Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Just about everything really!

Soligo superb, couldn't have done more to embody the spirit of peak Sloane in that game. Sholl a great game after people on this board said he couldn't do it against a decent team. Hopefully those who are watching Jones realise he's essentially a tagger, especially around the contest in the forward half. Did his best work up the ground helping the HF's apply pressure.
Could say something decent about everyone really. Curtin was on DBJ for a lot of the 1st half and BJ barely got a look in. Smith as sub for Curtin would have been the plan from the get-go, Curtin looked to be slowing, Smith equalling Curtin's total game pressure acts with only 17% game time. I had a good chuckle for a few people pointing out his 2 possessions, he was there to help lock the game down and apply defensive pressure, which he did.

Collectively our defence should have won the Showdown medal, Keane, Michalanney and Worrell immense. Geelong has built a dynasty based off the quality of its defence. Once Murray comes back and Butts makes way, will be freakishly good.

Bad: Himmelberg worked into the game but was missing in parts, same for McHenry. A few really big moments for him, but also more fumbles and unforced errors. Really not sure he's ever going to get that polish to his game. Cook went back into his shell a little bit for me, didn't see as much of that manic workrate that we all saw for the first time last week. He HAS it, just need to get some consistency now.

It's 3 times in a row Hinkley has been out-coached, for all the Nicks haters there's no way else to look at it. Cut off the middle of the ground, forced long balls into the F50 which we ate up, and the chances they did get were far out or on the boundary. We showed that we didn't need to cut off F50 entires, we needed to cut off the quality going I50. We saw it once with Houston getting a good run through the middle, and we didn't really see it again for the rest of the game. That's Port 101 (or 119?), and mark my words they've been found out.

Ugly: Port - It's wild how Hinkley is being branded in the media as 'brave' for coming out and admitting he got it wrong with Rozee. What absolute horse sh!t. The Hubris and arrogance to select Rozee after scans indicated he has hamstring damage, all so he can get a win on the board and put some fingers up in front of the camera, blew my mind. Heading into a game against Geelong I wonder whether he thought it was a risk they HAD to take, considering 5-4 next week sounds like the wheels coming off their season...

Really good analysis enjoyed it thank you

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching the replay, there's no way you can look at Rachele's game and say it was bad.

He was impactful with and without the ball. Important to our win.

I think the thing with Rachele is that his errors seem really to stick out? But his positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

McHenry also crucial in our first quarter to get the early lead. Again, on and off the ball. Obviously dropped off (perhaps to net zero?), but when the heat was on early he did what he needed to. Not sure there are many in the team who would give that shepherd to Tex.
The lad takes the game on.. gets caught holding it sometimes.. but takes the game on.

He does everything he can to try and use the ball effectively. Doesnt want to waste it.

Gotta rate that from a young player..

I’d take 10 of josh’s possessions over 20 of Laird’s “I’ll just kick and hope and make it someone else's problem” stat padding shite everyday of the week.

Rachele still has a lot of development and maturing to do.. he’ll be an absolute gun by 24-25 years old..

Bad

Rory lairds decision making..

Here’s one of the many examples of this..

Laird takes a mark just outside the 50 from a rushed port kick out of defense…
Has 4 crows players in a perfect little pocket inside the 50 that he could easily jab kick the ball into..

IMG_0396.jpeg

Instead.. he goes the long, slow, predictable loopy kick to Tex.. who, by the time the ball gets there, ends up in a 3 on 1..

IMG_0397.jpeg

Turnover.

Garbage footballer.

The lad takes the game on.. gets caught holding it sometimes.. but takes the game on.

He does everything he can to try and use the ball effectively. Doesnt want to waste it.

Gotta rate that from a young player..

I’d take 10 of josh’s possessions over 20 of Laird’s “I’ll just kick and hope and make it someone else's problem” stat padding shite everyday of the week.

Rachele still has a lot of development and maturing to do.. he’ll be an absolute gun by 24-25 years old..

It took Toby Greene at least 4-5 years before he actually became consistent and elite.

Feel Rachele is on that similar trajectory.

