Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said the list is top 2 in the comp. They are going to win games even if a 5 year old is sitting in the coaches box.
What an ignortant statement. We could never compete with the top teams under Teague

There's a bit to work on.
We were outworked defensively & skill execution was a killer.
Charlie is a concern, workrate isn't anywhere near where it needs to be & his play limits the ability for others to get involved.
If he's compromised, change his role & open up space for others to work.

massively needing mots, fog and Martin back in that forward line!
Fantasia and durds will need to go back to the twos and earn there spot, they’ve had there chances and not taken them!

And we need more quicker player rotations through the middle! It’s glaring!! Missing mots and fog who can provide this. Now cuners is back he needs to be spending time in there.
Vossy needs to get more creative through the middle once we regain some troops imo

What do people think, is our game plan to actually kick it long to our talls? Curious what others think?

If I look collectively over the 8 games this year, every week we try to transition the ball forward through long kicks. It seems because we have 3 fantastic marking tall forwards that this is our default way of moving the ball or plan A. This is often mimicked in our i50 forward entries which is to kick it to the same talls and either mark or bring to ground for our smalls to go to work.

If this is our gameplan, it simply isn't working and needs to stop!! Do others agree?

Everytime we do this we become predictable and are getting scored against heavily. Last night the pies just kept setting up for the kick and then won the ball and rebounded FAST into our backline which gets caught out of position or with too much space to defend. The same thing happened against the cats the week before where other teams score easily against us and quickly from their backline whereas we have to grind and fight what feels like twice as much effort to score.

When we play our best footy, we don't have any of these long slow kicks or dump kicks, we are hitting up targets and moving the ball with speed or run and carry.

This seems so easy to spot but why do we never change it? This to me indicates its a deliberate plan that the coaches want us to use. Which to me is bayshit crazy! Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Agree 100%

That, and "small margins" sh1ts me no end

They are just outcomes
What about the bigger picture process
Poor selections
Poor sub
Poor decision making
Little or no variety
Kick out strategy that a 10 year old could work out. Option A...stupid 20m kick that achieves nothing...Option B...Long kick down the Northern side to a contest
Poor gameplan-our contested game played right into their hands. They waited and gang tackled us as we over handballed
We refused to switch play...do they realise the ground has a southern side as well as a northern side????

BUT, if Voss wants to talk "small things", play Binns instead of Fantasia, play Durdin as the sub and we probably win the game (all things equal)

Livid livid livid livid

Even if we do execute Option A we then execute Option B regardless anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

45 points against from stoppage. 16th over the season. The way Walsh and co disrespect their opponents at stoppages is hurting us. Or did daicos have 17 contested and 7 clearances because hes just better than Walsh and Walsh did pay attention to his man? I think it's far more likely that Walsh (and others) are either see ball get ball and overcommitting numbers or cheating expecting someone else to win it before they've won it. Don't care 'that we had to win the ball' Would've won the ball back if he's there to tackle daicos or win the ground ball. Instead of collapsing in where we already have numbers.
I’m assuming we over commit numbers, often players over commiting and having zero impact on the contest, allowing opposition players having lots of space.

I wouldn’t call Walsh a cheater

There's a bit to work on.
We were outworked defensively & skill execution was a killer.
Charlie is a concern, workrate isn't anywhere near where it needs to be & his play limits the ability for others to get involved.
If he's compromised, change his role & open up space for others to work.
I do wonder if he’s carrying a niggle ie ankle

Cincotta needs to play every week. Plays accountable and should get the opposition most dangerous player
I'm a big fan. Good size. Quick. Accountable. Disciplined.

Would play him every week, with Boyd, Newman, Weiters, McGovern and Saad. Williams has been ordinary this year, but will hopefully find some form. Cowan/Kemp as the 7th defender, depending on matchups.

I also think Cowan should be played the remainder of the year.

i am all for pitto being a huge improver and he’s been great in the ruck, but honestly, I want to see us play just TDK again.
Tdk Charlie H up front, it’s not it. Our entries and F50 structure are terrible with 2 big forwards let alone 3. It worked for us one game when TDK kicked 3.

