news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory MacDonald is making his Bellator debut against Paul Daley very soon. Great fight. If MacDonald's at 100% it's hard to see him losing. Is his nose fully healed now? I don't know. You really don't want to fight Daley if it's not.

The Lawler fight was nearly 2 years ago and he fought Thompson in the meantime, so I'd expect that his nose is back to normal.

Daley's power makes this interesting, but I expect Rory will brutalize him on the ground. He's still one of the best guys in the world at 170 and I think if he manages to avoid Daley's left hook he'll make this look easy. Very keen to see how he matches up with the Larkin/Lima winner should he get past Daley.

If you get a chance, listen to the latest episode of Submission Radio. The Mark Hunt interview is hilarious, just teeing off on Overeem & Lesnar.

DW is saying now that GSP will get a Welterweight title shot instead due to "Bisping being on the shelf."

I'm not sure if that means after Maia, or he cuts in front of Maia though..

I'd be hopeful of it being after Maia given the timeline he had for the Bisping fight.

The UFC athlete summit appears to be going swimmingly. Kajan Johnson got evicted from a Reebok presentation for saying what a lot of people were thinking and Cyborg punched Magana in the face for the stuff she'd been saying on twitter. What Magana was doing at a fighter summit rather than an attention whore summit is anyone's guess, but she's apparently pressing charges which could leave Cris in a spot of bother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pressing charges? Bloody hell...

Apparently so. All reports I've seen have mentioned that she had a split lip with one of them suggesting she had lost a tooth as well. The reports seems to suggest that Cris told her she needed to respect her with Magana telling her to f*ck off while lunging which is when Cyborg threw one punch and left. If the above is accurate and Magana has picked the fight by repeatedly slating Cris on twitter and lunging at her when confronted I wouldn't expect there is much of a case to answer.

DW is saying now that GSP will get a Welterweight title shot instead due to "Bisping being on the shelf."

I'm not sure if that means after Maia, or he cuts in front of Maia though..
DW said "GSP will face whoever is champ at Welterweight" or words to that effect which makes me think Maia gets shot first. Would be criminal otherwise.

WIll never have a title match over there. No stadium with a roof big enough to hold it. A title fight surely gets held at Etihad.
I'd be torn on that. I ended up getting a refund for the last Rod Laver show, but by all reports, the atmosphere and experience s**t all over Etihad. Unless Etihad is guaranteed to be a full sell out. Which I doubt, due to the amount of "casuals" that were only there to see Rousey and it still fell well short of a sell out.

WIll never have a title match over there. No stadium with a roof big enough to hold it. A title fight surely gets held at Etihad.
From memory - didn't the UFC executive sometime in the last 12 months say that if Perth lifted the ban they'd bring a title fight here? Don't quote me on that. I might be thinking of the same thing re: Victoria.

But yeah they'd definitely do a show here at Perth Arena. 18K capacity.

Happy for Rob. Can't help but feel good seeing how he has progressed up the ranks in the middleweight division.

A guy who primarily trained out of a relatively unknown gym in Sydney (just 5 minutes from me, mind you :p) before his first UFC fight has somehow passed every challenge the UFC has given him since (well at least in the MW division), along the way he has grown so much as a fighter and is a testament to his attitude and willingness to learn, over the years he has accumulated and built a very strong core group of trainers. No gimmicks, no big camps, just pure heart, determination and a whole lot of talent.

Happy for Rob. Can't help but feel good seeing how he has progressed up the ranks in the middleweight division.

A guy who primarily trained out of a relatively unknown gym in Sydney (just 5 minutes from me, mind you :p) before his first UFC fight has somehow passed every challenge the UFC has given him since (well at least in the MW division), along the way he has grown so much as a fighter and is a testament to his attitude and willingness to learn, over the years he has accumulated and built a very strong core group of trainers. No gimmicks, no big camps, just pure heart, determination and a whole lot of talent.
Funnily enough, I was going through all the stored crap in my closet a few months ago and stumbled upon an old flyer from back, well before his UFC days, he flew over here to fight for the SFA Welterweight title against local grappler Shaun Spooner, from Bunbury i'm pretty sure?

Whittaker Rob.jpg

He knocked out the local boy in the 1st round - in true Rob Whittaker style and took the belt home.

This would've been his 10th? fight. Back in 2012.

From memory - didn't the UFC executive sometime in the last 12 months say that if Perth lifted the ban they'd bring a title fight here? Don't quote me on that. I might be thinking of the same thing re: Victoria.

But yeah they'd definitely do a show here at Perth Arena. 18K capacity.
Tom Wright got the sack in the wave of lay offs a while back. He did say that but I wouldn't count on it. UFC and all....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back