Decent team with Himmelberg in?..

How does anyone in their right mind come to this conclusion?..
Forget the other reasons why we've been better the last 2 weeks. Just answer this one - have we been a decent team for the last 2 weeks? Your answer is obviously yes, ergo, we are capable of being a decent team with Berg included in the side (which contradicts the assertion I was responding to).
Having himmelberg in has had sweet fxxk all to do with it.
... which alone is an admission that the assertion I responded to was garbage.
What we should be doing is playing burgess. He was pretty bloody good in our first couple of games, one of our best forwards, before mysteriously being dropped.. the whole team was shite in those first weeks. And yet he looked good.

Be very interesting to see how burgess would go in the team now that its going a bit better..
No way. Himmelberg has been massively better than Burgess, and our objective remains playing finals. We're a better chance of doing that with Berg in the team, than we are with Burgess.

Burgess was tried and found wanting - that's why they replaced him with Gollant, who also failed to impress.
We are now seemingly wasting games on Himm.. bewildering given Himm will be off to GWS as a FA at years end..

A free agent that wont be getting us decent compo regardless of how much we play him.. gws with their salary cap squeeze wont have much on the table for him..

So… why are we wasting games on a bloke thats checked out and of little value?

Yet another fine example of this clubs dumb list management.
Because we're trying to win games, and coaches are expected to use all of the resources at their disposal to do so, regardless of whether or not those resources will still be available in the future. This short term thinking is incredibly dumb, particularly this early on in the season.

Your point would have some validity if it was round 20, and we were out of finals contention... but that is clearly not the case right now. Right now, they still have hope of playing finals, and should be doing everything in their power to make that happen - and that means selecting Berg ahead of Burgess & Gollant.

Last edited:
McHenry did well in the 1st half. 2nd half made some bad decisions and exposed his decision making.

I wouldn't say he was good, but was far from shite. The problem with being a whipping boy, is you are looking for when they stuff up but miss the contribution.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You have to be kidding, just about every time he got near the ball he fumbled it using up precious seconds. Good footballers are one grab players and in last nights game you don’t have that time!
He looks to me as he knows this and his confidence is sapping.

You have to be kidding, just about every time he got near the ball he fumbled it using up precious seconds. Good footballers are one grab players and in last nights game you don’t have that time!

Which is why a run in the 2s for a few weeks would be the best course

Run run run and get a feel of the ball with one touch again

We were coming off a five day break returning from Hobart…

If that's the problem, then we should sack Burgess for incompetence.

It's not like this game hasn't been on the calendar for months and it's not like the North's game was hot.

J
McHenry did well in the 1st half. 2nd half made some bad decisions and exposed his decision making.

I wouldn't say he was good, but was far from shite. The problem with being a whipping boy, is you are looking for when they stuff up but miss the contribution.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
McHenry had a good game, At the ground I sit behind goals at a 25 degree angle and he provided alot of link up run he tool the game on and yes when you do this you make some errors. Horne Francis did the same un his 14 possessions but no one mentions that because he has a bigger stature and is quick so his good acts stand out more . I actually thought he was one of our better players for much of the first half when the game was in the line. Jones on the other hand has good speed but rarely uses it with ball in hand and has become a crash n bash bang it on the boot defender.

The standout underperformer for the game was Cook --- 4 disposals, 2 marks and a goal.
That's hard to do in a team containing McHenry and Sholl :rolleyes:, but credit where due, Sholl was a contributor on the night.

Much has been said about McHenry's shepherd/block for Tex and our 3rd goal.
The best aspect was 30m back when McHenry showed great awareness to intercept/tap the Wines handball our way,
1714781168642.png

then run-on, collect and handball to Tex. Kudos! Great goal assist. REAL impact.
Much more of that, please.
But the follow-up and shepherd/block is FOOTY 101 and exactly what he should have done.
1714781669380.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our season is done and we need to start doing what we can to give us the best chance in 2025.

Our season is done?

They pay holding the ball against Draper, and we're outside the 8 on percentage.

We've come off a really tough schedule of games and we're facing some winnable ones.