This will probably get shot down cos pitto has been great for the clearance game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After quarter time, Pies changed the tempo of the game and we couldn't get it back on our terms

We lacked touch and composure in some crucial moments throughout the last 3 quarters

The lack of touch on an opponent at a stoppage and especially defensive half was concerning.

We really are missing the likes of Gov and Saad for their speed to close down on an opponent, breaking lines, overlap and usage. Perhaps this is an area Austin should focus on, for replacements in time

Most concerning was the type of ball movement, or lack thereof. The narrow lane strategy only works if we have plus numbers, but can hurt you if it's turned over

We need better movement options, taking the ball off the line, subtle changes of directions.

Can't remember too many times where we had the plus numbers on a counter, we just didn't work hard enough to get involved in those chains

What I don’t understand why did it take 3 quarters to work it out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a collective (coaches/fitness/players) we aren’t able to make changes and/or do it well enough against some oppo teams - crows are the typical type that exposes us …can obviously throw in filth and cats

We had 3 tall forwards to their ?

And miyocheck didn’t fire

It’s bewildering how we lost that.

Coaches need to identify it and sought it…we still have time for this season.

I do wonder if he’s carrying a niggle ie ankle
Potentially.
I've had concerns about him picking & choosing for a while.
He kind of reminds me of younger Jez Cameron where he kicks a few goals & it's all good, when he's capable of so much more.
If an injury is limiting him, he shouldn't be playing as the primary deep option as playing a relatively static role just provides a point of reference for the opposition defence to setup around & it clogs the main avenue to goal.

After quarter time, Pies changed the tempo of the game and we couldn't get it back on our terms

We lacked touch and composure in some crucial moments throughout the last 3 quarters

The lack of touch on an opponent at a stoppage and especially defensive half was concerning.

We really are missing the likes of Gov and Saad for their speed to close down on an opponent, breaking lines, overlap and usage. Perhaps this is an area Austin should focus on, for replacements in time

Most concerning was the type of ball movement, or lack thereof. The narrow lane strategy only works if we have plus numbers, but can hurt you if it's turned over

We need better movement options, taking the ball off the line, subtle changes of directions.

Can't remember too many times where we had the plus numbers on a counter, we just didn't work hard enough to get involved in those chains
This is a genuine question: how much is on the players (in the moment, and generally), and how much is on the coach(es)? What needs to happen for improvement (leaving aside certain players returning)?

I still believe Pitto and TDK adds positively to our setup, but only if one of Charlie or Harry push higher up the ground

Charlie needs to get on his bike way more when playing a resting ruckman

And, when Pitto is on the pine, I'd still like to see Harry doing some ruck work
Agree with all of this.
I feel we become very predictable at times.
Constant movement opens things up.

If we go 1-1 in our next 2, we should be in the mix. Pretty much every top team plays each other in the next few weeks, so the top 4 will start to close up
We have lost 3 of our last four, last year we lost approx 8 games in a row and in 2022 we only won 4 out of last 11 after being top 4 with 1st half of the season.
Until we become more consistent over the full season we are not top four material.
We have Melbourne & Sydney next two weeks, unless there is significant improvement l would not be counting them as wins.

Worked last night, then came home and watched it on replay. Felt pretty confident we would get the chocolates, we rarely seem to perform well, when we start as favourites. Agree with Soap, some of our younger player's looked like they had been drinking their own bath water all week.
Fly proved once again to be an excellent, tactical coach and all his plans worked a treat. Walsh tried hard as he always does, yet he always seemed under pressure and rushed every time he got the pill. Cripps was given a lot of attention, should have received a few more free kicks. Overall, our midfield looked flatfooted after quarter time.
Cerra and Cuners will be better for the run and with Saad and McGov back next week. We will be much better off. Liked the game of Cow, showed good courage a couple of times. Hope he keeps getting games.
Now Zilliams is injured, at least he should not be anywhere near our defence for a couple of weeks. I hate him back there.
Voss has his work cut out, to sort out our poor entries inside 50 and try needs to teach the player's to not be so predictable. Our ball movement always seems to be in a straight line towards goal. Need to change the angles and look to different options.
Fanta has lost his bubble, needs to be axed. Young can join him in the magoos. Kennedy should have got a full game, although we did look very slow last night. Maybe Billy Wilson could debut soon, this team needs more speed.

Back