Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t seen our forwardline that open for while.
The McHenry open goal was quite clever by RoB.

Hberg was Rucking, RoB went forward and forced the match up on Esavra. Our group saw this and thought it odd RoB would go forward and stick to Esavra like this.

Then took Esavra down to the wing. Opened up the hole behind him for Rankine and McHenry to burst forward as soon as RoB got that handball out.

It was a good play.

My heart was in my mouth when Rankine chipped to McHenry though.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have to say I'm surprised at some of the negativity in this thread. Showdown wins aren't ever to be sneezed at. Yes they butchered shots on goal but we forced them into rushed kicks from bad areas. Our pressure was excellent. Our ball movement is getting back to 2023 standard. We seem to be building.

We're seeing excellent growth from at least half a dozen young players. Our defensive unit looks like it'll one day soon be capable of taking us deep into September. We're dangerous up forward. If we can snag a free agent mid or find a gem or two from the seconds, we should be a top four side in 2025.

Three Showdown wins in a row.

There's a lot to be positive about.

Last edited:

Amazing that our two KPDs for the next decade came for basically free too
going to be interesting what we do when Nick Murray is ready to go, was easily our best defender when he went down, now we have Keane, Butts and Worrel as our tall defenders, and if Curtain becomes what we think could be spoiled for choice. Nice problem to have.

Ports midfield stats look nice, but the pressure applied quelled their impact.

Butters 33 posessions looks cute. But he had no impact. The one play of note was a CBA handball out to JHF who put it I50 in the 3rd qtr.

90% of Butters disposal was rushed due to our pressure. DE% 64%. Ross Lyon tightened up on him last week DE% 63% and again no impact. But pretty good raw disposal stats.

Connor was injured.

We respected Drew's ability and pressured him as well.

JHF the only concern. But they needed him up forward so his midfield influence was quelled by that. For a ten minute period he looked to win it on his own.

This is why we won. We put the work into not letting their mids get easy ball, and then back in our better bookends to beat theirs.

This is why we have won the last few Showdowns and why Port struggle in Finals.

Butters disposal was pretty awful. He looks a million bucks hitting the ball at pace then he kicks it. Thought Port worked nicely around stoppage though, looked a touch slicker with their clearance work but maybe that was just grass is greener stuff.

Port always have a heap of I50s, clearances, contested ball etc... problem is they are so bloody inefficient going forward (our defenders also did well to make them take shots from tough positions, a few rushed behinds too). They are the 16th most accurate team in the comp, last night wasn't a once off. It's been their issue for years under Ken.

Being more efficient than your opponent is what wins games of footy, which is exactly what we did last night (and against Carlton). Sydney for example had basically the same number of I50s as the Hawks last week, but were kicking goals basically every 2nd entry and ended up winning by 12 goals.

Our scoring efficiency is what won us so many games in 2023, I am very happy to see that back in recent weeks!
Their forward line is a mess.

They really need to trade one of Marshall/Georgiades and look to bring in a more agile medium forward.

Their small forwards are shit too. McIntee is worse than McHenry even.

JHF? 15 disposal, 2 goals and 1(!) tackle? That JHF?

He had some high impact moments. Especially early on, and then went missing. He was a long way for ports best.
He was Port's best player because the only time they threatened to win, and they looked good, he was heavily involved.

The rest of the game we were well in front.

The difference between looking at disposal stats vs real impact on a game.

Tim Ginevar gets it in his 3,2,1.

Sog
Worrell
JHF.

Worrell was massive for us. He is a key reason all their shots were rushed and their key forwards got no clean ball despite the battery of i50s.

Nice of Ginever to see that.

He was Port's best player because the only time they threatened to win, and they looked good, he was heavily involved.

The rest of the game we were well in front.

The difference between looking at disposal stats vs real impact on a game.

Tim Ginevar gets it in his 3,2,1.

Sog
Worrell
JHF.

Worrell was massive for us. He is a key reason all their shots were rushed and their key forwards got no clean ball despite the battery of i50s.

Nice of Ginever to see that.

Worrell been super impressive the last 3 weeks I reckon. Has just built this year week on week & growing in confidence. How many games is he up to now?

Ugly. In that 4th quarter Port broke through our defenses repeatedly, with multiple shots on goal. If half of those had been accurate, we'd have lost.

Yup. Even watching our ball movement in the early stages of the last quarter - we were in a full blown panic by that stage. Lots of long down the line and slow play and not looking to switch and attack. We did have some form of system in the first half - seeing we were cutting through the corridor and picking through Ports defense when we were attacking, but it got ground out of us in the second half.

