Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish. Forget the throwawy haircut line and address my substantive comments.
In fact, I don't believe that he plays with confidence on the field. He is oftentimes slow in decision making and unsure of himself. I would like to see him play with more speed and confidence.
Nobody is saying he is perfect, but he is doing some nice things each week and starting to become much more consistent with his effort and contribution each week. He has the ability to rip a game apart and in my opinion will be that big game player that will win a game of his own boot on many occasions.

You have mentioned a few times that he is slow to dispose of the ball and often gets caught holding the ball. I would much rather he takes a bit longer to find a good option than just throwing it on to the boot without looking and turning it over. He is still getting used to the speed of the game and that quick decision making will improve.

You said he is slow and lacks courage, I disagree with both. He has shown he has good pace when he bursts away from the pack and take away the 2 howlers the other week when he pulled out of the marking contest, I regularly see him crash a pack or go back into traffic for a mark.

He is 21 years old and yet to play 50 games. He still has plenty to work on but I'm happy with how he is progressing and am excited for his future with us.

In credit to McHenry, his work in setting up the Tex goal was one of his better pieces of play in his career, not only by causing the turnover, but he also made the team decision to stop running for the handball receive and instead got cleaned up laying the shepherd.
One thing missed in this play was who made the pressure act which forced the handball out that McHenry intercepted.

Without that pressure by ROB, the Port player wouldn't have been forced into that option.

The ugly? The umpire stuffing up another hit the post call.

This time, the system fixed it because he accidentally called it a goal. So no one is making a big deal about it. But, again, the umpire confidently made a call when he should have referred it for review.
Due to excess of score reviews early this season, AFL directive has came out to tell the goal umps in those situations go with the goal and let the review happen.

Any of the us sports have full time umpires?
You'd bloody hope so with how many games there are.

You'd expect the same with NHL and MLB too tbh.

Bad

Rory lairds decision making..

Here’s one of the many examples of this..

Laird takes a mark just outside the 50 from a rushed port kick out of defense…
Has 4 crows players in a perfect little pocket inside the 50 that he could easily jab kick the ball into..

View attachment 1978521

Instead.. he goes the long, slow, predictable loopy kick to Tex.. who, by the time the ball gets there, ends up in a 3 on 1..

View attachment 1978522

Turnover.

Garbage footballer.
To be honest. Other than Smith, McHenry, Rachelle, Rankine, Walker, Jones and MAYBE Michalaney I'd have no confidence in anyone hitting that kick (And even then, Smith, Rachele and Jones all probably **** it up anyway). With player positions It'd be very hard for a lefty to hit it with the mark and the player underneath. And anyone else trying it, wouldn't have the penetration in the kick to get it there without Ratagolea coming in and breaking up the contest.

For Laird, going one-on-one deep is probably actually the best option. Would you rather a 50/50 20m out, or a 30/70 35m out.

I admit. If someone who can hit a low hard kick on their right foot (Hinge, Dawson, Crouch and Worrall are all capable, but probably struggle with where the mark is for their left foot) you do as you suggest every single time. But for someone with Laird's capabilities. The correct decision was made.

Yeah just when you thought we were calling for a clean out of coaches..

They point out they’ve got Lobbe and Hartlett as coaches Holy cow
Same issue as us and the WA teams.

Need to get someone to live in Adelaide/Perth first. Or be rejected by the 10 Vic clubs.

Coaching panels of all four clubs made up of ex club players or guys who grew up in that State.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest. Other than Smith, McHenry, Rachelle, Rankine, Walker, Jones and MAYBE Michalaney I'd have no confidence in anyone hitting that kick (And even then, Smith, Rachele and Jones all probably **** it up anyway). With player positions It'd be very hard for a lefty to hit it with the mark and the player underneath. And anyone else trying it, wouldn't have the penetration in the kick to get it there without Ratagolea coming in and breaking up the contest.

For Laird, going one-on-one deep is probably actually the best option. Would you rather a 50/50 20m out, or a 30/70 35m out.

I admit. If someone who can hit a low hard kick on their right foot (Hinge, Dawson, Crouch and Worrall are all capable, but probably struggle with where the mark is for their left foot) you do as you suggest every single time. But for someone with Laird's capabilities. The correct decision was made.
Bullshit..

Even I couldve made that short jab kick into the middle of those 4 crows players..

All wouldve been 4m ball side of their powa opponents.. and if you look closely you can even see one of those 4 powa players has his back to the play and wouldnt have seen it coming..

Three of the crows four players just would've needed to run a block on the powa players.

There was shitloads of space to execute it.

And the result is a shot on goal from 40m out straight in front. Game sealer.

Laird just isn't good enough.. which is a damning indictment given the club sees him as one of their premier midfielders..

Due to excess of score reviews early this season, AFL directive has came out to tell the goal umps in those situations go with the goal and let the review happen.
I think it’s probably fair if it they’re going to call a goal and it can be reviewed, but the AFL should have a system where if the soft call is a goal it goes back to set up for a ball up. At least that way the game can flow and we have confidence in the umpire.

IN this situation I think the umpire was clearly oblivious that it hit the post and got the call wrong.

Come over to the main board...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They know. Just like AFL umpires know. There is replay and the officials talk to each other. US sports there are a lot more stoppages in play.

Its still an "unwritten / not-talked about" standard, well it was until a ref got caught on a hot mic saying how he wished he gave a "F'n penalty' to a team earlier in the game. This ref had officiated 1300+ games and 90 playoff games and ended up getting canned.

They call it game management and I am here for it. I think that all players really want is consistency within a game - not even within the overall rules. If you have an official who is going to call every minor break of the rules, players dont mind - as long as they do it consistently.
If they know they should make the right decision in the first place.
Still reckon it’s a slippery slope.

The ideal move would have been for Laird to have faked the long bomb to the goal square that all the Port players were expecting and instead kicked it long (and ideally low) 45 degrees to the left to the Crows player left on his own 30m out on a 30 degree angle (Jones).

The late, long, high, dumb, kick forward to an outnumbered Tex was really disappointing …. but expected.

Fun fact pinched from Port Board... apologies GROTTO

Port apparently have not won a Showdown without Robbie Gray in over a decade - since round 3, 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back