The Barefoot Investor

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone had much experience with The Barefoot Investor. I read his column in the paper and find he is pretty down to earth and sensible from those readings. Is anyone planning on buying his book or has read his old book or subscribed to his services?

Interested in your thoughts. Cheers in advance.

Has anyone had much experience with The Barefoot Investor. I read his column in the paper and find he is pretty down to earth and sensible from those readings. Is anyone planning on buying his book or has read his old book or subscribed to his services?

I'm a subscriber, and have bought the book, but haven't yet begun reading it.

I love his work. It gave me confidence to start investing. Rather than listening to a 'hot tip' or picking shares at random, I was able to take his advice and make the plunge.

I've had a lot of success with the stock picks this year despite missing some of his best recommendations.

Whilst I'm selling it as a 'stock picking service' it's not. It's a strategy which involves some recommendations.

I've heard good things from subscribers to his blueprint.

Nothing that you couldn't do yourself though without a bit of research, I doubt the rate of return would be much more than if you just put lump sums into an ETF considering the fee he charges.

A lot of his basic money advice is that - very basic. But that is what so many Australians need, and his book puts together all those building blocks to get people out of financial ignorance.

He does a bit of cherry picking with some stats but overall is good. He recommends people completely get rid of credit cards, which I do not agree with if you truly manage them well (ie never pay any interest).

(I think) he also recommends paying down smallest debts first, instead of the ones incurring the highest rate of interest. (To be fair, these can often be one and the same for people). Whilst from a numbers point of view this is not the best approach, he does approach money management from that emotional angle; getting a win on the board early will be encouraging for you. The concept of the 'Mojo' account similarly addresses the emotional relationship we have with finances.

I got a copy of his book and flicked through it. Most of it I already 'do', but I'm sure I'll find a couple of good tips. More than anything else, I bought it to share with friends and family who might not have those fundamentals bedded down yet.

Would make a good present for 16-30 year olds I recon.

Big fan

Read his first book straight out oh high school and it taught me lots.

His second one seems more of the same. (So far)

Is OK and a good writer and explains his points particularly and has reasonable rules of thumb.

However is prone to stating the bleeding obvious and when someone has a major issue his solution is to find a way to make more money or get a job, as if the thought never crossed people's minds.

Offers handy tips and good explanation but no real solid advice you'd take to the bank.

A lot of his basic money advice is that - very basic. But that is what so many Australians need, and his book puts together all those building blocks to get people out of financial ignorance.

He does a bit of cherry picking with some stats but overall is good. He recommends people completely get rid of credit cards, which I do not agree with if you truly manage them well (ie never pay any interest).

(I think) he also recommends paying down smallest debts first, instead of the ones incurring the highest rate of interest. (To be fair, these can often be one and the same for people). Whilst from a numbers point of view this is not the best approach, he does approach money management from that emotional angle; getting a win on the board early will be encouraging for you. The concept of the 'Mojo' account similarly addresses the emotional relationship we have with finances.

I got a copy of his book and flicked through it. Most of it I already 'do', but I'm sure I'll find a couple of good tips. More than anything else, I bought it to share with friends and family who might not have those fundamentals bedded down yet.

interestingly enough there have been a few studies into the most successful ways to get out of debt.
Paying the biggest balance, paying the highest interest, paying the smallest debt, maybe a couple of other weird options

Paying off the smallest debt works for a lot of people because they get quick results and don't get disheartened. Easy wins that sort of thing.

So if you had a 1k debt with a lower interest rate than a 2k debt for some people paying the one off first would then lead to paying the 2k debt off, trying to pay the 2k debt off first could lead to failure and not paying either off

Math is great by how people work is important to think about as well

Yeah, it's mostly simpleton type stuff, but financial literacy in Australia is woeful, so he knows his audience.

I don't get the credit card thing either. If you never carry a balance = win. You can pull out cash backs for necessities on Amex connect and small shop = win. You can collect points fast on signup bonuses = win. And you can avoid fees by always jumping to first year fee waived cards = win.

Yeah, it's mostly simpleton type stuff, but financial literacy in Australia is woeful, so he knows his audience.

I don't get the credit card thing either. If you never carry a balance = win. You can pull out cash backs for necessities on Amex connect and small shop = win. You can collect points fast on signup bonuses = win. And you can avoid fees by always jumping to first year fee waived cards = win.

That might work for you and me, but plenty do pay plenty of interest.

