Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss said Marchbank & McGovern are ready - that will help
I dont understand Voss and MCs ranking of the defenders

Weiters
Gov
Kemp
March
Young
Durdin

Stop putting Marchbank ahead. If he has continuity maybe he will overtake Kemp but he should be forced to find it in the VFL.

Back Kemp in ffs.

Well coached vs poorly coached

Another year of the premiership window going to waste with a proven failed coach
We doing this again are we. We can't be one week praising Voss and the next wanting his head. Some perspective is needed. He's not perfect, but he's got us thereabouts and that's more than we can say for any other recent coach we've had. I'd also be questioning the line coaches as much as anything.

We tweak a few things correctly the wins will start rolling in again. We're not easy beats and it takes the opposition to play out of their skins and roll back extremely hard defensively and offensively to combat our weapons. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pies lose next week (disclaimer: haven't looked who they are playing).

We looked exhausted from the half way point of the second quarter last night. We held the ball for too long and overposessed at critical points.

We scored 50% of the time we went in. I don't know why people are shitting on our small forwards this game in partcular, there's not much they could have done. It was very rarely loose to be crumbed in the F50. They flooded and spread like Geelong and Adelaide did.

I am as frustrated, angry and disappointed as the next person but we're melting a little too hard.

Lastly, I am by no means blaming the umpires for our loss, but that was ****ing piss poor last night. There's vision of Cripps in the second quarter literally sandwiched between two blokes unable to move because one is standing in front and the other behind. How is that not a block? He was also held all night. Curnow was held all night. Crisp throws the ball in front of the umpire while being tackled which turns in to a shot on goal or goal (I can't remember). I would definitely being showing that vision and asking the question.

I don’t think we’re s**t at all, but we have some glaring issues on field and in the coaches box that will most likely get found out if we make it there again.
I would be more willing to engage if you weren't so steadfast on an opinion on something you have zero intel on? You seem to be speaking with such certainty on a topic that may not be your strong suit

Maybe the player is under pressure
Maybe the player has a low IQ and panicks
The coach is not out there actually playing

This is literally part of the role of the coach.

Coach the players to be better under pressure.

Raise the players football IQ in game and instill more poise into them.

The players are a reflection of the coaches systems and ability to elevate their players to higher standards.

There's vision of Cripps in the second quarter literally sandwiched between two blokes unable to move because one is standing in front and the other behind. How is that not a block?

Has anyone got an explanation for how this is allowed? I noticed our main mids most of the evening didn't even have a free arm at stoppages. Do the umps get drawn into thinking its a mutual wrestle and play on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is literally part of the role of the coach.

Coach the players to be better under pressure.

Raise the players football IQ in game and instill more poise into them.

The players are a reflection of the coaches systems and ability to elevate their players to higher standards.
So when we were on a roll at the end of last year, where you giving any credit to the coach ?

Only 38 inside 50s, -32 tackles, 9-21 tackles inside 50.

My kingdom for some quick mids/wingers and a genuine exciting, fleet of foot, hard working, roving small forward. All of our small forwards together make up 1 gun small forward, but take up 3 positions.
15 inside 50s inQ1
23 inside 50s across q2,3,4 horrendous

Two rucks works for collingwood because they only have 1 tall forward…our three talls up there couldn’t put any pressure on collingwood running it out…won’t matter what half forward mix we have
And makes it difficult to get marks inside 50….
no separation, no leads, often flying for the same ball, Durdin even flying with them….. its inevitably coming to ground to be swept away by better skilled & quicker opponents!!

Last edited:
I dont understand Voss and MCs ranking of the defenders

Weiters
Gov
Kemp
March
Young
Durdin

Stop putting Marchbank ahead. If he has continuity maybe he will overtake Kemp but he should be forced to find it in the VFL.

Back Kemp in ffs.
They clearly didn’t like the Kemp matchup for this game.

What are they seeing - poor decisions under pressure, lost against smalls?

Our backline needs foremost, surity & system & the ability to effectively rebound.

We are missing both.

Missing Saad - he give us both.

Missing Gov - he gives us both.

We will get better but these injuries costing us now.

outplayed and outcoached last night.
We’re a competitive team which hangs around games against most teams whether they’re good or not.

But we lack polish all over the ground, everything looks laboured, kicks don’t look flush, handballs not to advantage often enough, limited system to the naked eye.

Look how Collingwood beat us. Precision skills, mercurial finishing, taking the moments.

3 moments stand out at the punt road end.. bobby hill boundary side half a step kicks a blinder
Sidebottom fains a long kick … defence asleep pulls the kick to pendles who converts
Nick Daicos … half a yard … snaps it from the boundary from 40m to win the game.

I left the game thinking apart from Charlie Curnow on the ground last night we had no one capable of doing anything remotely out of the box. All of our play looks laboured and workman like.

We need Motlop and Martin in the forward line and Saad and McGov off half back but even then I feel as though we’re still missing enough spark.

I’m confident we’ll be competitive most weeks against most teams but I never feel like we have enough out there at the moment to create those 3 moments that Collingwood did to win that game.

They clearly didn’t like the Kemp matchup for this game.

What are they seeing - poor decisions under pressure, lost against smalls?

Our backline needs foremost, surity & system & the ability to effectively rebound.

We are missing both.

Missing Saad - he give us both.

Missing Gov - he gives us both.

We will get better but these injuries costing us now.
We should not be using injuries as a excuse, they had a similar number out.
We were ordinary at best for large periods of the game.
To progress we need to be top 4, l don't see that happening losing 3 out 4 is not going to put us in a position to be there.

Some strange selection decisions did not help, Fantasia is gone, has lost pace dramatically doubt he will play much more, Durdin how does he get two years extension, 1 year at best, does very little every game.

We should not be using injuries as a excuse, they had a similar number out.
We were ordinary at best for large periods of the game.
To progress we need to be top 4, l don't see that happening losing 3 out 4 is not going to put in a position to be there.
If we go 1-1 in our next 2, we should be in the mix. Pretty much every top team plays each other in the next few weeks, so the top 4 will start to close up

Back