Shockdown

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2008
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, EFL
Seeing the guitar thread of this thought Id see peoples view on best drummer youve heard/seen!

For me I love listening to Chris Adler of Lamb Of God, the stuff he does is incredible...

followed by:
John "Bonzo" Bonham of Led Zepplin
Neil Peart of Rush
Joey Jordison of Slipknot
Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater

Danny Carey
Josh Freese
Matt Cameron
Mike Portnoy
Tomas Haake
Vinnie Colaiuta
Virgil Donati
Thomas Lang
Dennis Chambers
Gene Hoglan

Max Roach for small jazz bands. Buddy Rich for a bigger band.

The best that I have seen live are Jim White from The Dirty Three and jazz drummer, Jeff 'Tain' Watts.

Both amazing time keepers while managing to play incredible rythms.

This is my kind of thread :)

When you get to the top level there is not really one 'best' drummer, but guys who appeal to you musically. Personally, to me that's Gavin Harrison. I've been a fan of his for many years but he's only starting to develop a following in the drumming circles recently which is long overdue. Absolutely magnificent player, he's pretty much got it all - amazing technical ability with sublime taste and musical creativity. If I could be any drummer, it would be him. He's like the tasteful cocktail of Vinnie, Porcaro and Thomas Haake, any drummers out there should check him out.

Other than that there's the obvious guys like Vinnie Coliauta, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Gadd, Carter Beauford, Virgil, Dennis Chambers and Buddy Rich. All big influences in their own way.

Then to a lesser extent my 'older' inflluences of guys like Portnoy, Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Nicko McBrain, Bonham, etc who I've listened to ad neaseum I almost can tell what they are going to play next. Still love them though.

Other than that there are some more lesser known drummers who are serious guns who I've been getting into:

Kai Hahto
Derek Roddy
Sami Kuoppamäki
Bobby Jarzombek
Tomen Stauch
Jason Rullo
Yanic Bercier
Thomas Pridgen

There's heaps more, I could go on and on... but Gavin is my favourite anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many, i like Captain Beefhearts music. He had about 3 or 4 different drummers in his magic band. All great. John Drumbo French was one.

Others whose music i get.

John Bonham
Martin Chambers
Phil Rudd
Nick Knox
Keith Strickland
Brent De Boer
Richard Harvey

James Baker, especially on Leilani

[YOUTUBE]qtqu95pb2ZA[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]qtqu95pb2ZA[/youtube]
YES!

I'm glad someone thinks so!

Probably one of the best punk drummers there has been. As tight as a fish's rectum, and a nice and funny guy to boot. :thumbsu: A very good songwriter as well.

Here he is playing on countdown without a kickdrum, and with pieces of dowel for drumsticks, because they didn't have any... LMAO!

[YOUTUBE]6RyOQf0AoFc[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a fan of Michael Barker (The John Butler Trio). Does a realy good 10 minute drum solo every concert, and most of his drumming is interesting to listen to, instead of just being generic beats.

So many, i like Captain Beefhearts music. He had about 3 or 4 different drummers in his magic band. All great. John Drumbo French was one.

Others whose music i get.

John Bonham
Martin Chambers
Phil Rudd
Nick Knox
Keith Strickland
Brent De Boer
Richard Harvey

[youtube]qtqu95pb2ZA[/youtube]
Love that track.

Bob Bennett from the Sonics is my favourite drummer.

[YOUTUBE]v9Ys1nTdEjE[/YOUTUBE]

I was actually youtubing some drummers last night! If you want to see somme awesome drummers, Dennis Chambers and Buddy Rich are pretty unbelievable, some of the s**t Rich was doing i ain't seen before that's for sure!

Other notables off the top of my head:

Danny Carey (Tool)
Neil Peart (Rush)
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)
Chris Adler (Lamb Of God)
Nick Menza (formerly Megadeth)

Best live drummers I've seen are:

Dominic Howard - Muse
Zack Starkey (with Oasis)
Jeremy Gara - Arcade Fire
Liberty DeVitto - with Billy Joel

Vinnie Colaiuta
Abe Laboriel Jnr
Dennis Chambers
Stewart Copeland

Without a doubt the best I've seen -

Clem Burke of Blondie, just have a listen to his stuff next time you hear a Blondie song...outstanding

Slim Jim Phantom of the Stray Cats, what this guy can't do with a high-hat, symbol, kick and snare is not worth knowing

Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones, just a casual laid back guy who can hold one hell of a beat

oh, I forgot

Ronnie Tutt of Elvis Presley's Vegas Band, I met the bloke and he is a star who can adapt to any style at a whim

All drummers sound alike to me.

That might be because all drummers sound the same these days.

Get into some 70s music and hear the different snare ,cymbal ,tom ,kick drum sounds between different drummers.

If you want the drums to pretty much sound the same,listen to todays music.

I forgot about the old jazz legends,Joe Morello,Jimmy Cobb,Buddy Rich,Tony Williams,Billy Cobham.

The art of the drum sound is getting lost especially in modern rock music.

The world is becoming more and more about the guitarist and singer and the drummer is forgotten.

I suppose it's because of Virtual instruments and sampling used alot today.

Bonhams kick sound should be protected hehe-amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back