thought he had another decent game again. Has a good knack of hitting the scoreboard fairly regularly too.
He was good.

Finding the ball, even hitting the score board hasn't really been his issue though. It's the defensive stuff, being brushed aside & sometimes his disposal is a bit predictable high bomb down the line when there's a tiny bit of pressure when he's meant to be an elite user.

Regardless, he was good last night, more of that.

He came out and 'owned' a very dumb decision and of course made sure to let everyone know how courageous he is by owning it. Then goes on to give a buffoon explanation as to why they made that decision.

Admitting their game plan has flaws when they've had the same forward entry issues for 3-4 years is hardly the sign of competence either.
I’m not giving his credit for his decision making but he’s owned it, has Nicks ever?

Its criminal how much they rely on Dixon whose never even been a top 5, maybe not even a top 10 forward in the comp.

Why’d he dish to Rash in the goal square? Surely could have gone himself
It seems to be a team plan, to share the ball if there's someone in a better position.

Sholl was running in on an angle, while Rachele was coming straight into the open goal mouth. Rash had a higher % shot, albeit with a slight risk of ****ing up the pass.

I watch most port games and JHF, Butters and Rozee usually get out into space and are very hard guys to reel in. I loved how we took away their space tonight. Some great tackles on all of them and made them largely ineffective. I hope we can play every game like it's a showdown.
Ports midfield stats look nice, but the pressure applied quelled their impact.

Butters 33 posessions looks cute. But he had no impact. The one play of note was a CBA handball out to JHF who put it I50 in the 3rd qtr.

90% of Butters disposal was rushed due to our pressure. DE% 64%. Ross Lyon tightened up on him last week DE% 63% and again no impact. But pretty good raw disposal stats.

Connor was injured.

We respected Drew's ability and pressured him as well.

JHF the only concern. But they needed him up forward so his midfield influence was quelled by that. For a ten minute period he looked to win it on his own.

This is why we won. We put the work into not letting their mids get easy ball, and then back in our better bookends to beat theirs.

This is why we have won the last few Showdowns and why Port struggle in Finals.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not giving his credit for his decision making but he’s owned it, has Nicks ever?
Pretty sure he came out and said he was wrong on Soligo last year. There are probably other examples.

He's obviously making some bad calls himself and I do question whether he does learn from them. However there's no way I'd want him to be following Hinckley's lead in any way.

Pretty sure he came out and said he was wrong on Soligo last year. There are probably other examples.

He's obviously making some bad calls himself and I do question whether he does learn from them. However there's no way I'd want him to be following Hinckley's lead in any way.
True there was that one, I discounted it because we had some posters say he it still wasn’t a mistake.

Nicks put all the blame on the players this year, no ownership for changing our gameplan or midfield mix

Remove this Banner Ad

Back