Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone will point to the fact he had another 30 touches though…
Just no hurt factor, wanted to play midfield at Swans and they said no !!
He’s back to his old tricks, 30 touches, 150m gained,1 inside 50 - he does buggerall with the footy except go backwards- this isn’t new.

That's why I say it's a strange loss. If you list all the things wrong (like leaking 44 points from stoppages tonight: poor tackle count; so much dumb play; injuries; etc), and yet we still only lose by 6, it says we're not too far away. And that's what is frustrating for me. I think we have the talent, but system and footy IQ needs to improve... but I don't think it's insurmountable...
There’s a long way to go - this time last year - had we lost to * by 10 goals yet ?

Disappointing loss - but a long way off - all over like half the feathers here

How can you continue to pick a player who offers zero and has offered zero in every game this year? You can’t pick a team full of players who don’t touch the ball and then wonder why you get smacked all over the ground.

I know Kemp has his deficiencies but my god, how did Voss think Young was a better option, every time he had the ball he looked lost and every time the ball hit the deck near him, he was petrified to go near it.

Again a lot of effort by players like Acres, Hewett and Newman but the three of them butchered so many balls today.

I’m having a right old whinge here and to top it off Curnow was lazy and lacked intent if the ball wasn’t in the perfect spot.

Our team defence real poor again.

The only positive is that I think we have played really poor against Coll, Adelaide and Geelong, yet we are in the game until the last minute.
All spot on. People justified the Young selection so he could "play on the resting ruckman". Really?

So he could occasionally punch the ball away from the least dangerous forward on the ground? I would actually back Kemp in to do a better job in those aerial contests anyway.

But then you factor in how much we lose at ground level (Young literally just stands there looking at the ball at his feet) and exiting D50 (Young again literally just stands there when he has the ball, doesn't even get back off the mark) and the non-selection of Kemp is bordering on criminal.

Only here to offer congrats for a cracking game. The umpiring and bad decision making were hot topics on our board too. Feels like we’re both in it again this year.

Looking forward to doing this all over again, hopefully in finals. Would be an epic Prelim

Excuse us, we’re just melting right now. Not because the result was unjust, but because we’re so damn sick of losing in the same ways for the same reasons to the same bloody teams. Enjoy the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delusional if you think the umpires were a factor in our loss.

Delusional if you think they weren't.

We lost by a goal.

In the last two minutes Cripps should have had a free kick that was paid all night for being held. If paid they don't get the goal that immediately follows from that stoppage.

Immedisfely following the goal they boot the ball out of bounds 20m away from the nearest Collingwood player. They'd paid that consistently all night.

The absolute best case scenario from the umpiring is that they robbed us of an opportunity to get the goal back and our dumb footy would have squandered it anyway.

If they're going to let Moore hold all night then they can give us the two goals they gifted because of the frees they paid against Williams.

Last edited:
That was shithouse.

We’re not real contenders until we fix a number of issues:
  • shit ball use coming out of D50 - we killed ourselves and put teammates under pressure multiple times
  • ability to defend turnover
  • find some quality small forwards - or just get Martin/Fogarty/Moltop back. Durdin and Fantasia may as well have not been out there and it showed with how easy Collingwood moved the ball from their D50
  • stop bombing long to Charlie and H every single time - teams know we are going to do it, if they don’t mark it we don’t have the quality smalls to win enough of those contests so they rebound out with ease
  • find some smarter/better ball users in general - there are too many poor/average kicks in this team and two weeks running we have been cut up by sides who have better ball users across the park

I don’t know what the **** was wrong with our stoppage set ups tonight but the amount of times we allowed the likes of Hill/Crisp/Daicos to run straight through the stoppage from behind the contest completely unimpeded was infuriating. How ****ing hard it is to put an arm
across??

Very very disappointed

Also, Curnow's 'efforts' competing for 50-50 balls are appalling. Costs us time and again with his lack of interest in halving a contest.
Frankly Charlies efforts week in week out this year are as good an indicator as any that we have a long way still to go before becoming a serious football club

Curnow playing from behind the whole game. Not good enough.

Fantasia and Williams need to be dropped to the twos.

I thought Harry and Weitering were good.

Hopefully we can bounce back next week.

Delusional if you think they weren't.

We lost by a goal.

In the last two minutes Cripps should have had a free kick that was paid all night for being held. If paid they don't get the goal that follows.

Immedisfely following the goal they boot the ball out of bounds 20m away from the nearest Collingwood player. They'd paid that consistently night.

The absolute best case scenario from the improving is that they robbed is of an opportunity to get the goal back and our dumb footy would have squandered it anyway.

If they're going to let Moore hold all night then they can give us the two goals they gifted because of the frees they paid against Williams.

We should definitely be asking the AFL for clarification on what exactly the umpires think constitutes legal play against Cripps. Gets monstered every game and gets very little usually.

What can you say? Our sh.. football is so sh.. it's laughable. Trouble is that we see the extremes in the same game far too often.

Fantasia (atm) is the worst player to pull on a Carlton jumper since Warnock.
I think I could have more impact in the stands than Fantasia has on the ground. That isn't a like for like comparison.

Are you kidding. Weitering is all about himself. Has been his entire career. When he decides to come off his man he misses. That’s because he’s so focussed on the one thing. The guy can be so much better. He’s not a top 20 defender in the league because he plays himself.
I read it three times to look for green font or a hint of irony.

I'm passionate about free speech, but I'm struggling here...

Also, Curnow's 'efforts' competing for 50-50 balls are appalling. Costs us time and again with his lack of interest in halving a contest.
Yup. And it's not just this game in isolation, been seeing it for a while now.

Half-hearted efforts from one of our supposed leaders just doesn't cut it.

Not sure if he's carrying an injury.

Back