I know it doesn't jive with those who were running with a "the lowest point in our history" narrative a couple of weeks ago, but things aren't disastrous.

McHenry had some excellent moments, including that intercept and handball to Tex, followed by the shepherd.

He also did some clumsy things, like always.

Well if Tim said it, who am I to disagree!

I watched the game live and JHF was good for a quarter then went missing and popped up at the end. Then I watched it on replay. And he was good and then went missing. The difference between the two was how much he got talked up on TV.

Most port players were ordinary, JHF was ok amongst a bund of sub par performers. But he was not Ports best. He ran ahead of the play to look flashy, but applied no pressure and went missing. So a classic port player.
They had to use JHF forward a fair bit because Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades weren't really impacting

Helped us restore the balance in the midfield as they threatened to take over towards the end of the first quarter

Watching the replay, there's no way you can look at Rachele's game and say it was bad.

I think the thing with Rachele is that his errors seem really to stick out? But his positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

McHenry also crucial in our first quarter to get the early lead. Again, on and off the ball. Obviously dropped off (perhaps to net zero?), but when the heat was on early he did what he needed to. Not sure there are many in the team who would give that shepherd to Tex.
Absolutely this. It wasn’t an outrageously good game, but I’d have him in our top 6 players. He did some very good things and instrumental in quite a few goals. He also had some face palm moments which tend to stick out, and he’s cocky (let’s not beat that out of him!). I think he’ll be elite when it all clicks for him.

Scholl another who was very good.

And as much as I hate to admit it, McHenry was serviceable. Played much better than I thought at the ground

Well if Tim said it, who am I to disagree!

I watched the game live and JHF was good for a quarter then went missing and popped up at the end. Then I watched it on replay. And he was good and then went missing. The difference between the two was how much he got talked up on TV.

Most port players were ordinary, JHF was ok amongst a bund of sub par performers. But he was not Ports best. He ran ahead of the play to look flashy, but applied no pressure and went missing. So a classic port player.
I was surprised how few possessions he had. He seemed to be at every contest in the first and had a purple patch in the last. That may have been part of it- he was contesting a lot but didn’t take possession, still puts him front and centre to the action tho so looks like he’s involved.

Disappeared in the middle 2 quarters when the game was there to be won.

Laird loves handballing to stationary teammates as well. No one else in our team does this but him
Seems silly to say this about a veteran but he seems a bit low on confidence at the moment

Rushing

Usually his in close work and hands are good but lately he's selling teammates into trouble with poor handball options as you said. Not absorbing pressure or calm in traffic, picking poor options

Maybe just feeling the looming shadow of Father time. Slipped back a couple of percent physically, tiny bit slower.

He's always been an up and under kicker but he's genuinely throwing it on the boot in a panic now, without looking whatsoever, worried about getting caught with it.

The standout underperformer for the game was Cook --- 4 disposals, 2 marks and a goal.
That's hard to do in a team containing McHenry and Sholl :rolleyes:, but credit where due, Sholl was a contributor on the night.

The best aspect was 30m back when McHenry showed great awareness to intercept/tap the Wines handball our way,
View attachment 1978655

then run-on, collect and handball to Tex. Kudos! Great goal assist. REAL impact.
But the follow-up and shepherd/block is FOOTY 101 and exactly what he should have done.
View attachment 1978656

That was probably THE play of McHenry's career...

The level of football IQ he displayed exceeded my wildest expectations.

I dare say it could be a very long time (if at all) we see Ned do something as productive as that.

:$

Agreed, Rachele is putting together a solid season so far. He seems to be playing more consistently than previous seasons where he would have some great games and then go missing for a few weeks (which is understandable being so young).

He may not be having as many highlights this season but he is still playing well and contributing each week.

I think some people are expecting too much from him as we have seen what he is capable of when he lights it up. And some seem to hold him to a higher standard as he is very confident and likes to celebrate his goals. He is only going to get better from here and I can see him being a very good player for us in the next few years.

View attachment 1978655

View attachment 1978656
Was Wines actually playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back