news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How scary would Rousey be with a decent striking coach
Someone like Henri Hooft
I dont think her having a better striking coach would make much difference. She will never be able to close the gap on the better strikers in her division.

Having a headcoach who knows how to come up with decent gameplans could make a massive difference tho.

I dont think her having a better striking coach would make much difference. She will never be able to close the gap on the better strikers in her division.

Having a headcoach who knows how to come up with decent gameplans could make a massive difference tho.
I don't think Edmond has shown himself to be a good gameplanner (or whoever is responsible for it at the gym). In the Holm fight it wasn't a problem with the gamplan though imo. The gameplan was to pressure Holm by closing the distance with strikes and to clinch up with her and take her down. They had a good gamplan. It's just that she wasn't able to implement that gameplan well. She wasn't able to because her footwork when pressuring is bad. She was able to get away with it against other fighters because they're not very good strikers and/or because they are at a ridiculous athletic disadvantage. I think Holm's been overrated as a striker by most, but she's still a good striker and she was able to compete athletically with Rousey.

I think Rousey would be a much better fighter today if she had been training with someone like Rafael Cordeiro. His fighters generally aren't technically brilliant strikers, but he gets them to improve their striking a lot. Something he's very good at is getting fighters to pressure really well. If Rousey had been training with Cordeiro for a while before the Holm fight she'd have stood a much better chance imo. The gameplan would have been the same. It's just that she'd have been far more equipped to put it into action effectively. Cordeiro also gets his fighters to be more confident strikers. Ellenberger wouldn't have KO'd Matt Brown if he was still training with Edmond imo.

At one stage not that long ago really, Pettis would have been a better striker than RDA. RDA's become a better striker than Pettis because of good coaching imo. Demian Maia's become a much better wrestler over the years. Something that is also the case is that his footwork to walk fighters down has become a lot better. That's something that he's improved with a striking coach.

Lineker/Dodson is on next weekend. That's a really fun fight.

Lineker missing weight all the damn time was annoying. I understood why he wanted to fight at flyweight at the time. I thought he was going to be in a lot of trouble at bantamweight because he'd be way smaller than his opponents. The size difference hasn't been anywhere near as much of an issue as I thought it'd be. Eventually it'll probably be a big problem. If he keeps winning and ends up fighting Cruz, that size difference against a great fighter will be really hard to overcome.

Lineker's become one of my favourite fighters. He's a little dude who wants to knock your head off or beat the crap out of your body every time he throws a punch.

Dodson's going to have to hurt Lineker badly or get takedowns if he wants to win. He could hurt Lineker. He hits really hard, but Linker had no problem taking Rivera and McDonald's punches and firing back with better strikes. If Dodson can't hurt Lineker or get a bunch of takedowns he'll get outworked by Lineker on the feet. Really looking forward to this fight.

I'm thinking about this fight because I just noticed this fight that the UFC put up on youtube. Insane fight between Lineker and Rivera.

Dodson's going to have to hurt Lineker badly or get takedowns if he wants to win. He could hurt Lineker. He hits really hard, but Linker had no problem taking Rivera and McDonald's punches and firing back with better strikes. If Dodson can't hurt Lineker or get a bunch of takedowns he'll get outworked by Lineker on the feet. Really looking forward to this fight.

Interesting, I think it's the exact opposite in that unless Lineker can knock him out Dodson should win comfortably. Both guys hit like trucks, but Dodson is faster, more well rounded and is more diverse in his strikes. Lineker could definitely turn his lights out, but I see Dodson controlling the exchanges and winning a late TKO. Should be a great fight.

Interesting, I think it's the exact opposite in that unless Lineker can knock him out Dodson should win comfortably. Both guys hit like trucks, but Dodson is faster, more well rounded and is more diverse in his strikes. Lineker could definitely turn his lights out, but I see Dodson controlling the exchanges and winning a late TKO. Should be a great fight.
If it stays on the feet for the majority of the fight and neither man hurts the other enough to finish, I think Lineker wins. It pretty much comes down to volume for me. Lineker's always throwing and Dodson's a fairly low volume striker. Dodson's willing to wait for the perfect strike and if it doens't land then I think Lineker will outpoint him.

Rizin was on today. Haven't watched much of it, but it looks like it was everything you expect from Japanese MMA. Both the good and the bad.

All the fights have been uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcvLoKAqdR2CpzgLpwElGYg/videos

Cruickshank/Souwer was a weird and interesting fight on paper. Either it stays standing and Souwer likely kicks Cruickshank's arse or it goes to the mat and Cruickshank dominates. It certainly went one of those ways.

That channel also has some Muay Thai & kickboxing fights from yesterday at Kunlun Fight 53. Sitthichai/Superbon and Buakaw/Salvador are a couple of interesting fights from that card.

Could all just be posturing, but Aldo has said he doesn't want to fight in the UFC anymore and wants his contract terminated.

Could all just be posturing, but Aldo has said he doesn't want to fight in the UFC anymore and wants his contract terminated.

Was just reading that. Hopefully it's just an overreaction to being made to wait longer to fight for the 145 belt again. It sounds like Conor is getting stripped if he beats Eddie at 205, so Aldo's next fight would likely be losing the interim tag anyway.

