Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive been wanting it for years but the travelling back and forth from Norway trying to coach the team would have been a logistical nightmare......
Skype it in like Steve Saunders.

DarwinRoo, however, assures me that the list management job has to be done in person, ruling you out and assuring Goldy of unlimited tenure.

Skype it in like Steve Saunders.

DarwinRoo, however, assures me that the list management job has to be done in person, ruling you out and assuring Goldy of unlimited tenure.
The plotting of evil mothers for their sons ( and their illegitimate ones ) remain to be seen to be believed.

Last edited:

Lindsay Thomas has just returned from a 3-week suspension and this is not a wise move... #PJVFL https://t.co/yfyuqYebB5

Apparently no intent...

o_O

Lindsay Thomas has just returned from a 3-week suspension and this is not a wise move... #PJVFL https://t.co/yfyuqYebB5

Apparently no intent...

o_O

Did the other player play on?

It's sloppy but if outcome wasn't bad it's probably under the force required for a sanction.

In saying that it is Lindsay and he'll go for it.

Did the other player play on?

It's sloppy but if outcome wasn't bad it's probably under the force required for a sanction.

In saying that it is Lindsay and he'll go for it.
Palmer wasn't hurt so hopefully for LT there will be no sanction.

Coulda been quite different though.

Coulda been quite different though.

It very much looks that way.

Things like this and clipping the other guy seem to indicate a level of frustration.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.

It was too late to keep on about this last night.

A lot of what has been said about that play mirrors exactly what the commentators said.

"Late hit" - how is it a late hit when you are the one with the ball? This is the worse comment of the lot.

"He's very lucky he didn't contact him the way he wanted to." How the * does that idiot know what Thomas wanted. He just made all that up. It seems to me LT wanted to break the tackle and kick a miracle goal. First thing the prick commentator has done is assume bad faith on Thomas' part. The campaigner.

"Genuine intent to hurt" - its a contact sport based on physical aggression and dominance. If he had genuine intent to seriously injure someone no one was actually hurt then he was very soft about it and obviously you'd have to question his intent. Have a look at my avatar and think back to the events that led up to that. What LT has done is made out to be worse than that.

"He put the elbow out" - it was his forearm and could just as easily been a clumsy attempt to fend as an elbow. More likely in fact as he actually seems to take the tackler on.

Now lets make a comparison with another Thomas.

Have a look at this:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-06-17/saad-cops-one-hard

Look at that. Thomas ignores the ball and shoulders Saad in the head.

Compare the commentary.

"Daisy got him" in an approving tone.

"It was his back." (Cough) BULLSHIT

"That was great commitment from both players." One of them went past the ball and lined the other up.

"Accidental .... (pregnant pause) collision."

"Both players are there. The ball is right there." That ball Daisy just ran past?

"They just both connected at the same time." Yeah that's what happens when someone shoulder charges someone else in the head.

"I think that that was just a clash of two really committed players."

I think we can draw 2 conclusions from this.

1. Whatever Lindsay Thomas does will be spun as evil.

2. Take that Adam. One in the eye for ISIS I reckon.

Cheers.

A lot of what has been said about that play mirrors exactly what the commentators said.

"Late hit" - how is it a late hit when you are the one with the ball? This is the worse comment of the lot.

"He's very lucky he didn't contact him the way he wanted to." How the **** does that idiot know what Thomas wanted. He just made all that up. It seems to me LT wanted to break the tackle and kick a miracle goal. First thing the prick commentator has done is assume bad faith on Thomas' part. The campaigner.

"Genuine intent to hurt" - its a contact sport based on physical aggression and dominance. If he had genuine intent to seriously injure someone no one was actually hurt then he was very soft about it and obviously you'd have to question his intent. Have a look at my avatar and think back to the events that led up to that. What LT has done is made out to be worse than that.

"He put the elbow out" - it was his forearm and could just as easily been a clumsy attempt to fend as an elbow. More likely in fact as he actually seems to take the tackler on.

No he should go. He is Lindsay Thomas. He should not have attempted to protect himself by putting his forearm up. He should have allowed Palmer to hit him hard and maybe suffer an injury to the chest/abdomen.

Cheers.

"He's very lucky he didn't contact him the way he wanted to." How the **** does that idiot know what Thomas wanted. He just made all that up. It seems to me LT wanted to break the tackle and kick a miracle goal. First thing the prick commentator has done is assume bad faith on Thomas' part. The campaigner.

I don't care what commentary or other posters say really. Or what other players get away with. Whatever.

If the argument is that he was trying to break the tackle, you dont break a tackle with a forearm to the face. Was it clumsy? I don't think so. Did Palmer lower into the contest? No. Did LT try break the tackle at Palmers chest, where a tackle should be broken? At no point did that look like his intention.

On first viewing it looked like a s**t thing to do. My opinion has not changed.

No he should go. He is Lindsay Thomas. He should not have attempted to protect himself by putting his forearm up. He should have allowed Palmer to hit him hard and maybe suffer an injury to the chest/abdomen.
Or he could have fended at the chest, not the face, put out a stiff arm or, as is LT's MO, lower into the tackle to draw high contact.

I'm all for LT going in hard and breaking the tackle but at no point in this instance did it look like he was doing anything other than going high with a forearm. I expect better from a senior player fighting for his career.

I'm done on this. My position is pretty clear.

I don't care what commentary or other posters say really. Or what other players get away with. Whatever.

If the argument is that he was trying to break the tackle, you dont break a tackle with a forearm to the face. Was it clumsy? I don't think so. Did Palmer lower into the contest? No. Did LT try break the tackle at Palmers chest, where a tackle should be broken? At no point did that look like his intention.

I completely disagree with your assessment in this case. Usually I don't.

We all see things differently. And approach things differently. Whatever Lindsay Thomas does gets framed as a s**t thing to do.

Its cos his frame of mind is obviously that of a violent thug.

Anyway...

You can break a tackle by putting your forearm to someones upper chest and extending it pushing them off. You can also minimise contact to your head area doing the same thing. It looks heaps worse than it was from the one angle we see at speed. No replays in slow mo, no other angles and no one actually got hurt. It happens all the time.

Finally fend offs/don't argues and contact with a forearm aren't that far removed. Most fend offs involve bending the arm at some point to absorb some energy from the contact then convert it. Fend offs can go high and most don't happen at that speed. But if you watch carefully you'll see footy players raise their arms in the same manner frequently to cope with tackles.

Or he could have fended at the chest, not the face, put out a stiff arm or, as is LT's MO, lower into the tackle to draw high contact.

I'm all for LT going in hard and breaking the tackle but at no point in this instance did it look like he was doing anything other than going high with a forearm. I expect better from a senior player fighting for his career.

I'm done on this. My position is pretty clear.
I would like the record to show that I strongly disagree with this. It's a fend off that's possibly gone a little high. He hasn't gone in looking to get him in the face. I'm disappointed that you would insinuate that he has.

Harsh, especially given the speed he was travelling and the distraction of the first Blues player. The gap between intent (I'm assuming an awkward 'fend off') and action didn't leave much 'think time'.

For me, it's very similar to the Hunter tackle situation last year. A reflex response to try and do something good (tackle, or in this case, fend off) that with the wisdom of hindsight looks really s**t.

In short, I don't think we can judge his intention, despite it not looking the greatest.

I do think the narrative issue (vis-a-vis other players or situations) that ferball raises is perfectly legitimate, especially when it comes to LT for whom the 'starting narrative' is heavily stacked against him.

Hung, drawn and quartered on social media sites.

tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back