What are you listening to right now? - Part 1 (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Music is such a powerful influence on our lives.

When I first heard Urban Hymns I was on the verge of turning thirty, had just gone through a nasty breakup from a very toxic relationship and was travelling around Europe on my own with no plan for the future other than that of immediate hedonistic pursuit.

An English guy I met in Prague gave me his cassette version to listen to on the train and said don't worry about giving it back as he had it on CD back home. It rarely left my walkman.

Bittersweet and Lucky Man blew my mind. Right time, right place. I needed those songs more than I can say.

Somewhat serendipitously, while wasting time in Amsterdam, I discovered that they were playing a gig in Dublin the following week, so I booked a train to Frankfurt, a flight to Dublin and hoped I would find a backpackers that would take me in. Bought a ticket from a scalper on the way to Point Depot and met a fantastic Irish/Spanish chick while I was there.

Absolute turning point for me.

Not the best album I've heard, nor are the songs groundbreaking, but their impact on me at a crucial moment will never be forgotten.

Music is such a powerful influence on our lives.

When I first heard Urban Hymns I was on the verge of turning thirty, had just gone through a nasty breakup from a very toxic relationship and was travelling around Europe on my own with no plan for the future other than that of immediate hedonistic pursuit.

An English guy I met in Prague gave me his cassette version to listen to on the train and said don't worry about giving it back as he had it on CD back home. It rarely left my walkman.

Bittersweet and Lucky Man blew my mind. Right time, right place. I needed those songs more than I can say.

Somewhat serendipitously, while wasting time in Amsterdam, I discovered that they were playing a gig in Dublin the following week, so I booked a train to Frankfurt, a flight to Dublin and hoped I would find a backpackers that would take me in. Bought a ticket from a scalper on the way to Point Depot and met a fantastic Irish/Spanish chick while I was there.

Absolute turning point for me.

Not the best album I've heard, nor are the songs groundbreaking, but their impact on me at a crucial moment will never be forgotten.
Great story man. I enjoyed Bittersweet Symphony coming in the tele on a Saturday morning when I was 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back