Credit cards wouldn't exist otherwise

spot on.
I'm a Bank Manager and lot of what he says makes sense however some things he is too militant about.
credit cards aren't all bad, why you would travel o/s and not have one as a back up is dumbfounding and a lot of the accounts he recommends are fee free but can be very impractical. e.g. Ing and ME bank seem to be his big go-to's for accounts and lending etc. this is all well and good however they do not have branches and are essentially online banks. you have an issue with an account e.g. fraud or a direct debit that you've cancelled that keeps coming out (think ANY gym) and they can't and wont help you. having a bank with branches, you are able to talk face to face to get a resolution.
having said that, there are fee free accounts at all banks, getting your salary paid into the account results in fee free and if you pay interest on a credit card then unfortunately that is your mismanagement.
i have heard horror stories of customers having all sorts of issues with online banks that have caused them significant financial loss. one that springs to mind is a customer of mine that had a term deposit of around $1.3m, we lost that funds to rabobank because we could only offer 3.05% for 7 months and they offered 3.10%. the total difference in $ over that term was $180 or thereabouts. after 7 months he came pricechecking again, we offered 3.05% again while there rate was 2.20%. unfortunately, rabo did not call to advise him of the maturity and the funds were automatically rolled again for 7 months at the retail rate of 2.20%.
as you are required by law to give 31 days notice of intention to close your td, he was stuck on that rate for 7 months and lamented ever taking it from us.
rates aren't everything, sometimes service compensates for a minor shortfall in interest

I have have been a member for almost 3 years now and have brought his book.
When I first started out, I had a rush of blood and brought every stock he recommended without any thought what so ever and got burnt. I have since weeded out the crap and I'm back on top. The trick is, only buy what he personally buys himself with his own money. "Blueprint $100,000 live."

I AM not proud of what I did this week. I used my position in the media to blackmail a man. (And it worked.)

What follows is the true story of how I made a single mother $17,000 in 24 hours.
I AM not proud of what I did this week. I used my position in the media to blackmail a man. (And it worked.)

What follows is the true story of how I made a single mother $17,000 in 24 hours.

Let’s begin ...

Pop!

That’s the sound my brain made when I read the following email from a worried single mum:

Dear Scott,

I am an anxious 46-year-old single mum, raising two boys on $50,000 a year.

I have credit card debts of $17,000. The reason is that I invested in a wealth creation course but have not seen nothing from it yet. I am upset with my decision because I had no debts before that time!

However, I am expecting a gift of $12,000 and I should pay off the cards. But I have zero savings and want some security through having cash in the bank.

What to do?

Leah

I know what you’re thinking, dear reader — the same thing that was going through my noggin:

How the hell does a single mum wind up paying some wealth guru seventeen grand?

So I called up Leah and asked her that very question.

b1c99a5969cbd2db89347926e12f52ab

Single mum Leah.
MORE BAREFOOT INVESTOR

“Look, I’ve been a single mum for 10 years. I’ve been renting all that time. I guess I just wanted a better life for my boys,” she said.

Last week the corporate cops, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, announced they will be sending undercover operatives to pursue property spruikers and identify shonky practices within self-managed super funds.

Well, boys, Leah’s gone undercover for you.

In August 2015, Leah attended a free wealth creation seminar at the urging of a friend. But the seminar was just a sales pitch.

“When I first arrived, my defences were definitely up — it felt like a cult.”

Yet over the course of the next three hours Leah was sucked in as the guru bragged about how wealthy he was, and explained that most people are J.O.B. (Just Over Broke). And that led to his pitch: sign up for a $3000 multi-day seminar and learn the secrets that the rich are keeping from you.

0289dd6703548ee501343e4de2b1bbd1

Spruiker: “Being successful with money requires many steps, but the most important one is giving me money”.
BAREFOOT: HOW NOT TO RAISE A SPOILT BRAT

Problem: Leah didn’t have $3000.

Solution: They offered her a deal — come up with $500 now and pay off the rest at $40 a week.

But the course was just a sales pitch.

When she attended the multi-day course, the spruiker spoke about the value of credit cards.

“He advised us to get multiple credit cards with multiple banks ... so when opportunity strikes you’re ready to invest and take action.”

Strewth!

Now here’s the interesting thing: just before signing up for the course, Leah had proudly paid off her credit card. However, in the communal confines of a multi-day seminar where everyone was getting excited, Leah applied for credit cards with National Australia Bank, ANZ and Westpac — total limit $17,000.

Next, he spoke about the benefits of opening a SMSF. And on cue, he introduced an accountant to the room who offered to set one up — at $2800 a pop.

“They explained that an SMSF is like a bank you can use to fund your property deals ... and that we could invest our SMSF money into property deals with his associate. I only had $42,000 in an industry fund, so I thought what the hell, and signed up for an SMSF.”

9774eb77664343fbc8e2c9adfae6cf67

“It’s easy, just sign here and I’ll take your money”. Picture: Supplied
BAREFOOT: A PARENT’S PAINFUL DILEMMA

The spruiker then brought out his big guns, selling $50,000 ‘mentoring packages’. Leah didn’t take the bait. But as part of her course she’d qualified for a one-on-one ‘mentoring session’ a few months later.

But the mentoring session was just a sales pitch.

“I went in saying to myself there is absolutely no way that I will sign up to anything,” said Leah.