Hopefully Aldo really does retire. He's been underappreciated by fans and the UFC. He's been underpaid by the UFC. He's got nothing left to prove. He's putting his health on the line and isn't receiving what he puts in. Greatest featherweight of all time and one of the best fighters in MMA of all time. Doesn't have a lot to show for it. He can make money doing something where he's not putting his health at risk. He opened a restaurant or something and hopefully that goes well for him.

I really don't understand why I watch MMA sometimes. It's a ******* stupid sport where people enter a cage and beat each others heads in. It's good financially for a few fighters and a lot of non-fighters. 99% of fighters leave MMA worse than they come in. * this sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we all watch combat sports? For violence because we're all clearly a bit ****ed up. You can talk about technique and all that stuff, but when it comes down to it we watch it for the violence. We watch to see two people do violent things to each other for some reason. Other sports are violent, but there's a goal besides hurting your opponent. All combat sports are about is causing pain to your opponent.

I'm done with it. For years I've paid money to watch the UFC and all that it's done is make Dana White and his buddies richer while the majority of the fighters remain poor as *. These fighters leave with broken bodies, damaged brains and very little money to show for it. Meanwhile, Dana White is importing snow to his god damn house that is in a ******* desert.

Why do we all watch combat sports? For violence because we're all clearly a bit stuffed up. You can talk about technique and all that stuff, but when it comes down to it we watch it for the violence. We watch to see two people do violent things to each other for some reason. Other sports are violent, but there's a goal besides hurting your opponent. All combat sports are about is causing pain to your opponent.

I'm done with it. For years I've paid money to watch the UFC and all that it's done is make Dana White and his buddies richer while the majority of the fighters remain poor as ****. These fighters leave with broken bodies, damaged brains and very little money to show for it. Meanwhile, Dana White is importing snow to his god damn house that is in a ******* desert.

Really?

Why do we all watch combat sports? For violence because we're all clearly a bit stuffed up. You can talk about technique and all that stuff, but when it comes down to it we watch it for the violence. We watch to see two people do violent things to each other for some reason. Other sports are violent, but there's a goal besides hurting your opponent. All combat sports are about is causing pain to your opponent.

I'm done with it. For years I've paid money to watch the UFC and all that it's done is make Dana White and his buddies richer while the majority of the fighters remain poor as ****. These fighters leave with broken bodies, damaged brains and very little money to show for it. Meanwhile, Dana White is importing snow to his god damn house that is in a ******* desert.

Personally think we are wired to enjoy fighting... It's been going on since the start of time.

Just sleep on the post man...sleep on it

The reason i fell in love with this sport was a handful of the first fights i watched were brutal back and forth wars and as soon as the buzzer went two guys embraced each other with a ridiculous amount of respect. It seemed to me it was the essenece of man on man, 1 on 1 competition. The violence is apart of it, but its not what made me attracted to the sport.

The whole fighter treatment stuff annoys me, but i dont let it ruin the enjoyment i get out of watching the fights and the storylines that flow on from them anymore.

The fighters have had opportunitys to push back, organise and form a union/organisation.
It hasnt happened but eventually it will. It seems the fighters are to selfish to stick their necks out for one another because they assume their payday will come or there is the risk of repercussions.

If they arnt as concerned enough about it to take action, why should the fans continue worrying about it. Almost everytime you hear a fighter talk about conditions, pay or rights, it is usually to do with them, what they want and what they feel like they deserve as an individual. Not what is good for the collective.

Only a very small handful of fighters have even bothered to follow the PFA on twitter and I can only think of Julie Kedzie as the only fighter to come out and vocally support the cause.

I think you should probably relax about the issue, because getting upset about the treatment of someone like Al Iaquinta, while his fellow fighters and even teammates and coaches dont bother backing him up in public, why should fans.

Aldo has been treated extremely poorly. It's an absolute shame that it has come to this.

I just shake my head at the UFC sometimes. You can't treat a humble champion of the sport this way.

I just hope somehow the UFC comes up with some kind of compensation for him.

I wonder if the UFC could spiral downwards at a rapid pace sometime in the near-ish future, at the hands of greed, and disrespect towards the fighters.

Definitely an eye-opening and great stand by Aldo here, tho. Aldo, imo, is a terrific bloke and if he spoke English well he would have had a lot more support and a lot less negativity thrown at him.

The man's an absolute great of the sport!

Aldo has been treated extremely poorly. It's an absolute shame that it has come to this.

I just shake my head at the UFC sometimes. You can't treat a humble champion of the sport this way.

I just hope somehow the UFC comes up with some kind of compensation for him.

I wonder if the UFC could spiral downwards at a rapid pace sometime in the near-ish future, at the hands of greed, and disrespect towards the fighters.

Definitely an eye-opening and great stand by Aldo here, tho. Aldo, imo, is a terrific bloke and if he spoke English well he would have had a lot more support and a lot less negativity thrown at him.

The man's an absolute great of the sport!

Couldn't have said it better.
Was talking about this to a work mate today and how over the last 6 months the UFC imo is starting to go backwards. The 2 different set of rules based on how much money you bring into the company is slowly being seen by fans worldwide.

What's going on with Aldo, is he really retiring?

Seems so. Was reading earlier he said that if Dana called and said Conor wants a rematch he would decline. He also said he is done with mma...isn't interested in Rizin or bellator either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back