I think that's probably the major concern at the moment - and it's been there all year. Take away the corridor and you strangle Adelaide's ball movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I'm glad but to see Marshall and Georgiades just not come on so good must be frustrating for Port fans as Fog is for us
Mitch is only 22 and coming back from a year off with a knee injury, he was averaging 2 goals a game this season before last night, I think he will still develop into a fine player. Todd however is 25 and seems to have gone backwards since 2022

Good to see our skills getting back up there, not as many horrible kicks.

thought Nank was good, takes the wrong option at times, but that will come with more games.

I would like to see everytime Rachelle kicks a goal, he then goes straight into the next centre bounce.

Yup. Even watching our ball movement in the early stages of the last quarter - we were in a full blown panic by that stage. Lots of long down the line and slow play and not looking to switch and attack. We did have some form of system in the first half - seeing we were cutting through the corridor and picking through Ports defense when we were attacking, but it got ground out of us in the second half.

I think that's probably the major concern at the moment - and it's been there all year. Take away the corridor and you strangle Adelaide's ball movement.
How much of that was due to the 5-day turnaround, after playing in Hobart? How much of it was a desire to play low-risk football, protecting the lead we had already established? How much of it was Port cutting off the corridor, compared with Adelaide's not going there in the first place?

Good: Just about everything really!

Soligo superb, couldn't have done more to embody the spirit of peak Sloane in that game. Sholl a great game after people on this board said he couldn't do it against a decent team. Hopefully those who are watching Jones realise he's essentially a tagger, especially around the contest in the forward half. Did his best work up the ground helping the HF's apply pressure.
Could say something decent about everyone really. Curtin was on DBJ for a lot of the 1st half and BJ barely got a look in. Smith as sub for Curtin would have been the plan from the get-go, Curtin looked to be slowing, Smith equalling Curtin's total game pressure acts with only 17% game time. I had a good chuckle for a few people pointing out his 2 possessions, he was there to help lock the game down and apply defensive pressure, which he did.

Collectively our defence should have won the Showdown medal, Keane, Michalanney and Worrell immense. Geelong has built a dynasty based off the quality of its defence. Once Murray comes back and Butts makes way, will be freakishly good.

Bad: Himmelberg worked into the game but was missing in parts, same for McHenry. A few really big moments for him, but also more fumbles and unforced errors. Really not sure he's ever going to get that polish to his game. Cook went back into his shell a little bit for me, didn't see as much of that manic workrate that we all saw for the first time last week. He HAS it, just need to get some consistency now.

It's 3 times in a row Hinkley has been out-coached, for all the Nicks haters there's no way else to look at it. Cut off the middle of the ground, forced long balls into the F50 which we ate up, and the chances they did get were far out or on the boundary. We showed that we didn't need to cut off F50 entires, we needed to cut off the quality going I50. We saw it once with Houston getting a good run through the middle, and we didn't really see it again for the rest of the game. That's Port 101 (or 119?), and mark my words they've been found out.

Ugly: Port - It's wild how Hinkley is being branded in the media as 'brave' for coming out and admitting he got it wrong with Rozee. What absolute horse sh!t. The Hubris and arrogance to select Rozee after scans indicated he has hamstring damage, all so he can get a win on the board and put some fingers up in front of the camera, blew my mind. Heading into a game against Geelong I wonder whether he thought it was a risk they HAD to take, considering 5-4 next week sounds like the wheels coming off their season...

ABSOLUTELY EXCEPTIONAL: Adelaide backline

Max Michalanney: 20 Y.O - 30 games
Josh Worrell: 23 Y.O - 25 games
Dan Curtin: 19 Y.O - 1 game
Jordan Butts: 24 Y.O - 65 games
Mark Keane: 24 Y.O - 17 games
Mitch Hinge: 25 Y.O - 51 games
Luke Nankervis: 20 Y.O - 9 games

W.O.W.
The only issue I have with this is that Woz should be closer to 50 and Nank closer to 30.

Held both back way too long when blind Freddy watching the sanfl knew both could play.

I am a long way from Ned's biggest fan, but watching the replay now and he did have some decent plays last night as the link up guy between the arcs. A couple of classic Ned fumbles as well, but it was definitely his best game of the season. He's in miles better form than Lachie Murphy, who even looks below par at SANFL level atm.

Should go back to sub next week though and replace Smith with Schoenberg.

Worrell been super impressive the last 3 weeks I reckon. Has just built this year week on week & growing in confidence. How many games is he up to now?
He and MM look like 100 plus gamers.

Worrell with the extra size is an upgrade on Doedee playing the same role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back