“He sat there in front of me with all the financial details I’d provided in the previous course. He said I was like a windscreen wiper (furiously working, but never getting anywhere) and that I needed to take action ... by doing his course.”

After an hour-and-a-half of hardcore sales pressure, Leah buckled.

But how would she pay for the course?

“He looked at me and said: you’re a single mother, you don’t have any money ... so we need to find another way.”

Remember those credit cards the spruiker advised Leah to open so she’d be “ready when opportunity strikes”?

Well, hot-diggity-dang, that opportunity had just struck!

The spruiker said he would give her a $5000 discount if she signed up for his $21,000 course “NOW!”

46af98a6d6a04cc20cb6fd16f6e46dff

Spruiker: “This wealth creation system may look complex but it’s really simple — you give me thousands of dollars”.
BAREFOOT: MILLENNIALS HAVE TO DO HARD YARDS

Then he pointed to her financials and said “put it on the Westpac card”.

“It was a full-on sales pitch. I walked out of there feeling totally defeated.”

“So,” I asked, “he used high-pressure sales tactics to get you to hand over the money, huh?”

“Yeah,” said Leah glumly.

“Well, let’s give him a taste of his own medicine.”

BAREFOOT TURNS THE TABLES

I called up the organisation and (eventually) spoke to the head wealth guru (spruiker).

Spruiker: “I love the Barefoot Investor!”

Barefoot: “You follow my column?”

Spruiker: “Yes!”

Barefoot: “Awesome! Because next week’s article is about a wealth creation guru who pressured Leah, a broke single mother, into buying his $17,000 course ... on her credit card.”

Spruiker: “ ...”

Barefoot: “Look, I have a very special deal for you today ... but only if you act within the next 24 hours.”

Spruiker: “Huh?”

Barefoot: “Listen to me very, very carefully. If you give Leah a full refund — today — I won’t mention your name or your company’s name in the article I’m writing.”

Spruiker: “But ... you see ...”

Barefoot: “Look, I’m on deadline for the newspaper. If you want this, you need to commit. NOW!”

Spruiker: “I’ll transfer her the money today.”

eefbc2633c1de946a1af3cde87c00a1e

Single mum 1, spruiker 0. Generic image
THE ULTIMATE OPPORTUNITY

“WHAT I’ve done is embarrassing,” said Leah, “but I am not a naive person. I’ve always been good with money. Being a single mum, I have to be. I have to run a tight ship.”

I don’t doubt her for a second, but everyone is vulnerable to emotional manipulation. Even spruikers, which is how we got her money back.

But I wanted her to go a few steps further.

After all, the only reason she started this nightmare in the first place was to provide a better life for her boys — and why the hell shouldn’t she?

So I gave her a copy of my book, The Barefoot Investor, and paid $1000 out of my own pocket to shut down her SMSF and help her roll her super back to a low-cost industry fund.

The other day Leah texted me to say her credit cards were now paid in full.

Of course the spruiker would say she’ll miss an opportunity. I say she’s just landed the ultimate opportunity — total control of her family’s finances.

Tread Your Own Path!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...s/news-story/58fc492336cf868f583b3a091b63b042

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting to see how many companies are offering investment seminars. Many of them are free to attend initially. I've attended two so far.

One was very high pressures sales. Some of what they said sounded good but much of it was scaremongering.

The other was much better and made sense without being so much of a hard sell.

See the propert investment seminar thread on here which I will try and update on the weekend.

I love BFI's work. No bullshit finance. You don't have to agree with everything he says but the majority is good sensible advice for the average person who can't afford to burn money.

How much does he charge for his blueprint service?

$400 PA, although, if you subscribe first to his free newsletter and wait for a special, you'll probably get a $300 first year offer.

Regarding the thread you've just posted on Super, you sound like a smart guy who's thinking long term -- which would suggest safe investment choices.

I'd suggest signing up and devouring everything. He covers a lot more than just shares, so you'll find info on things like Super and Health Insurance as well health insurance. You also get access to a facebook group, which is made up of about 10,000 like minded people sharing often great info. Try it for a year. If it doesn't resonate with you, unsubscribe.

so the arse should now fall out of ING's new customer account growth seeing as though his strategy is centred around atm fee free banking. now that nearly all banks have eliminated atm fees, there is no need to change banks, just restructure your current accounts.

so the arse should now fall out of ING's new customer account growth seeing as though his strategy is centred around atm fee free banking. now that nearly all banks have eliminated atm fees, there is no need to change banks, just restructure your current accounts.
They've already decided to offer credit cards.

Still have the highest interest savings account in the country.

life coaching nothing more, making coin on simpletons, I subscribed and unsubscribed pretty quick

I didn’t find it particularly useful as a money maker being an ever so slightly seasoned investor. However his story is interesting and he sends the right message to those who might not be money savvy. And yes...credit cards are bad. You are using money that you don’t have on disposable items. It is unlike a mortgage or business loan which is either deductible or provides a roof over your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back